1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JBL's Map Making Help Service

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by JBL, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

JBL's Map Making Help Service

Discussion in 'Maps and Replays' started by JBL, Jun 14, 2007.

1. JBL

JBL New Member

impossible un uncloak a dark templar..

however you might try to "disable doodad state" it with a location over it and a trigger. but I'm pretty sure this will make the game crash.. I never really tried it.

just make sure the human players have detector OR have shared vision with the neutral player who owns the DT

2. JBL

JBL New Member

Thanks for moving my thread here, where it belongs.

3. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

Hey! I have been trying to make a money map :eek: (*gasp*) for some time now, but I can not figure out how to place the starting points right next to the minerals. How do you do this? I am not very skillful with the StarEdit program. I have spent a lot of time with the WarCraft III World Editor though. Thank you :good:

4. JBL

JBL New Member

This is very simple, you need a new starcraft map editor.

Pretty much every map editor that is not the one included with starcraft itself will work

here's a list to some nice 3rd party editors:

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=1256.0

Of course, thanks to Imagine. for publishing this list on our forums.

5. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

Great! I will try it out now. Thanks. :powerup:

6. JBL

JBL New Member

Thanks..

oh and.. I don't know if I stated this before but I would go as far as reinstalling my map making tools and editing the map myself to fix the bugs/glitch/etc if necessary.

7. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

EDIT: Problem solved, no need to read this.

I need to know something kinda stupid. It's about the visibilty of the map. How in the heck do I make the map to where all players can see the entire map, including enemy units, unexplored area, etc.? I've removed the fog of war on all players, and I am totally stumped as to how I can do this. Help please. :powerup: and 50 minerals will be sent to the person who helps me first.

8. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    ok so i need a location to center on P1's zergling. the condition is: Command(Current Player,AtLeast,1, Zergling); the player is P1, the actions are MoveLocation(P1,Zergling,P1,Anywhere);Comment("MoveLocationZergling");PreserveTrigger(); the location that is being moved is called P1. what am i doing wrong?

9. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

Are you using the regular campaign editor provided with the StarCraft game, or are you using a third-party map? If the regular, read this:

1) Change the condition to EXACTLY 1 zergling, or else you will be getting many zerglings being commanded to move to the specified location, and instead of using "CURRENT PLAYER" , use PLAYER 1.

2) Create the location you want a center view over by using the "Location" tool found under "Layer".

3) Make sure the action you choose is "CENTER VIEW", and select the location from the list it will provide you.

10. JBL

JBL New Member

nothing, this is perfect and it should works..

just to make sure, your trigger is this:

oh btw, gj using starforge, it's simply the best map editing tool (imo)..

Code:
    player: player 1
    condition: player 1 has at least 1 zergling
    action: move the location over the zergling.

with what you told me so far, you did nothing wrong.. but whats happening in your map? maybe some other triggers interfer with this one and makes it doing some weird crap...

check that out. and/or tell me more info about your map.

11. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

I think I have solved the problem, unless for some reason he is using some strange triggers which might interfere with what I said to do. I don't know, we'll have to see what he says.

12. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Players: P1
    Conditions: Bring(P7, AtLeast, 1, Scourge, P1);
    Actions:
    KillUnitAt(All, Scourge, P1, P7);
    KillUnit(Men, P1);
    MoveLocation(P1, Zergling, P7, Ling);
    KillUnitAt(1, Missile Turret, Anywhere, P1);
    DisplayText("Ouch!", 0);
    Comment("P1LoseLife");
    PreserveTrigger();

anything wrong with that? cos its either this trigger or the location center trigger.

13. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

Are all of those triggers working except for the ones you specified in the earlier post? If not, either they are too slow, and that problem can be fixed using hyper triggers, or you have different triggers which may be interfering with other players' triggers.

14. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    i have hypers alrdy, these 2 triggers are the only ones not working. no other trigger interacts with them. i do have a trigger with a wait in it, but its not in hypertrigger comp's trigger list. i heard that waits anywhere can screw up a map though.

15. JBL

JBL New Member

EatMeReturns: I need more informations about what you are trying to do..

Players: P1
    Conditions: Bring(P7, AtLeast, 1, Scourge, P1);
    Actions:
    KillUnitAt(All, Scourge, P1, P7);
    KillUnit(Men, P1);
    MoveLocation(P1, Zergling, P7, Ling);
    KillUnitAt(1, Missile Turret, Anywhere, P1);
    DisplayText("Ouch!", 0);
    Comment("P1LoseLife");
    PreserveTrigger();

so far I understand that when p7 sends a scourge to the P1 location, which is centered over your zergling, it kills all your units at P1, (thats probably only the zergling, btw I would change that "killunit(men, p1);" to kill exactly 1 ling for current player at anywhere (I suppose the player 1 has only 1 zergling at the time right???)

now that move location action.. i'm not sure I understand (you gotta understand that I didn't open starforge for like 2 years)

so you move the location P1 over the zergling owned by player 7 at location "ling"? is that right? ok so what is that location "ling" for? is it some kind of stash for the zerglings?

Why do you kill a missile turret?

beside that everything looks perfect, also, if you could tell me what the map is about and what is not working in it, I could tell you what triggers you need.

and to danhillman693: I don't understand your last few posts.. were you trying to help EatMeReturns?

I don't think he wants to centerview, and based on how he describes his triggers to me, he uses Starforge.

16. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

Oh, I thought he meant he wanted the camera view over a certain location.

17. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    i kill a missile turret becaues missile turrets are the lives. i move it over the white ling so that more scourge do not move in to the P1 location and cause more lives to be lost. P1 has only 1 ling at the time. for some reason none of these actions are performed when a scourge is over the zergling. i will try your previous suggestions for the first trigger.

18. EatMeReturns

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I placed a large location around the general area of the zergling-about the view size in gameplay-and called it arena. i then had the location P1 center on Zergling owned by P1 at Arena. I had a test scourge move toward the location P1, and it moved to the center of the location Arena, then died and the second trigger worked. something is whack with my location centering on the zergling trigger... for some reason, it centered on Arena rather than the zergling.

19. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

JBL - a question about the 'Value This Area Higher' AI script. If you have a computer running a Difficult AI script, and give it a Value This Area Higher at your base, will it go nuts to try and kill you? My problem is further detailed in my thread "Raynor's Revenge," but essentially my map is too hard to beat, and I was wondering if this could contribute to the problem.

20. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

I am going to interject and tell you this ninerman13: The way the "Value This Area Higher" AI Script works is that it will set a region as “top priorityâ€. After this location has been labeled, the computer will constantly send forces to this region to defend it.

How big is the location where the AI script is supposed to run? What is the difficult AI script you are using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.