1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lurkers...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 11, 2010.

Lurkers...

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 11, 2010.

1. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    Well, then it's a mixture of both reasons. Lurkers aren't in this game because they would have been overpowered with fungal growth, and also because they overlapped roles with banelings (splash, possible cloaked attacker), roaches (cloaked attacker), and brood lords (siege unit).

2. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Lurkers never did splash damage, they attacked in a line, and there were also seige units in Brood War with Guardians and Lurkers, but no one complained about the overlap then. I didn't know roaches could attack while cloaked, they must have buffed them.

3. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    SPLASH damage in a line.

The lurker wasn't a siege unit in brood war. It did not outrange static defenses like guardians did.

Well they can't attack while cloaked, but they might as well be able to because you can get 30-40 of them, pop up around the enemy army, attack once, then burrow again to heal. If the opponent doesn't have a mobile detector, his army will quickly get whittled down to nothing.

4. Mattbaumann777

Are you saying the Lurkers in Sc2 were supposed to have a bigger range and function as a seige unit? That would be pretty rad. I get that it would be kinda OP with fungal growth though. I'd still rather have a denfensive unit over an ultralisk though. Only because I never really used ultras. I found them to be clumsy and they just got in the way of everything instead of doing anything useful.
    I do hope they buff roaches attack or HP before they release the game if they're going to keep them at 2 supply.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    lurkers were 6 range in SC1 (I think)
    but they had an upgrade that gave them 9 range (siege range)

6. Mattbaumann777

That would have been deadly and extremely useful. Does anyone else think that the defensive structures like spine crawlers or Protoss cannons should be a little stronger? It's too bad you can't pay money and upgrade them like in tower defense games. I guess they don't want people just turtling and building cannons/crawlers but I always thought they should be more capable of holding your base. I believe the spine crawlers only do 25 (+5) damage instead of 40.

7. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    but they attack faster (I think)

but Zerg were never known for there base defence either so its kinda stupid to agrue that it should be stronger when it hasn't ever been in need of being stronger. Zerg defence is a mix of defence structures and units, and to get proper defence you can build evolution chambers n stuff in front of ur spine crawlers to extend there life and let them dish out more damage. You could easily use this tactic with the other races by putting cannons behind gatways (that block the choke to ur base) or terran doing the same with supply depots or barracks (tech buildings)

8. Mattbaumann777

Well they used to have Lurkers for ground defense against drops and frontal assaults, so without Lurkers, I'd like to see the spine crawlers at least do as much damage as the Sunkens in BW, if not more. I always hoped that Spores would get a bonus to massive ships like Carriers and Battlecruisers.

9. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    but hydra/currupters eat up capital ships, spore crawlers aren't meant to kill capital ships.

hydras were also significantly buffed in SC2 because of there attack. (and I'm sick of who ever keeps saying that they've been nerfed)

what was 10e (explosive damage aka 25% damage to light units 50% damage to medium and 100% damage to heavy unts)

now they do 12 to anything, that means 12 damage a shot to a marine instead of 2.5 damage to a marine.
    and 12 instead of 5 and 12 instead of 10

Hydralisks have better damage vs any unit then what it did in SC1, yes they lost speed, yes there two supply but they still have there range upgrade (which I get right after I get them anyway) which is very useful, and not having the speed only makes the Zerg use creep tumors to help with use of a more defencive role.

Also Roach Hydra is very effective but may be a little too insane if they were only 1 supply.

I wouldn't mind the roach and hydra to be switched (like it was for like a week, months before the beta) and the roach was buffed quite a bit.

10. Mattbaumann777

Since Hydras are slow and deal more damage than before, I think the best option is for Hydras to stay at 2 supply and have more health, like 100. Roaches need to go back down to 1 supply to give the swarm feel back to the Zerg where you can encircle your opponent and attack him on all sides, over-running his defenses. With higher supply rates, it doesn't leave you much room for bigger units like Brood Lords and Ultras. Roaches would be better able to charge Terran mech since the front half would take the hits and the back half would keep coming and engage the mech. If roaches stay at 2 supply, you can only have half as many of them and your army becomes less flexibly and less able to engage head on. Zerg are supposed to be about expendable units and swarming the enemy to overwhelm him.