Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    A shield is a shield. All it is a hunk of metal between you and the enemy that gives you extra protection. Unless you're a general or something, you don't need a cool futuristic shield. So what if this is in the future? A shield is just a piece of equipment designed to protect you, it's not supposed to look all "futuristic and cool."

2. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Wait, now you are suggesting that Blizz completely reinvent the Terrans so that they are "cooler and more sci-fi"? If you will actually listen to reason for a second and leave your delusional little world you will realize that the Terran aren't about sleek, sexy, hi-tech looking things. If you want that go play Protoss. The Terrans display the grittiness that has allowed them to survive and flourish through the centuries, and no where along the line did any military commander ever want flashy armaments over practical ones. I said this before and I will say it one last time: The shield hasn't changed in 1000 years. It has no need to change in the next 500.

You really need to understand that this isn't Gundam. I realize that you want to make every Marine into a mini Gundam robot, but that doesn't make sense, nor does is it practical. The Starcraft universe is suppose to make sense, and having a shield that covers only 50% of a persons body mass doesn't make sense.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but blizz are improving the terrans right now. its true. look at the marine now... mini mech like robot. the old marines were NOT impressive looking actually. blizzard is actually making terran stronger powerful more high tech now and i cant blame them 10 years ago as their imagination was limited then(only alien starship troopers etc for inspiration. now im sure they have seen war of the worlds, starwars episode 1 2 and 3 warhammer, mech warrior, gundam xp and so on.

it is obvious now that terran looks like how they should be unlike before because it was very nostalgic. remember the tank in the terran cinemtic the ambush or how gay the ghost was in battle of amerigo... and so on. im sure there was some mistakes on those cinematics and blizzard knows it. NOW they are fixing it and making the terran (look) more stronger, new bigger powerful mechs.. etc.

and thus comes my simple suggestion of how the shield should be designed. no big deal. i just thought that it will SOMEHOW surely will contribute to the fact that terran looks cooler badass and stronger now. i also thought that blizzard din't really bother on the look or design of the shield.

if they make the shield looks like mine then OK if not then OK too. stronger or not against the current shield my shield still looks good. its up to blizzard and if they change, there will be no problem for them lorewise explaning why the shield looks "futuristic" and i dont think we will even bother. just because they decided the current shield to look medieval doesn't mean my shield is not terran like. xp because it does or it can be terran like but instead they went for the medieval old style looking shield. =\

anyway just wait for my artwork. the shield pwns. xp

4. capthavic

capthavic New Member

The terrans do use hi tech stuff like lasers but like DE said if you want sleek and sci-fi then play Protoss. part of the reason the marines didn't look that good in the original is because they didn't have the money/resources/experience they do now. But aside from that the terran style is fine the way it is, gritty with lots of big guns.

5. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i dont think there is a lore behind the change looks of marines from the awkward looking armors to now the mech like power suit.. i think that is how the mairine should look like in first place (mech like). it was 10 years ago they(blizz) did not realize it yet so they come up with those but now we have a mech powersuit for the terrans. and coz if the terran or marines for example look the same as before in sc2 lorewise then it would make terran look WEAK and ti would SUCk. so BIG props to blizzard for making them mech like.. now if only the shield could look better.... that would be nice. xp

6. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Now it looks like kite shield... tower one (modern) looks better and covers more... Another thing is that, shield shouldn't have player's color on it (colored shield makes medieval feeling which not fit in SC universe).

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok im not saying it should look EXACTLY like my shield. ofcourse not. it could be bigger and less styled on the edges... as long as it is not plain looking like the one they have right now.

8. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    you know there's more than just looks. What kind of buffs should the shield grant the marines. JUST extra defense? boring...=\

9. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Well, the U-238 Shells just give you more range, but still it's a very important upgrade for the Marine. The shield upgrade is also very important, as it makes your Marines more durable.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yeah, that 15 extra hp can really make a difference. Less susceptible to splash damage, more likely to get out of psi storms alive, that sort of stuff.

11. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    fair enough. So the shield indicates that the marines have extra health. Then how would the U-238 shells be indicated in the game?

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Far as I know there's no indications.

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

u is for uranium, so maybe the bullets will glow

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    That would be depleted uranium, it's just like any other metal except very dense. It's the kind of stuff used to armor tanks.

15. Ichirin

Ichirin New Member

Mmm my question is why oh why would a marine already wearing a heavy armored combat suit need a shield on an arm to make a difference?
    I mean, if the zealots and zerglings can cut through a marine's suit, couldn't they cut as easily through the shield, cutting the marine's arm behind it which would be the same as if the marine used his bare armored fist to block a zealot's psionic blade?

16. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    humans like to spend a few more bucks you know what i mean

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Lorewise the shield seems useful when against other terrans, because of bullets of course. Against the Zerg, it makes sense if you consider the Hydralisks' corrosive acid, so its a good idea to have a shield around in order to protect the weak points of the Terran suit (like the area of the head).
    Same goes with the Protoss. Just imagine an immortal shooting you mercilessly.. Im pretty damn sure you're gonna love a shield to protect yourself against something like that.

Gamewise, it seems like a nice upgrade.. marines are useful at all times, and this gives them a survivability plus that will make them even more effective than ever.

As to the shield's looks.. Don't know, somehow I can tell Blizzard is going to make it like a tower shield of sorts.. and even though It doesn't make sense due to the fact that It must be extremely heavy, It's still going to look great.