1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine (continued)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Oct 7, 2007.

Marine (continued)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

Space marines are not cannon fodder. If u put a space marine and a SC marine then i am pretty sure a Space marine would win. only because there way more technonology advanced than the SC marine. Space marines are made for all types of combat. Sc marines are only useful with there gauserifle. Plus hardened criminals have nothing to fight for. Space marine fight for devotion and devotion alone. Also space marines can rape vechiles.....Space marines equiped with anti vechile can take down any vechile. aka rocket launchers. So your statement about space marines being cannon fodder is false because you can easily win a Dow game with a hoarde of them all equiped with the right equipment. SC marines i think not..... They get owned by what.... zealots.... i rest my case...

2. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    By chance events I meant that I don't want percentages in the game.

I want either 100% damage or 0% damage. The only exceptions to this are unit and damage types, but that has nothing to do with an ability.

Abilities should result in either 100% damage or 0% damage. There are a few exceptions. Otherwise, the only terrain that should "reduce" damage are doodads and cliffs. I just don't like Marines being able to entrench even further. They're already hard enough to kill.

3. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

ok, I see what you're saying

just to make sure I'm clear - you don't have a problem with hiding in tree doodads, etc - you just don't like the idea of something a unit can do that inserts extra variables in the game

right?

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes. Exactly. It can insert CERTAINTIES, but not variables.

Things like Dark Swarm, Defensive Matrix, Plague, etc. They are all certainties rather than "30% chance of killing this unit."

"Reduction of 10% of unit speed." Even Ensnare only slows a unit's movement instead of slowing its attack which keeps it out of the "chance" area.

5. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I think I understand why you feel that way too. Extra variables like that are hard to test conclusively for balance I guess. So it's better if the damage dealing mechanisms aren't too complicated.

Well then, just like Templar can merge into Archons - Marines and Medics should have a similar "Conjugal Visit" ability that temporarily increases the HP's of both.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

"Marines and Medics should have a similar "Conjugal Visit" ability that temporarily increases the HP's of both."

umm... that's.... interesting....

7. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

why would it increase the hp of the medic? she is the one getting butt slammed.... :p

8. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Well, it was a joke... but if both parties don't enjoy it... somebody ain't doing something right.

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

10 squads of space marines will not stand up to 10 dreadnaughts or tanks, unless they all have rocket launchers, which would put them more on the level of seige tanks, really. marines should only be compared to space marines without weapon upgrades.

10. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

ok.. but even if u take away the wep upgrades. sure of course the space marines will lose. but they will still have done way more damage. then SC marines...I am only saying Dow marines are better...

11. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

uhh... excessive quotes anyone?

12. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

sorry for the qoutes lol. i will stop qouting but i will continue the debate. for da hoarde and cookies.

13. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

oh really, 10 space marine squads will beat 200 marines?

14. Flesh

Flesh New Member

I wonder how will this marine upgrade affect the use of marines in late game. In TvP you prolly won't use marines at all couse of the psi storm and maybe even the Colossus, in TvT tanks own marines and I don't think +10hp will change anything there. On the other hand, inn TvZ matches marines seemed to have enough hp as it is (with medics healing them). So unless the zerg have some nasty surprises, what is the point of implementing this marine upgrade?

15. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

yes they would. you can put 8 or 9 marines in a squad.... thats 90 or 80 marines at how u put it.... space marines would beat the crud out of SC marines... Space marines can take a artillery hit, squiggoth ram, tank shots, tau lasers, and much much more. SC marines what get poked by a zealot psionic blade a few times and there dead. They get maimed by a zergling and there dead.... anything else you wanna ask...

16. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

I just wanted to point out a couple things. The marines are different in each game because they are used against different units. (SC marines are just basic low units used to be your first militry unit which can beet miners / Space marines were made to be some what useful against all units in some way all game) The population cap I recall was a lot lower then SC's so you ended up trying to fill up your whole cap then tacticaly using the forces you chose. The space marines were cheap and they could be upgraded to still do something later on.

W00tz for run ons... I almost fell asleep/got confused typing this so don't kill me...

17. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

but u just proved my point if u put a space marine against a Sc marine. the space marine would win...

18. Flesh

Flesh New Member

And if a space marine went up against Hell Bovine the bovine would win, cause bovine can withstand sorceress's meteor strike, and we just know space marines can't survive a direct meteor hit, don't we?
    Please stop this pathetic War40k vs Starcraft discussion, this is a marine thread.

19. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Maybe the damage ratio is different. maybe health is measured differently. Maybe there are better or worse types of armor in either game. Any type of variable could change what is better because both games are based on groups with different technology.

20. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

marines are meant to be useful en masse. space marines fall just as easily when in small numbers. besides, zerglings usually outnumber them, and zealots are meant to be much more powerful, you might as well pit them against 2 or 3 squads of assualt marines.