1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's guess D3 classes!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 28, 2008.

Let's guess D3 classes!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Forum' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Melee =Barb, ranged= Wizard? maybe, hybrid with pets=Doctor? It's a caster for god sake it can't melee :O. A real hybrid is Paladin or Druid or D1's rogue

We need 2 Physical damage
    2 Casters and 1 Hybrid

We have Barb physical
    We have 2 casters Wizard and Doctor
    Missing in action, 1 hybrid and 1 physical. 1 Physical with bows/spears like the Amazon and 1 hybrid like paladin's aura hammerdin zeal/shield.
    That's my take at the classes’ breakdown.

@Mee: I always had the idea that a bow might be strong enough so that any phisical class can use one. It would be a neutral weapon and usefull for any class. So most physical damaging class can switch bewteen their bow when in long range situation and switch back to melee. It would be hard to implement in Diablo since everyone is used to a more class specific bow setup.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Well I definitely wouldn't consider the Witch Doctor as a conventional caster, and his dagger appeared to be enchanted or something. From the direction of his character I wouldn't be surprised if he got skills reminiscent of Poison Dagger or something, what with sacrifices and ritual killings, and all.

Also, the Wizard isn't genuinely a clear-cut spellcaster either. A lot of she abilities revolve around dealing melee damage, like Spectral Blade and Magic Weapon, and she's got a lot of spells to deal with the perils of combat without being as durable other characters like the Barbarian, like Mirror image and all her different kinds of Armours..

3. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    No no, it's all the diseases on the knife from all the killing and never washing it. All the sacrifeces add up and you never know what those people might've had before dying

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    as i posted but it appears to have disappeared, i would like to see a atlatl as an alternative to the usual bow.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You mean like... Hepatitis and HIV?!

*Shudders*

I'm sure glad I wasn't stabbed through the heart by his serrated stone dagger otherwise I could have contracted something! Haha.

That's not a bad idea. I remember they were used in Redwall at some stage. But if that was the case, javelins and spears would have to act as both a primary weapon, like bows and crossbows, as well as acting like a secondary weapon, like arrows or bolts.

Along the lines of more exotic ranged weaponry, I'd like to see a sling. They'd be able to get some awesome visuals when using a weapon like that, for both ranged and melee combat.

6. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Atlatl could and range, damage and other bonuses to spears/javelins, that'd be neat.

Also maybe sling could be used in similar way for some of WDs skills if he's got more throwing skills like that fireball

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    There'd need to be a way to add it though. Bows and crossbows are two handed weapons, so they can have the free slot available for their arrows and bolts, but javelins and throwing spears are one handed and often used with shields, so there wouldn't be a place for the atlatl. Also, range doesn't really matter in Diablo. Another nice bonus for it could be projectile speed. I reckon increased projectile speed would work really well for ranged attacks.

Well I'd like for the sling to be a universal weapon. Just like the atlatl wouldn't just be used by a physical ranged class like the Rogue or Amazon, the sling shouldn't just be used for the Witch Doctor's concoctions. Besides, I can't imagine cracking down on a monster's head with a sling of Skull of Flame going down too well for either the monster or the Witch Doctor.

8. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Atlatl would take the shield slot, like in case of having 2h weapon instead of sword & shield, you'd sacrifice some defense for more power.
    Yeah, range doesn't really work for that one, but damage and projectile speed could

As I've said before, I'm of opinion that if there are no skills associated with a weapon, there's little point to choose it over one that you have skills for.
    Of course sling would be usable by most/all classes, I just thought it could give an added bonus if used with some skills. In case of WDs fireball it could add range since it has short one to begin with. I'm not saying it should be specific weapon for WD, but he'd get a little boon for using it, others could have other little bonuses for using various weapon types.

9. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

sling should have knockback

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I guess. Using javelins with a shield might work, but using an atlatl with a shield wouldn't.

I wouldn't say that's the case. I often carried around a ranged weapon on my Barbarian, just in case it was wiser to stay back, and none of them had skills associated with them. The same applied to melee weapons if you decided not to take up a Mastery. Weapon choice is just based on what's available to you and your own preference. There are still skills which relied solely on a weapon, like with the Amazon, but that was related to the weapon being a requirement, so wasn't as simple as having a skill associated with it.

Slings could either be like a bow or crossbow, with the sling in one hand and the pouch in the other, or like javelins and throwing knives, with the sling in one hand and a shield or other weapon in the other, or it could even be a combination, like a bow or crossbow but also having a melee attack.

Bows and crossbows work fine, so I don't see why slings couldn't work as a stand-alone weapon.

Ah, k. But it's not that the Skull of Flame has shot range, it's just that it takes longer to travel further.

11. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    You'd be using atlatl in one hand and javelins as ammo in the other. Only it would be weapon raising the javelins' damage unlike bows, where arrows are just ammunition and all power is in the bow

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, I know. I was agreeing with you there. You'd require two hands to fit the javelin or throwing spear inside the atlatl and the other to hold and throw it, just like bows and crossbows. In fact, assuming that the shield is lashed to the arm, which it should be, seeing as you're only using one hand to throw it, you would actually be able to have both.

I reckon if there was going to be something like the atlatl that it should be the main weapon and introduce another type of ammunition being the throwing spear or something. Keep throwing spears and javelins separate. After all, the weapon itself is the atlatl, not the throwing spears, just like with bows and arrows, the weapon itself is the bow, not the arrows.

13. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

just googled atlatl.... quite a nice idea for a weapon you got there, maybe it can be used as a spear or javelin socket filler...

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    What, like an atlatl gem? Why can't it be a weapon? The bow's a weapon, and it fires arrows. The atlatl's a weapon, so why can't it just normally fire throwing spears?

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i understand what you mean, only i am all pro for making the weapon types more unique

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    But in that example you're more removing it as a weapon an adding it as an accessory, like Runes are to Skills. If this is going to be its own weapon type, then it'll need to actually be a weapon.

I'm still all for the sling. It's more unique. Hasn't been done at all before.

17. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

how about a yoyo, haha. They used to be a weapon in Philippines :)

atatl seems interesting though

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  18. the8thark

the8thark New Member

Haha. There used to be a really old game for the NES. Back in the 80's called Startropics. The game was meh in my opinion. But the point was a yo-yo was the first weapon you got there. And it worked alright. But would it be a little too modern for this setting, you know the old age of magic and steel that Diablo is trying to portray.

19. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i don't really the sling as a general weapon but i think it would be interesting if the witch doctor could use some of his skills with it.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Bah! How come everyone's against the sling? :(

Along the lines of more exotic weaponry there could also be a blowpipe, which would against work for more tribal characters like the Witch Doc, but would work for hefty characters as well. Not as well as the sling, obviously, but still work. :p