1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Larva Egg Morphing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

Larva Egg Morphing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by gtx75, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

The original prevented the eggs from being too much of an annoyance because they were barriers. making them medium would only clog your base up even more. Making them push barriers or only passable by your units sounds a little too unrealistic to me.

2. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    Agree with this, they should add a growing egg animation. I think it's a good idea. But they shouldn't make them exactly like ultra's size, coz that's too big :) it will look like a drone morphing in a base bcause of his enormous size.

3. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I like the eggs the way they were in the first SC. While it was a little odd when large units popped out of the egg, the trade off was to mkae a larger egg that blocks all units, and is stupidly hard to kill. Given the choice I'd take the weird egg size.

4. Thalion

Thalion New Member

I wish to see in egg animation moving shadow/outline of developing zerg - insectoid/larva-like motion (there is something... ;)

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Im not sure about this. I don't want someone doing a flyby with a suicide unit and see exactly what units I am building before they are done.

You can't do that to Terran and Protoss production so they would have an advantage because the units have to be built before you know what counters you need to build. If you can see what you need to stop zerg before their units are done then you can get the counters built sooner reducing th ability of the zerg player to fight you effectively

6. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    which is why all zerg eggs should look the same in both size and texture

7. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

I don't think they need to reshape the egg. It's like with other buildings, you don't have a clue what's going to pop out of it when they are making a unit. Then again, maybe some way to point that it's a unit from a certain tech level for the Zerg. I mean, the Hatchery can produce EVERY unit for the Zerg, while the Toss have a Gateway, Stargate, etc. Maybe for low tech lvl units like Zerglings, Hydralisks, etc, should have one distinguishing factor, while the others have another, you know?

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Another problem with eggs gradually growing in size is that in situations where an Ultralisk egg is surrounded by say, Zerglings, it would start pushing them back. That's not really a problem, but it would look funny IMO.

An Ultra egg initially surroundable by 12 Zerglings, pushed back, surroundable by 16 Zerglings, pushed back surroundable by 24 Zerglings, something like that. Kinda weird.

9. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I like your idea because then it seems more realistic, but the downside is that the enemy might be able to tell the difference in size of the egg and therefore the unit in the egg and make the appropriate counter.

10. FingerAssassin

FingerAssassin New Member

I think the EGGS should all have the same size, or else the Terran Barracks Factories , Protoss Stargates, and stuff like that should have some sort of TELL what unit they're building aswell xD.

11. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    if your gonna build an ultralisk, just let the egg grow little by little and when it reaches 10-5secs before hatching, let it grow to an ultralisk sized egg

as for the cocoons, why do they float in mid air? they could just have an egg animation of a weedy/slimy/nerve-tentacle thinngy on the ground and the cocoons dangles from it, that way iot could be like a real cocoon that hangs from an tree

and zealots can kill it now XD

12. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    The size modifier of the egg is a good idea. But when I think about Terran with the scan ability, seeing eggs tells him you’re producing but he has no idea what. If he sees that you have 3 huge eggs about to pop out, he might realise that you are popping out you first 3 Ultralisks, giving him the time to readjust.

The idea is good, but the balance of the game as decided otherwise in SC1.

And seriously, who does not love to see 12 Ultralisk popping out at the same time in your screen from Drone size eggs XD

13. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Well, before either side of this argument starts duking out the pain I would like to note something of which you guys might have overlooked. If an egg is larger than others then, it will likely also have more hit points. The larger amount of hit points will also be buffered by what could be more armor as that just fits the Zerg. So, if we have larger eggs for certain units we get more armor and hit points... making the units almost invincible to stop from production. Terran and Protoss units can be stopped from production by either the Terran being forced to lift a building or the Protoss losing power. The Zerg however will lose units if production is stopped and can have their units killed in the process.

Now, an example of why I do not want to have larger eggs for larger units or tiers is this,

Example 1
    Player 1 is Terran. Player 2 is Zerg. Player 1 Attacks with Marines and Reapers. Player 2 begins building Zerglings and Ultralisk. Player 1 knows he can handle the Zerglings and thus begins killing the larger eggs. As the eggs die there is nothing a Zerg player can do. Thus, the other races will have the advantage of picking and choosing. Anyways, as the battle rages the Zerg lose because his Zerglings can not stand up alone to the Marines.

Example 2
    Same players as before, except, now the Zerg eggs are all the same size. Same scenario as before as well, only now the Zerg player creates a mixture of units and overpowers the Terran player, thus, saving his base for now.

Example 2 is a much smarter way to form this as the enemy player will not know which units are going to be the strongest. This presents the Zerg with a much better position as there units can be destroyed while being built. Sure, the enemy will kill 1 Ultralisk and 2 Zerglings, but my 4 other Ultralisk and 2 other Zerglings will hatch and take vengeance. / End of Rant.

14. Nickalisk

Nickalisk New Member

technically though the eggs are suppose to be in the haterchy. Besides you can't see whats being made in a gateway :p

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    it would be cool if you could see what units are being hatched.

it would make the zerg unique people often forgett that RTS games are supposed to have unique races. esppecially when theres only 3 of them.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes but the uniquness should not create an imbalance.

If you know what counter you need to build before a unit is done that would tip the game against th zerg

17. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    but you couldn't see every unit they make all the time especially with you only being able to tell right at the end.

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They'd still be able to see what unit they were making eventually. It's not balanced at all.

19. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    so the terran scan one base(i'm guessing the main base) if they're lucky they catch it at the last minute and they could be making way different units at their expansion, they could be making drones at that one so e=when they think you're going eco BAMM!!!

20. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    First of all, your post is near unintelligible. And it'll look just as dumb to have an egg growing in the last 10 seconds before it's hatched as it is to have them pop out normally. In fact, it'll look worse to have it grow in size for the last few seconds than popping out normally.