1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Level 2 Nukes

Discussion in 'Terran' started by CannonFodder, Apr 4, 2008.

Level 2 Nukes

Discussion in 'Terran' started by CannonFodder, Apr 4, 2008.

1. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I don't think being burrowed should have anything to do when being nuked. Because the unit only goes at most a couple meters into the surface, it wouldn't get much protection from the nuclear blast or the fallout.

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    That's actually not a counter, in fact, it's what makes the Protoss susceptible to plague.

Against Protoss, plague deals damage directly to the HP and not the shield. Not counting buildings, the highest HP any Protoss has is 300. So any and all Protoss units hit with plague are guaranteed to have 1 HP, permanently, as it can not be recovered in any way. Plagued Protoss are damaged goods, and they're not exactly like the Zerg where you can just throw away and replace with new.

Zerg players love plague-ing carriers for a good reason, it makes them into 1 HP 150 shield target practice blimps. And if you had a Terran team mate throwing down EMPs... then it's LOL time. 1 HP carriers.

3. Vestige-

Vestige- New Member

they should have a nuke that obliterates an entire portion of the map
    and then have units that get near that area start to have a sweating animation and lose health due to radiation, unless it is zerg, who end up getting stronger because their race is entirly built up on evolution

4. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    No if that was put in place then the protoss would be able to use weapons that wipe out whole planets. Even though it's not the most realistic thing, the nuke in SC1 worked because it wasn't too strong.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never said counter, I said that's their way of dealing with it. As you said, all their units are reduced to one health from a single Plague. If they didn't have their shields, then that would be one health in total. Also as you said, Protoss aren't a team where you throw away the old a replace with the new, so the Zerg having an ability that guarantees the loss of all but one of all their units' health, then the Protoss are in huge trouble. Fortunately for them, they've got their shields which aren't effected and allow them to carry on fighting, relatively unharmed. The shields are the Protoss' way of dealing with Plague.

6. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I disagree Hex, shields take full damage from all attacks, and are usually weaker than a units health. This basically means that you paid all that hard earned minerals on a powerful unit, only to see it die twice as fast in combat.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Plague isn't a regular attack though, it bypasses the shields and go straight for their health. If Protoss didn't have shields, they'd fall to Plague like flies to Mortein. How can you disagree with that?

8. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I think the first nuke should be mid range on the tech tree and it should be a weak nuke, The reason i say it like this is because the nuke already dosntt get enough play. Then the upgraded nuke should be where the (Current nuke) is on the tier list. I like seeing firework shows but late-late game its just not worth the effort agenst an enemy espicaly when that late in the game detectors are all over the place.

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    @hex Because their shields are so weak, they still die way too easily once they have been infected with plague. While the shields do help, plague is still best against the protoss because they have no way to recover lost health.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I said relatively unharmed. Relative being to if they had no shields. If they didn't have any they'd be practically dead, but with shields, they're able to continue fighting, even if it's not for as long as if they hadn't been plagued. If the Terran didn't have Medics or SCV's, they'd be dead against Plague. If Zerg didn't have a slight regeneration and copious numbers, not to mention Plague as well, they'd be dead against Plague. If Protoss didn't have shields, they'd be dead against Plague.

11. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Can someone make it more clear as to why this Plague discussion is relevant to the Nuke discussion?

12. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    oh i gots an idea!!!

since its a nuke it should irradiate and EMP!!!

well with an upgrade for balance...

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ 10-Neon. Someone said it was strange how Nukes are so costly and take so much time to set up, etc, but Plague is free and easy to use. The answer was that Plague is weaker and each team has a way to combat it.

@ overmind. That's already been brought up and discussed several times. In short, it's not a very practical idea.

14. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    this post is kinda moot now as the nuke does 800 damage right now, which would make an upgrade kinda overpowering.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The upgraded Nuke doesn't have to do over eight hundred damage, why can't it just be that the unupgraded Nuke does less? I'm not really for this idea of having an upgraded Nuke, but just because we've learnt that the Nuke now does so much damage, it doesn't make the thread worthless.

16. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think this whole thread was discussing the possibility of a weaker Nuke before the final one. People suggested to make two levels of Nuke to have a weaker one where it can be used earlier in the game, more often, etc. I don't think many people arguing for the Level 2 Nuke wanted an even stronger one on top of the original, aside from compensating for having a weaker one in the first place.

17. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    The nuke used in SC in a tactical nuke, not a balistic missile nuke like in C&C series. The purpose of the tactical nuke, is that, even though is weaker than the normal one, the rad level is way lower and units with protection suits can still operate there if they weren't in the area when the nuke exploded and they are still alive. At the moment, the nuke does 800dmg, i think this is ok. I don't think tier dmg upgrade for nukes will be good, but some upgrades for the nuke can be implemented (maybe upgrades that u can choose in tier 3... EMP if u fight protoss, Irradiate if u fight zerg etc) but not something extraordinary powerfull, just a little advantage.

18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    that idea has been discussed at least three times in this thread, in fact I think it is on this very page!
    As before, if the nuke could gain an upgrade like that it would extremely imba. Even though it make sense lore-wise to make a nuke do those sort of things, according to that justification, the protoss should be able to blow up planets.

19. jenna010986

jenna010986 Guest

that's a very massive nuke bomb, nukes in the previous installment destroys 3/4 of the base. Can I see that level 2 nuke thing?

20. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

^ the nuke in SC wasn't that powerful at all and if you were good about how you made your base a nuke could only take out your initial base defenses, and in combat you couldn't really drop a nuke on your own guys so the nuke was mostly a weapon used when you were already wining.

I think the EMP nuke is too IMB would let you take down a base in one shot.

Last edited: May 25, 2008