1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

Marine Ability Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Frosty, Dec 7, 2007.

1. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Still, the shields are to help out the marines with their defence, not to make them a defensive units as a whole. I think thats where you're coming from.

The shield doesnt make them a defensive unit, it just helps out. Whereas the shields in other games, usually belong to defensive units(footman, etc)

2. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    This hold ground with the shield wall stance reminds me of something.. Ah yeah the "fortestudo" formation the roman soldiers used to avoid the enemy archers (with the front line creating a wall, the sides other walls and the soldiers in the middle a roof, they looked like a box.. It is a very slow moving formation, let me know if I am wrong)
    It would be a good upgrade tough, but starcraft is a game where you can (could) control each unit to other locations, give them other orders, but a formation would need lots of units, and that would end the freedom of the controls.
    (I played war games where you could only control groups of 100 people or others, I didn't like it, but maybe it's my fault) :)

3. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

I sorta like the original bad ass suicidal marine

4. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Ok I think you guys may like this idea 4 the marine. The sheild will permanently increase their health but it will be on their backs untill you but them into a defencive mode. In defence mode they would move 40% slower and have 40% more defence and their shooting abilit would not be affected at all.

5. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    in reply to nEveR_LifT the you will still have your bad ass suicidal marine you know and love so much the upgrade will mearly assist the role of the marine and is optional.

and to you darth bane you are right on the money with that description thank you for further clarifying the subject

6. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

forget the shields. we want launch grenades like the ones in CoD4. i'm inspired now.

7. Lantz

Lantz New Member

i'm with Frosty on this one. the Marines don't have to make a box formation, but it would be cool to see a wall formation of marines, shields up, firing into an oncoming swarm of zerglings. this could be very useful in chokepoints.

8. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    thank you for your support lantz

9. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I think it's cool too. Your marines behind bunkers crouching and shooting zerglings.

10. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I'm gonna reply to this without reading most of the other replies because I feel so strongly about it.

Shields on marine look cool IMO. Its already been said in other posts that marines are in bio-mechanical suits that increase strength at least 10 fold. I don't think lore wise the shield fucks things up.

An ability? Yes that sounds exactly like the footmen from war 3 (war 3 almost sucks).
    SC is not huge on micro. Let me expand at the right place and the right time. Let me manage my mins/gas to produce the right units for the situation. DON'T make me spend cash on an ability that I have to activate (micro) on a low tier unit.

Shields r0x0r my s0x0r as is.
    (Sorry for the leet speak, but it's a language we all speak fluently.)

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

L33tness? Lol. I still don't think it shouldn't be upgradable, how hard is it to get on one knee, and shoot zerglings holding giant shields.

12. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    OK so it doesn't have to be an upgrade it can be a standard thing and damit man I've never played war craft this may be similar but you can tweak it in any way you want the point was to improve the marine not mirror other games and if it was that damn similar why give them shields any way

13. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I wish marines could also execute tacticle rolls when fighting ranged units lol.

14. Frosty

Frosty New Member

California U.S.
    what would they roll to most fights take place in open fields lol

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Still, look cooler.

16. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Strange idea, but I don't think it will be used. It would be wasted processing power that could be used for other aspects of the game.

Since most battles are in open fields, it wouldn't do anything for the army's chances of success.

17. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I meant like different attack animations, since they don't have to much of a fancy looking attack as a dark templar.. I just think it would just be beter then watching the same units spray at each other, a few feet away.

18. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Thats identical to the shield ability Footmen have in WC3. ;)

19. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Lol, that has been what most people are argueing about.

20. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

Marines doing combat roIlls would be a really cool thing to see. I'm all for the shield idea so long as it not be permanently on display( make it open out of their armor). Yes you would have to micro it, you had to micro stims in sc1. why not micro shields?