Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Marine

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cereal

cereal New Member

Yeah its an improvement overall, but I'm still not totally sold on the whole shield and bayonet thing.

2. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Bayonet is really just for looks, shield is good.

Marines are meat shields.

Meat SHIELDS. Get it ?

Plus, with the new add on for barracks you can mass marines to be effective meat shields

3. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

DK, I am trying to hurt you with my thoughts as hard as I can. You should get a headache sometime today.

As for the bayonet...well...maybe a laser bayonet, that shoots fire. But the shields are cool. It would at least be good for smashing a few faces in.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Laser bayonet? That shoots fire? ::)
    The shield is OK but I can only imagine the bayonet if you can alternate between using that or the rifle. You know, the "new firebat": increased damage at the cost of range. With a mean poking animation :thumbup:

5. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I'm pretty sure this was in another thread...someone back me up?

6. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
  7. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Holy crap, that's a lot of Marines, I'm going through the screenshots now :)

8. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Out of a gameplay perspective, the shield was added as a minor melee defense for the Marines, seeing as they were ***-r*p*d by any melee unit in SC1. The bayonet doesn't serve any purpose though (obviously).

Out of a story perspective, the shields were added as a measure against Zerglings and Zealots (mainly Zerglings i believe) they didn't have melee shields in SC1 because they didn't know about the Zerg at that point (or the Protoss, for that matter).
    So, the shield is mainly there to stem the tide of Zerglings (think roman legionnaires lining up, doing that shield-box thing, w/e it was called), and the bayonet, of course, to slice them to bits.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think you can hide behind the shield from anything really, not only melee. Any ranged attack can be stopped if the shield is good enough. Even lazers from Stalkers for instance, or bullets from other marines and spikes from hydras and whatnot.

10. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yeah it's an all-purpose +15 hp for the marine, so it is factored into every attack, not just melee

and @ SirBaron - I forget the Roman word for it, but the formation was called the Tortoise

11. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Does the marine shield actually help reduce damage taken, or does it just raise the max hp of the marine?

12. paragon

paragon Guest

testudo

13. Steve22x

Steve22x New Member

That symbol in the original shield really looked like the symbol of "las plagas" from Resident Evil 4. If Blizzard realized that then maybe that could be a reason they removed it due to copyright laws, etc..

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i thinks the shields should have some design on them

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the bit were 50 marines got raped by 8 banshees in 2 secs did seem over the top

16. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Tbh i'm a little worried too. Back when I played, I messed around one game and it turned out to be a great strat to use. 2 squads of wraiths, 3-4 sci vessels, all the rest on marines. It was meant as a joke as "Starship Troopers" style battles, but it ended up kicking the shit out of carriers, bcs, reavers. Essentially, anything that rapes marines, you cloak and wipe out with vessels and wraiths, anything they can swarm (which was ALOT of things) you swarm. From the looks of the trailers, siege tanks one hit individual marines and thats not cool. They couldn't do that in the previous game, which leads me to believe they've essentially taken one of the coolest units in the game, and nerfed the shit out of it.

17. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Siege Tanks are more expensive but more powerfull in SC2. Thats why they could blow the crap out of marines in the video.

18. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha they glorified the banshees just a little too much. And you wouldn't be dumb enough to group your marines in a small area either. Microing is key for the terrans. Plus I think it was more than 8 banshees and like less than 50 marines. The costs offsets itself.

19. Ghost

Ghost New Member

^ True, but also, if you are fighting Banshees with light ground infantry and they cloakc you run for cover.

20. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yes, testudo is the Roman word for the formation of phalanxes and whatnot that arranged their shields in defensive positions like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.