1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

Marine shield. what or how it should look like

Discussion in 'Terran' started by zeratul11, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Just because this is in the future doesn't mean they have to look fancier. The tools they use change. The soldiers who use them don't.

2. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but it would help the marine look more cooler and badass. nothing to lose. make the shields look great and more epic than the usual medieval looking shields.

3. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    If it's the future why don't they just have androids to fight for them? That would be cool. If it's the future why are they still using tanks? If it's the future why are they using fire to fight instead of lasers? I hope you see how that argument holds no grounds.

There is nothing epic about marines, they are foot soliders. Basically just meat in a suit that is expendable.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    You also have to take the cost of making those shields into account. If they were to make it all fancy, it would require the government or whoever was paying for their equipment to pay an extra amount of money, and while it might not be much per shield, you have to remember there's hundreds of thousands of these marines, and the extra money that needs to be spent becomes huge. At best these should be just for the heroes so they can be more distinguishable.

5. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

but chaging them would be great. really. it can be brought up lorewise.. even enrgy shields if they want too. no problem im sure the terran are more than rich enough to afford "sharp and detailed looking shields without the paint and shine".

its up to blizzard design team. they've change the tank, the new one looks more HIGH TECH. same with shields it can be done.

6. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Marines aren't suppose to look high tech, they are suppose to be functional. How many times do I have to say this?

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah. IMO the terran marines looks way HIGH TECH a little uncomplete on the stomach part but its ok.

if im not mistaken the terran marines looks like the most high tech and powerful INFANTRY(human) there is in a sci fi genre because of their huge power suit. compare the starwars clone to them or halo's masterchief armor (only armor ei) (haha. he has energy shield and the guy owns.). marines really looks high tech because they look like mini mechs and nothing comes close interms of human infantry well there are some like metroid prime etc. haha. even teh gundam infantries looks like peons compared to the marines.

anyway so add up to them badass futuristic yet gritty looking shields makes them more powerful hightech looking rather than medieval looking shields.

8. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    agree to disagree...

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

I personally like the shields (and you don't have to use them if you don't want) but I agree that they should be more than just a plain rectangle.

If they aren't practical then why do we still use them?

10. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Haha, page 2 is like the exact duplicate of page 1.

ps I can't believe you're comparing Starcraft to that cr*p. Shields are just eye candy in that game, that's why they look so fancy. Zeratul, bottom line: if your shield was to be produced in real life it would last about 2 hits from the enemy. If your shield got into Starcraft 2 then it'd make Marines look pathetic.

11. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Actually, theres no recoil in the marines rifles, since they use electromagnetic energy to accelerate the bullets. I'll give you a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_Gun

12. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

i made a composite sketch of what i find it should be

hillbilly shield ftw

btw tavisman all guns have recoil. law of phisics state that any force requires a equal counterforce, such as when youshoot any gun forward the recoil is the opposate of that force pushed on your body, but because bullet small and person is not it usualy doesent move you much. w00t reading ftw

13. kuvasz

Hungary
    Thanks tweak for sparing me the post ;D

Nice sketch btw. Do the sides act like a saw in close combat? :p

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I would never use that shield. Its too damn small I would get shot in tha face then shot in the knee.

I think the current shields are just fine

15. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no my futuristic shields are damn strong. like i said its a high tech mech shield appears weak but NOT.

ow wait for my actual artwork. xp

16. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Woops my bad. I however do think that the recoil is smaller than in regular guns, since the bullet is not accelerated explosively as in regular guns, but in fact uses a number of coils to gain velocity, thus giving the same recoil total, but not all of it at the same time.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Zeratul how "strong" is pretty much based on the material of the shield so no matter "strong" the other shields would have the same "strength". In this case it comes down to personal preference and from what I have read so far in this thread most people like the current and dislike your idea.

SO DROP IT. YOU KEEP SAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN DESPTIE THE FACT PEOPLE KEEP GIVING YOU REASONS WHILE YOUR ARGUMENT IS INCORRECT AND THEN YOU COME BACK "MY FUTURISTIC SHIELDS ARE STRONGER THAN THAT' IT WILL BE OF EQUAL STRENGTH JUST DIFFERENT EFFICIENCY.

And the more efficient shield will be the simpler one. Thats how it always is. The current shields are simpler than the idea you are suggesting which makes them more efficient than your idea for a similar strength level which makes them better. If you want to argue personal preference make a poll.

18. kuvasz

Hungary
    I'd like to add to Lordkerwyn's post by saying that the construction is just as important as the material it's made of. That is the reason why some buildings collapse while others don't. Zeratul, your shield may be built of a very strong material but you can't deny the fact that the bits sticking out are considerably weaker than, say, the centre of it. Consequently, they'll break off during battle, which will upset the whole structure of the shield thus making it weaker as a whole. You could of course use a ridiculously strong and heavy material to do the whole shield and thus make the bits sticking out unbreakable, but the weight of the shield would make it impossible to use it.

19. vinzel

vinzel New Member

ok lets put a side everything, the material, how strong it is and... whatever
    focus on the DESIGN of the shield, the current shield looks so primitive and so ridiculous, its supoust to be the year 2999 THE FUTURE!! so everything HAVE to look futuristic and thats what zeratul has draw...
    i really hate the idea of the shield and bayonet in SC2, but i would use the shield of zeratul because looks awesome and futuristic

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yah, starcraft is heading 2500 in the future. i really hate the primitive things the terrran always use, why can't blizzard invent some innovative weapons and quit the realistic thingy goin on like pistols, sc is a sci fi after all. i have another version of a marine with shield artwork. the shield design is somewhere in the middle of the current one and a "futuristic" looking shield. hope i can upload it by tommorow. ^^