Ion cannon should be operational.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zeratul88, Jul 16, 2008.

Ion cannon should be operational.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Zeratul88, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

I'd like to see an assortment of unique 'boss' type units such as the ION cannon purely for single player campaign. This will provide unique scenarios to make the campaign interesting and to force the player to come up with extreme strategies that are otherwise rare in single player. This should be in the spirit of the Super-Ultralisk level.

The Ion Cannon can have a wide-beam laser that moves slowly incinerating any unit that gets in its line of fire. Attacking it will be tricky. Try not to get in its way.

I would really like to see some 'just for campaign' type super zerg monster units like the super-ultralisk and super sunken colonies so that the campaign truly challenges us. I hope we see some of Kerrigan's experiments gone wrong, and some of Duran's hybrids.

I also hope that the UED come up with some super weapon like the Ion Cannon, and the Protoss have some sort of flagship thats not playable but is like a mothership on steroids.

2. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    What I truly meant was that this idea sounds like a bad ripoff from C&C. Super weapons rarely make a game fun nor is it in style with SC.

It's not like you can just walk up to it in the original either. It's protected by units. As any planet bombardment stylized weapon would be. How is fighting a big OP doodad more hardcore or interesting than having to take out a proper force that is protecting it?

Why would anyone use a weapon like that on units anyways? Are you gonna use all that power to kill what, 12 mutalisks? 50 Zerglings? How do you hit the lings without taking out the space platform the cannon is sitting on? If you're in a tank and a guy is running at you with a bomb you stop him with a machine gun not the main gun. You're not going to want to waste a shell on one person that you're probably not even going to hit.

This idea is rotten gameplay and lore.

3. LordofAngels

LordofAngels New Member

Nice idea bout Ion Cannon.... I always wanted to see that heap of metal in action....

But I don't think there should be super weapon for each race either..... although..... Terrans already have their nukes, which acts like super weapon.....

I also noticed the whole Planatery Fortress... but isn't that reserved to ground only? So why don't we make Ion cannon building that attacks air only within certain radius? It would be nice support for island maps and will provide Terrans with some kind of late-tier defense that they can rely on.... unless something called Thor.

Or you can make it so that it is building with energy, and when it "fires" it wipes out certain area of air units. That won't make it "super weapon" so to speak, but I think it fits well with the whole Terran idea of "defense over offense". It will also make interesting strategy to try to destroy Ion cannons before, and after it is built..... ok, that does sound like superweapon. But I would like to see Ion Cannon in some ways...

P.S. ..... isn't US super weapon in C&C Generals Particle Cannon?

4. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Yes, it is the Particle Cannon. It uses the atomsphere as a mirror. But the idea of superweapons are cheep. The terran alrighty have their nuke. You don't need one more superweapon. If they bring back the Ion Cannon. It should be a anti-air base defence. A upgraded verison of the missile turret. That fires a beam just like the protoss warp ray. But takes a few seconds to charge. Not doing too much damage.

5. LordofAngels

LordofAngels New Member

well, I was only saying that Ion Cannons should be able to kill air units because their air is..... well, beyond bad...... so if they had Ion Cannon serving as a buffer whenever there is areal mission, that would even the odds for Terrans, don't you think so?

And I kind of agree with the whole anti-air thing.... but I think Terrans already have enough defense powers.... having Ion Cannons as a defense structure might be overpowering and will require serious balancing...

6. DarkSonicDX

DarkSonicDX New Member

haha,Terrans super-weapon.Ths Ion cannon which shoots death beams to 1 spot and takes like 20+ mins to recharge bf using again.

(Yeah right like that even work)

7. sc.rew

sc.rew New Member

A cannon shooting "death beams" would be more similar to the small moon that isn't a moon but a battle station than to a star des... battle cruiser disabling ion cannon.

8. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    That's no moon...

9. LordofAngels

LordofAngels New Member

Lol? Well, Death Star isn't technically a moon.... it works like a moon in a way that they warp around the planets and stars. However, it can't be considered a moon.... and i don't think Death Stars can warp around Stars either....... it was just a hunk of metal that destroyed defenseless planets anyways... Like I always say.... if a mythical Ultimate weapon cannot defeat Superman in one-on-one combat, it is no mythical Ultimate weapon...

Anyhow, I just thought it would be interesting to incorporate some offensive capabilities. Ion Cannon could possible have to purchase each shot, so it can be more useful. And.... come on..... there is no possible way that Terrans can win air anyways... just destroy what you can't own..... that's what I always do....

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    im sure the death star can beat superman in 1on1 combat...

11. sc.rew

sc.rew New Member

no, superman would win against a death star, since the empire would have forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactor, or some other mistake, and the whole thing would be blown up from the outside ...

However, if there are some super weapons in the campaign they could be used in similar way as the ultralisks in that bw mission, attacking only every x minutes. or not killing anything at all but dealing x % of damage to multiple units in a single area.

12. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    well, if superman knew enough about the death star to find that small weakness with all the weapons focused on him then i'm sure the empire would know enough about superman to obtain kryptonite.

The ion cannon in the campaign could disable ships temporirily instead of killing them.

13. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    then it would be a disruptor, not an ion-based cannon that should pwn every one/thing

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    an ion weapon would disrupt, and it would be frustrating if it pwned all your players units

15. capthavic

capthavic New Member

A)Perhaps they didn't have fission-able material on their planet.

B)They probably would ban its use even if they did.

C)Who needs nukes when your body is a psychic weapon?

16. sc.rew

sc.rew New Member

D) Why would they need nukes if they can simply purify entire planets?

17. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

"Raynor, they have rebuilt the Ion Cannon! It's aimed straight at *insert personal/love object here*!!"

"Oh no, WE MUST DESTROY IT.....AGAIN!"

Yeah, cheasy dialog ahoy!

18. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

The terran alrighty have a good defence. If you add the Ion Cannon, the defence, and units will have to be superly rebalanced. The terran don't need another superweaon. There alrighty have a nuke, and the ghost is a superweapon of himself.

19. Gforce

Gforce New Member

yeah, we already have enough super weapons. Dont need anymore.

20. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    see the only problem is that well that you already have the nuke now an ion cannon lets make it fare