1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immortals Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheDarkTemplar, May 31, 2007.

Immortals Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheDarkTemplar, May 31, 2007.

1. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Hahah you must be kidding lol :thumbup:

2. Shellshock

Shellshock New Member

Immortals

So, i know that shield of the immortals dramatically reduce dmg from the siege tank, does reduce same procent from any other units? like thors from zerg units??... or this unit is just for the siege tanks ??

3. Supahboih

Supahboih New Member

Sweden
    can you, please, explain that part? :p

and for your question: The Immortals take reduced damage from all siege units.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    No percent, and no exception. Every single unit's attack damage against the immortal is reduced to 10 points. Hence it is most effective against siege tanks because of their low rate of fire, and is susceptible to reapers for example because of their high rate of fire.

Finally, this is a duplicate thread of the original discussion, so you should refer to that for information.

5. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

There is a condition I believe that in order for hardened shields to activate, it should receive a damage of 10hp & above. Among the list of those units with lesser than 10 points of damage includes the Reaper, Marine, Zergling, Workers and other units that should not receive a weapon upgrade to limit their damage below 10 such as the Zealot (8x2), Interceptor(8x8) & Battlecruiser (8x8).

6. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    Marine - Immortals = Kill

7. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    An other other reason why Immortals are good vs Siege tanks (and Thors etc) is that they deal 20 damage + 20 additinal bonus to armored units.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I think immortals are currently under used during the BRs and exhibition matches but I'm sure everybody knows that they can be as threatening as any other protoss units are, used wisely. They really did a good move switching the Immortal to the robotic facility.

9. alex1

alex1 New Member

I wish it could be built from the gates :(

10. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    The thing is we usually only see lower tier units in the Battle Reports with the occasional upper tier units. Personally I think Blizzard chooses games like that to show for the Battle Report on purpose. I mean we havn't really seen Immortals, Vikings, Battle Cruisers, Dark Templars, Ultralisks, Phoenix etc in action.

As for the Immortal shields they defend against many hard hitting units but their weakness is small arms fire such as reapers, etc. It makes sense for gameplay balance but not logically :D.

We also havnt really seen mid-game and probably nothing at all of late-game. I pretty sure once the game comes out and when players reach the point where they have access to almost all of the units each one will serve its uses.

11. liaInny09

liaInny09 New Member

United States
    and partially because it can stop itself from being destroyed, which is great for protecting your Immortals on the field.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    In real life, there are all kinds of specialized armor and defense. Armor that can take explosives, but not bullets. Active defense systems that can stop missiles, but not bullets. Vests that can stop a bullet, but not a knife. Oftentimes, being good at stopping one thing makes you bad at stopping other things.

13. Kinkseraph

Kinkseraph New Member

If the damage resistance is indeed based on the amount of damage taken, then it wouldn't be hard to implement anyways. I think I heard Dan Browder mention something somewhere about the immortals cut all damage in half - or maybe half the damage above a certain value. If so, then it's base hitpoints are likely low, to balance it out.

But I'm just speculating. I barely remember what he said.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    All the facts can be found here, Kinkseraph. http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal

Maybe stats there aren't a hundred percent accurate all the time, since numbers in the game get switched around so frequently, but they'll give you a decent picture of what it roughly will look like on release day.

HP: 200
    Shields: 100

And the hardened shields work like this:

If a hit on the immortal does 10 or less damage, nothing special happens. But if a hit does 11 or more damage it's forced into a 10 damage hit instead. A siege tank that regularly would deal 100 damage would deal 10. A marine that deals 6 damage deals 6.

The hardened shields thing only applies to the immortals shields, obviously. that means that when an immortal has lost its 100 shields, a siege tank can start dealing 100 damage again, but now towards the immortals HP instead of shields.