1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya that sounds like a good idea a sheild that folds out of the armor it would solve a lot of problems concerning desing and use

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

You would think that the future would have something more high tech then riot shields by then.

3. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    ya but it would be weird to see a Terran with an energy shield and would probably ruin the game so there probably is better technology but it would look out of place

4. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

Maybe the marines should have an offensive option as well as a defensive option. As a strategic choice.

5. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Offencive could be the default position, and once you get the shield upgrade, you can use the defence position.

When you go to defencive position, the marine gives up 1 attack power and gains 1 armor.

6. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

hmm, yea Eon , that would work.
    Maybe they only get the armor bonus from the front though (or what ever the shields direction is)

7. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I mentioned that earlier, it could be changed from air to ground defence and should repel some mele attacks, but in my opinion, I think 1 armor would be more usefull then 1 attack, but I think that would still be more ballanced.

8. ironpanda

ironpanda New Member

I sound familiar with the siege mode, even if not much it still big when it about 2 unit that are in the same faction.

9. Hellblade

Hellblade New Member

The shields are ridiculous. Plain and simple - shields are medieval things and no longer exist in modern warfare because they DO NOT WORK with modern warfare.

On another note, the original marines in SC1 were able to launch explosive grenades JUST LIKE the opening movie of BroodWar. It was taken out of the game for balancing but why haven't they put it back??????

10. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Hellblade no offense but since now I've only read complaing posts from you. I don't know why is anything bad that Blizz finds out.
    That is an interesting idea.. I hope they will make it.. I am sure that some would try to make formations, where the shields face to the enemy. That is an other reason to micro your units.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The reason they don't work in modern warfare is because guns let you engage at range. SHields are designed to deflect physical blows from a melee weapon. Zerglings and Zealots (escpecially now) are able to close on the marines and attack them in hand to hand combat so the shield would definitley be usefull assuming its strong enough to susrvive such an attack

12. Hellblade

Hellblade New Member

Martial arts and bayonets and knives are still a major part of modern warfare. But let's just get back to the fantasy world of starcraft.

Hunter,
    No offense taken. I just don't bother to compliment on something that I know be great. I just want to point things out that can be considered for changes. :)

13. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

any one suggest smoke grenades yet?

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Smoke grenades? That gave me an idea. It would be interesting if a unit had the ability to temporarily cloak other units (and itself) in a small area with a smoke grenade for a few seconds, about 10.
    But it would not fit the massable Marine, but perhaps another unit. Man it would be sweet if Siege Tanks could use these smoke grenades once a tank or per cooldown or something...
    They would launch gas shells over long distances, temporarily cloaking unit in about the same radius as its splash, not very imba since you would have to launch a lot of them to cloak a hole army. It would open up for a lot of tactics.

15. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

A line of sight block would make more sense. We already saw concealing vegetation.

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I don't think it will be overpowered since players can seen giant blotches of grey on the map.

17. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    well look over there!, theres a giant puff of smoke wonder whats that doin there.. o well lets keep searching for those marines!!

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Well, you would have to bring a detector in order to attack them.

19. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    lets try to stay on subject here smoke grenades are just lame in an open Field of play and gets to close the the dark swam of the defler but that's just my opinion

as to this idea i agree i remember a discusion on the marines having a bayonet so to balance the unit you would have to choose 1 of 2 upgrades:

bayonet +1attack and added melee attack
    shield +1 armor and a Chance at deflected melee attack

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I would pick the shield, since it is 1 armor and because it looks beter then a blade.