1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving the Ultralisk's attack

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 11, 2007.

Improving the Ultralisk's attack

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 11, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i am sure if snipe can target air units or not, can some one clear this up?

2. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, being good vs. organic units, I always thought of it as an anti-overlord skill, as other zergs don't have that much hit-points. Of course Ultras too, if they don't get scrapped. But hunting Overlords would make a lot of sense to a cloakable unit like the Ghost. If they can't snipe air, at least they should. Why else make Snipe damage so high?

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

having snipe target air make it imba against the zergs, as only they have organic air units, guardians, and overlords(acting as dropship) are too expensive. to be killed so easily by snipe is OP

4. Overling

Overling New Member

Ok, let's screen the Zerg air:

-Mutas and Scourges: both come in high numbers, so Snipe can't work so well with them, unless the enemy has a lot of Ghosts (and being vulnerable to whatever the Ghost counter is);

-Guardians: should use terrain to shoot from afar. Their long range is what makes them so valuable, and if Ghosts can be taken down by Spawn Broodling when targeting a Nuke, so should Guardian when targeting a base, imho;

-Overlords: Overlords can also come in high amounts, as they take no 'food supply' to be built. And creating a hazard for them makes Nydus worms more necessary, who can dump a lot of units in an instant, and probably have more hit-points;

-Queens: they can kill Ghosts in an instant with S.B., so they have no right to be left out of sniper's aim! The way I see it, Archon's feed-back will do just that to them: instant kill. Not to mention the delay of the skill, in comparison to S.B..

Ok, these are some ideas I could think of to support snipe hitting air. But it might be, as you said, overpowered if one makes too many Ghosts vs. Zerg. Perhaps making some units untargetable by snipe, but not others?

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Snipe should be able to target air, but should not do any extra damage against flying mechanical units. However it would be much harder to snipe Zerg air units accurately, especially Zerg because they're flapping/floating/flying/moving/hovering up and down while they're in the air. I believe that Snipe should only do 50% damage or so against air-type units(except Scourges if they're still in the game) and against large-type units. I just find it hard to picture a Ghost taking out any Zerg flyer, like an Overlord or a Guardian, in one shot. I find it even harder to picture it taking out an Ultralisk in a single shot. Snipe is a great ability and makes the Ghost a lot more menacing, but it should not count as a one-hit-kill ability to every single unit in the game. By the way, would two Ghosts be able to kill each other simultaneously with Snipe if they shot at exactly the same time, or would one of them always shoot a slight bit earlier?

6. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Isn't snipe just looking for an extremely weak point then aiming for it, not actually doing 150 dmg (although in the game it does do 150dmg)?

7. Patlidzan

Patlidzan New Member

I think the snipe does 150 to an organic unit... the snipe is really cool against other casters like the templar or medics becuase they are suport and you won mass them like you would not mass ghost... 5-10 ghost in a 200 food army is enough, back to the topic, splash damage is a definitive must have for the ultra and, it should also be able to devour units for healing its hitpoints enemy and friendly alike just make it have a proper cooldown like half a sec for each hitpoin of the unit or somtin.

8. headstock

headstock New Member

the ramming idea ive liked, but i wanna see it specially used against buildings

id love to see an ultralisk have the ability to ram a building and do devestating damage with each hit

would be a nice special ability i reckon

9. WuHT

WuHT New Member

I liked Ultralisk as a pure combinatoin of mobility/tankage.

It is fast..and gets into battle fast (like zealots) and soaks up damage for the best combinatoin for it's hefty price. I wouldn't mind if ultralisk were actually more specialized (as in harder to kill) then be rounded out and given a decent attack as well. All purpose units take away from strats and encourage massing of 1-unit (well dragoons were cool)

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm with WuHT. The Ultralisk should not become and ultimate unit that's able to just smash through anything on the ground, but more designed for one purpose. It had already been specialized in StarCraft1 because the Ultra was weak against massed ground units, such as Zerglings, Marines and Zealots, but was good against large units, like the Siege Tank, Dragoon, Lurkers, as well as any kind of building. If they make it even more effective against large units/buildings and worse against small units then it would force the player to play tactically instead of just using brute force.

11. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Ultralisk could replace zerglings on the battlefield if they were given a higher attack. The only reason for giving it a higher attack is because the ultralisk was meant to be intimidating and cause tactical dilemma to the opponent to kill it or the lower support unit. Supported by banelings to deal intial damage, they would come in once the banelings struck and finish off the survivors. And banelings would or might splash on to zerglings and kill them. (If banelings had splash, I'm not sure)

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i like the idea of giving ultras extra damage to buildings, it'll make them more specialized kinda like a siege unit. it also allow players to tactically drop ultras with the goal of taking out specific key buildings in the enemy base.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Does anyone know if Ultralisks will be able to travel through Nydus Wyrms? I assume that they can. This would make an awesome tactic... Just send in a whole lot of Zerglings or Mutalisks, don't attack with them just run/fly them through to the Command Centre, Nexus or Hive/Lair/Hatchery, then spawn up a couple or more Nydus Wyrms and start feeding the Ultralisks into their base! After that make the Zerglings/Mutalisks raid their economy and have the Ultralisks tear down their buildings! Think it would work?

14. Overling

Overling New Member

Not against Psy-storm...

@BnechbReaker: how about a flying Ultralisk? ;D They wouldn't be like Vikings, because they would still be heavily armored and melee, and would not be OP because instead of poping from a Nydus Word they would have to break through. This way they could have Siege-attack with good chaces of being used and still be balanced out somehow. Ok, since everyone abandoned this idea I won't insist on it. :(

EDIT: Ok, thx for the tip! Won't happen again! ^_^

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

@ Overling: just to let you know that the forum rules dictates that you should never quote the person above you, and you should generally edit what you quote and not quoting a whole post. :good:

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Psyonic Storm wasn't able to take down an Ultralisk was it? Even if it was/is they'd still have tonnes of time to get out of the Storm's radius. Anyway, if they had a Psyonic Storm at the ready, I reckon that they'd use it on the masses of Zerglings or Mutalisks that wee storming into their base. Then it would be too late to cast it when the Ultralisks start pouring in!