1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infestation update. Broodlings?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ItzaHexGor, May 14, 2008.

Infestation update. Broodlings?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ItzaHexGor, May 14, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Protoss structures are all unmanned. Besides, if they were manned, and Infested Protoss were released as you Infest their structures, what about the things like their Pylons? There are obviously no Protoss civilians sitting inside these, but they've still got to act the same as other Infested buildings.

Also if they were there, they would have an emergency evacuation beacon like Zealots, etc. The fact that you said "because threats shouldn't be present in the building in the first place" startles be. You're in a building in a Protoss base being swarmed by the Zerg and/or besieged by the Terran and you expect there to be no threats present in that building? For someone to win a game, about at least 50% of buildings need to be razed, and that's just in one versus one.

If even the most basic Protoss have developed psychic powers, not as developed as the Templar but still developed, they will not need to physically stab themselves of anything to avoid Infestation. Not only are they faster and stronger that humans, so would have quicker reactions in such situations, but they'd also be able to just instantly shut down their mind or something equally as honourable. Basically, Protoss are going to go to all lengths to prevent themselves from turning into a snivelling, rotting Infestation, that'll go rampaging through and massacring their own kin, and they have some pretty extreme lengths to resort to.

Lastly, you're getting Infestation and assimilation mixed up. They seek to assimilate the Protoss to create the perfect being, not Infest them. An Infested Zz'Gashi Dune Runner would be completely different to an assimilated one, being the Zergling, and the same goes for all other Infestations and assimilations.

In short, the Protoss do not need to man their buildings. If they did man them, they'd be manned by Probes or other robotic workers, and not by civilians, and if they were manned by civilians for some strange reason, they would have emergency evacuation packs, because buildings are never safe. Protoss would do anything to prevent being Infested, and their capabilities are much, much greater than that of the Terran, so they would always find a way, if they were there, which they aren't. Lastly, Infested Protoss will not create the perfect being and neither will genetic engineering. It's the assimilation of the Protoss that will lead to the creation of the 'perfect' being, so once they've captured and restrained all these Protoss civilians, even possibly after they'd been Infested, they could assimilate them and succeed in their goals.

2. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Where did this thing about zealots and emergency beacons to bring them back home on their suits come about? I've never heard about this....

Also, I was reading Itza's post and was thinking about the purge or restore ability before I got to that part of the post. I was thinking, however, that if they allowed the purge ability, they could justify allowing the creation of infested units. In other words, the Zerg would be able to create infested terrans again, but the Terrans (or Protoss or whatever) could have the ability to take the building back, sort of like a counter to the powerful infested buildings.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It was in an early Q&A, it's part of the Protoss lore and one of the ways they got Dragoons, etc. If Zealots, etc, just died on the battlefield, they wouldn't have any crippled bodies to place in Dragoons.

I don't understand what's you're saying about justifying Infested units. It still wouldn't justify Infested Protoss and Infested Terran do not need any justification.

4. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

Ok so what I meant was this:
    In Starcraft 2 you can infest any building, not just the Command Center, right? (correct me on this if I am wrong because I have been out of the loop for a while)
    I assume that the reason that Blizzard decided that infestation should give you a set number of broodlings instead of infested Terran was that the ability to create infested Terran from ANY building would be imbalanced.
    However, if they established a system for Terran to be able to reclaim the infested building somehow, I think it would maybe balance the whole thing out.

In other words:
    If Zerg can infest any building and Terran can't restore the buildings, then Zerg should have a set number of broodlings spawn from infestation.
    If Zerg can infest any building and Terran can restore buildings, then it wouldn't be so imbalanced if Zerg could produce infested Terran once they infest a building.

I wasn't talking about infested Protoss in my previous post though. That's just plain loony talk. :)

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I don't believe it's been confirmed anywhere exactly which buildings could be infested. I'm pretty sure Supply Depots and Barracks could be infested (100% sure about the latter). Some people said you can't infest Town Centers. (We'll have to wait until late June to find out.)

I disagree. The buildings didn't produce Infested Terrans, they produced Infested Marines, which had only 30 hit points, had limited duration, and didn't explode. The only real (non-numerical) difference between an Infested Marine and a Broodling was the former had a ranged attack.

(I'm of the opinion that Infested Protoss buildings could produce Broodlings and Infested Terran Buildings can create Marines.)

Furthermore, a limited number of Infested Marines were built. A building would be infested for ~20 seconds in the March build, and a new Infested Marine would be produced every x time units, which means you always got the same number of Infested Marines. Maybe the number was 8. Blizzard could just as easily have 8 Infested Marines immediately produced (instead of stringing them out over time); this is a balance issue, but has little to do with the type of attack the unit has.

Short view:

Infester infests a building.
    Terran player loses control of building for a set period of time.
    Over that time, it produces Infested Marines until the time runs out (always the same number) or it pumps out Broodlings (either immediately, or over time, either way always the same number of Broodlings, which just happens to be 8). You never needed to buy Infested Marines.

Perhaps I have read your post wrong. Are you saying the latter statement is how it used to be?

6. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Oh, wow! So Swarm Guardian is now just Guardian like in Starcraft. I don't like the idea of broodlings being spawned out of Guardians or buildings, it just doesn't make sense. Guardians spawning them would be rigged and buildings spawning them doesn't make sense. Why would an infested Terran building create something fully zerg instead of an infested terran?

7. Simbob

Simbob New Member

Australia
    So what i'm thinking is that broodlings are like an infestor's children. The infestor needs a womb-type thing and uses buildings for this purpose. Then the broodlings pop out and go mental! :D

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well say bye bye to the aspect of Zerg actually infesting anything.
    Again, it should never be a set numbr, thats called limited, Zerg should keep the building for good, change the infestation to a physcial merge, produce ranged or melee infests I don't really care. The only thing I care about is actually keeping the building and being able to produce how many you want relative to your minerals of course.

9. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

@ Kimera
    No, that part was like a map out of how I thought they might be able to keep it balanced. But nevermind. It wasn't a post that was designed to promote this degree of scrutinization or conversation.

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

@ Kimera
    Im now confused with the mechanic,. from what ive understand, when the infestor infests structures of either terran and protoss, it only can produce broodlings and no infested units of either sort... do you mean that when an infestor infests a terran barracks for example, it will either produce infested marines or 8 broodlings??? enlighten pls...

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    disappointing.

infested terran were my favourite sc unit "FOR THE OVERMIND!!!!" and i was hoping that assimilation of the protoss would play a major point in the story.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    From what we've heard, the assimilation of the Protoss is a major point in the storyline, as it's the end of the storyline. An assimilation of Protoss into the Swarm is supposed to be the perfect unit, the perfect weapon, combining the purity of essence with the purity of form to create a unit with the combined strengths of both the Xel'Naga's creations.

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I'm just getting goosebumps thinking of the campaign and how the Terran and Protoss are gonna totally pwn the Zerg.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol I found that quite amusing, considering the fact Zerg > Terran

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It was predicted at the end of the BroodWar campaigns that Zerg were going to get snapped. Kerrigan predicted it herself.

16. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    infested protoss? thats just........ un-natural
    i mean... you know

and as for the infetsed terran, i didnt realize how powerful they were until i started making my map
    i mean, 500 damage? whats not to like?

17. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

yup.. and it just makes things worst,.,. imaginary wise lol

19. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    OMG! he made karune happen

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They don't shoot acid now. They shoot eggs which hatch upon impact, it makes sense.