Infested Samir Duran

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Protosscommander, Aug 20, 2007.

?

Would you like to see Samir Duran as an Infested in Starcraft 2?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No! not an Infested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Infested Samir Duran

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Protosscommander, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Yap, thanks for the answer SirBaron, at least i had an Idea now. :) :powerup: THANKS

2. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

That doesn't actually follow, timedragon888. It's not a contest of who's pure or not pure in my opinion, but that the zerg as a species have a purity of essence. It is possible that the Xel'Naga could fool the Zerg, but the reason that they created the Zerg was to have that Purity of Essence. If they can fool it, then it's not perfect purity and then it's not what they were after in the first place!

The Xel'Naga as a species may have it's own purity of essence, but the Zerg have a purity of essence that is whole and entire onto their own species. That is my point.

3. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    To elaborate more on what string was saying. The Zerg would not be able to have a Xel'Naga magically appear into their midst. The Zerg work from a unified and singular mind all at the same time. The Overmind and Kerrigan both "control" the Zerg by sending commands to Cerebrates who then relay the commands to Queen's and Overlords. They control the Broods. If you were to add a new creature to the Zerg Brood then it would most likely be eliminated due to the fact the Zerg maintain a Purity of Essence in the fact that they are unified species. This was the problem with the Protoss, they were not unified and thus the Aeon of Strife. However, there are rogue Cerebrates who control their own Broods, so, the Zerg in all fact of the matter evolved at such a rate that the Purity of Essence still exist, but, at a much smaller degree to what it was when there was the previous Overmind. (Kerrigan has control over the Broods, but, on the level of control is similar to that of a powerful cerebrate to the likes of Daggoth.) So, Duran would not be able to just enter the swarm. Just not possible with the Zerg. Hope this clears it up even more.

4. string_me_along

/\
    Thank you for the post in support :). I also agree that with the death of the overmind, the swarms are not at the same purity for the entire species. But I suspect that within the actual broods that they are still as unified as before. They just are not unified with the other broods.

And yeah, it's just not really possible for infiltration into the zerg swarms.

5. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i know how duran concealed himself, he affected the minds of everybody near him, and he only staid near kerrigan, this way he had to affect 10 brains at most, he did not conceal himself in a brood

war
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

6. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    For those still inetrested on how to get to the secret mission you have to beat the second to llast zerg level in the expansion in with atleast 5 minutes left (they normally give you 30 minutes). I just used cheats because all i wanted was to see the story aspect of the mission.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Better yet he just planted false memories of his infestation into Kerrigan's mind

8. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

The idea of Duran manipulating/Tricking the Overmind doesn't make since. The Overmind was dead, from SC1, and the new one was forming, thus IKerrigan was able to have free will, thus Duran would/could too. Since Duran said he was a servant, it's possible that he was infested, then recruited by Xel'Naga at one point; probably while human, and then allowed to be infested. Duran did have troops, so he is probably a hierarchical cerebrate level, like IKerrigan.

The Xel'Naga manipulating the Overmind is interesting though... I don't think the Xel'Naga were perfect,
    1.they constantly tried to make the perfect species with Pure Essence and Pure Form, as per the manual.
    2. They revealed themselves to the Protoss too early (sounds like pride to me, or obvious overconfidence) and that caused the protoss to react in strange ways, division, then attacking the Xel'Naga, making them leave their failure.
    3. @ Blizzcon they said that 'not all of the Xel'Naga were dead' /killed off by the zerg (forgot exact wording).
    4. The overmind was created by the Xel'Naga as a safeguard to preserve their already existing purity of form. It said the Overmind cut its psionic links to them, and then attacked.
    5. When the overmind absorbed the info from the Xel'Naga, it learned the str/weakness of the past species they manipulated. (meaning they've been trying for a while).

I think that if you want to assume they are manipulating the overmind, which could be possible, they would need to be manipulating the protoss too; either that or they learned from their mistakes with the protoss.

9. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Actually the idea of the Xel'Naga manipulating the Overmind and the Protoss does make sense. Now on the basis that since the Overmind in SC1 is dead and the second still forming meaning that Duran is free as Kerrigan is not so. Duran and Kerrigan shared a psionic link of some sort that disappeared when Duran left Kerrigan and the Zerg Broods.( To an extent) So, Kerrigan yes was similar to a Cerebrate,but, Duran himself unlike Kerrigan did not even have a lesser Brood to his own command. Duran was himself in the plot of things and assistant/advisor to Kerrigan. Nothing more nothing less.

The Overmind was the collective knowledge of the Xel'Naga thus far so as to control the Zerg Swarm as it had become far too dangerous for the Xel'Naga to remain on the Surface of Zerus with them. The Overmind then assimiliated Behemoth's, which, are massive creatures said to be able to contain many many overlords. They attacked the Xel'Naga and began to absorb the knowledge it already possessed and a some it did not.

The Xel'Naga did give the existence of the Protoss to the Zerg as why would they create a race for the purpose of assimilating the form of another and not tell them what one to assimilate. Thats like saying there is a needle in that haystack we want you to get. Oh, it's a special one, but, it looks like all the others. The fact that the it learned of the others means nothing.

Overmind gathered knowledge of the Protoss from Xel'Naga on the Worldships.

Now for controlling the Overmind Duran did not trick the new Overmind. Duran from a theory SirBaron and I have manipulated the actions of the first one to steer it towards the goal of assimilating the Protoss and creating the perfect race. When the Overmind was not able to survive Duran allowed for the Overmind to be killed as it was not competent to create the perfect race. When Duran orchestrated the creation of the second Overmind with Daggoth he most likely was hoping for an Overmind with the potential to assimilate the Protoss of Aiur/Shakuras. Unfortunately the second Overmind was slain by the alliance of Kerrigan, the Dark Templar and Terrans. It is at this time Duran disappears. So from all this we can presume Duran had manipulated the Overmind into completing its purpose and when it failed began a second Overmind to fulfill what the previous could not.

There we go that felt good.

10. string_me_along

Why didn't the Xel'Naga just fuse the Zerg and Protoss together without all of this hub-bub? They could have just taken the genes that they wanted (and which Duran did anyway) without having to manipulate the zerg into infesting the protoss.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    No you have to remember the programing the Xel Naga gave to the overmind and the zerg was like that of the Borg. Assimilate what you can to improve yourself into the perfect being. The Xel Naga just didn't realize that put them in the firing line. The overmind read from the minds of the Xel Naga about the Protoss and wanted to merge purity of form with purity of essence to fulfill the quest for perfection as was his programing

The Xel Naga saw the Protoss as a failure. Why would they want to have such a colossal failure absorbed into their new pet project.

12. string_me_along

freaking exactly, BirdofPrey!

I mean with the hybrids it seems that at some point they decided that putting the two species together made sense. But they didn't use the infestation power of the zerg to do it. They did not want to destroy the purity of essence.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The merging of the Zerg and Protoss waan't the Xel,Naga's idea. It was the Overmind's idea after he killed the Xel"Naga fleet

Or so we think. Who knows maybe the whole getting killed by the Zerg was an elaborate ploy by them as part of their grand experiment and Duran is an observer sent by them. He might even have been one of the Xel' Naga in the fleet that was destroyed.

14. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Going back to it now I made a great error in my little paragraph up there about the Overmind and the Protoss.
    So I'll take the first step and say I was wrong there as I forgot to double check my research. Looking on it now I see that the Overmind gathered the knowledge of the existence of the Protoss from the Xel'Naga in their Worldships. Sorry for the confusion folks. Yeesh I need to review the Duran thread I started. Anyways sorry about that.

*** Sorry about all the mis-facts guys I'm a bit off today, but, yes string that is correct. I think I'm going to take a bit more time with my post today.

15. string_me_along

Actually, the Overmind knew of the protoss from the Xel'Naga. It didn't know the exact location of Auir until Zeratul and the Overmind connected mentally when Zeratul killed Zasz, a cerebrate. For a bit of the Zerg campaign, the Overmind is trying to figure out where Auir is.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I wonder if Zeratul knows it is his fault the Zerg found Auir.

17. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    He had a glimpse at what the Overmind knows and the Overmind found the location of Aiur when he killed the Cerebrate. So ya he knows.

18. string_me_along

And he had to kill Razagal, man, that DT probably feels a lot of personal guilt about and responsibility over what happened to the protoss in SC

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yea but how could he have forseen the events? The Cerebrate needed to be killed. He had no idea that he would be linking with the Overmind.

By the way, my view on the Protoss assimilation thing is that it can't occur through the usual assimilation channels or both species will lose part of their purity. The Protoss have purity of Unity, and the Zerg purity of essence.

Only through the hybrid project can it be completed. That is what the Xel'Naga left behind.

Also, that is how they're created in the last SC book. They're DNA is infused in the Xel'Naga temple left behind and the hybrid is born. It actually "flies" into space at the end of the book.

20. string_me_along

the protoss actually had purity of form. I've never read the books so I can't comment on that, but the overmind, after finding out about the protoss from infesting some of the xel'naga was determined to infest the protoss to add to the power of the zerg swarm.