1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insectoid zerg compared to reptilian design.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by WuHT, Jun 16, 2007.

Insectoid zerg compared to reptilian design.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by WuHT, Jun 16, 2007.

1. paragon

paragon Guest

I kinda liked the pointy raptor-esque snout of the old zergling to this pitbull snout. But it's all good.

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Zerglings didn't look anything like their portrait though.

Zerg in general made you wonder where the hell their unit portraits came from back in SC1, I always had it off, but still.

I mean, zealot or marine, it didn't rouse any suspicions. But whenever you saw portraits of zergling, overlord, queen, or ultralisk, it really made you think wtf. It did for me at least.

3. paragon

paragon Guest

I thought their portraits made sense.

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I don't think it was the fault of the zergling's unit portrait, but the fact that the zerling sprite was so damn small it couln't be detailed enough to close the gap. I just couldn't make the connection.

Zerglings looked like micro-frog-puppies with webbed feet on their hind legs. In that sense, graphically, Zerg gets the biggest upgrade in SC2.

5. Ych

Ych New Member

I know of a fact that the Chinese people refer the Zerglings as dogs/puppies.
    I hated how they call them that because it doesn't make the Zerglings sound very scary at all. With their new insect look, I'm sure the Chinese people wouldn't be calling them dogs/puppies anymore.

And yes, I prefer the insectoid look for the Zerglings simply because it suits the Zerg theme much better. Swarms of Insects made much more sense than swarms of reptilians.

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Korean people refer to zerglings as "dog pack."

7. paragon

paragon Guest

they kind of remind me of praying mantis's and those are awesome.

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Koreans?  Praying mantis?  Hmm... where'd you get that idea?

You talking about lings or hydras?

9. paragon

paragon Guest

zerglings. because they use their front claws as their weapons. That's pretty much the only similarity but its more of a similarity than any other zerg unit

10. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

I like like the old reptilian look/feel going on the with the Zerg but being insect in nature makes so much more sense. I would say that while the Zerg did originate from insects I think they took on more ambiguous organic traits that make them so fearful.

I can't quite think of the Zerg as fully insectoid because insects feel so pointy and individualistic. But a more primordial and faceless organic nature makes them the swarm and writhing mass that they are. Actually, a lot of Zerg traits make me think of microorganisms. The way they interact with each other, consume everything around them, multiply ferociously, exist formlessly in a soft and ever changing physical being, a and act as one unit bound together in the same body.

Zerg + squishy = win.

11. paragon

paragon Guest

uh insects individualistic? ant colonies, bee hives, tent caterpillars, locust swarms, termite mounds. There is nothing individual about them.
    oh and defilers are termites
    termite mound = defiler mound.

12. slugonice

slugonice New Member

ZERG are based on the aliens from ENDER's GAME