1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

1. elite-guard

elite-guard New Member

Sry for not reading 4 pages of posts for 7 threads =P. Well, sry for double explaining.

I think abilities should be able to pass, maybe. Yes, why attack it with high firepower? you dont. which is why you have to vary your armies so that you still have low level marines that can take out these guys, while zealots/stalkers get pwned by your "high level" tanks and banshees.

I think Blizzard is focusing on making starcraft damage simple. It was always simple, plus or minus. so doing percentage isn't for starcraft. They changed the starcraft armor types and now give bonuses of attack, which allow a greater freedom. Percentage would probably solve the problem but I think most older starcraft players are used to the simpleness of looking at marine: 5 attack, ok, it's gonna do five damage for every hit, oh it does only 2.5 to armor, just divide by 2 simple. With percentage, it's like, ok, so 5 damage-10%*5 because of that one ability and then minus 5% because of armor and...

Way to difficult.

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It shouldn't be that players are trying to figure out how much damage each unit does against every other unit... And Blizzard, in a way, have already made it harder to calculate damages done by each unit, for example, the Warp Ray. The Warp Ray slowly intensifies its Prismatic Beam (to a maximum of 3 'intensifications') which makes it hard to calculate the damage it's doing. It should just be assumed knowledge that these units are good against those units but bad against that unit. Also, in Starcraft1 certain units, like the Siege Tank, do a softened amount of damage against either small or large units/buildings. I forget which, anyone know? I'll study up on it and post again tomorrow. Anyway, long story short, Starcraft2 shouldn't be about calculating all the individual attack damage etc. Percentage is a great way to do armor ratings.

Also, when you said.....
    THAT IS A PERCENTAGE! DIVIDING BY 2 IS THE SAME AS 50 PERCENT!

EDIT: I found out about the Siege Tanks' attacks, they deal Explosive-Type damage, meaning, they deal 50% damage against small units, 75% against medium and 100% against large units. This is already an example of percentage damages used in StarCraft, and there is also Concussive-Type damage being, 100% against small units, 50% against medium and 25% against large, and Normal-Type damage being 100% against all units.

3. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Warprays take a long time to get to 3rd concentration of beam right? In the video somehow they never reach 3rd (mark me if i'm wrong) type when fighting battlecruisers 4 on 1. Just how strong are they?

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

we don't have enough info at the moment, why hasn't anyone who was at blizzcon revealed any details? come'on people...

5. DontHate

DontHate New Member

on the unit statistics it said warp rays did 4 damage... per second? i'm not sure.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

4 per second is quite low, plus we don't know how the how the increase in power over time works

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Isn't it, whenever a attack deals more than 10 damage, then it drains the shield = damage -10? So if it has only 10 shield left and u hit it with 30 damage attack, it will reduce 10 of it but the attack will still deal 20.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

No idea about the warp ray damage, the marine however does 6 damage every shot, and shoots once per second, and twice per second when stim packed, it did normal damage in SC1 which did 100% to all targets.

The siege tank in SC1 did explosive damage, which dealt 100% to large targets(dragoon, tank, goliath, ultralisk) 75% to medium targets(hydra,vulture) and 50% to small units(marine, zealots, zergling)

Concussive damage in SC1 was dealt by the firebat,ghost,vulture(come to think of it,i think only terran had concussive damage, most toss units do explosive or melee, normal, so does zerg...weird) which does 100% to small, 50% to medium and 25% to large.

Buildings were also considered large.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ DKutrovsky
    I had already said pretty much everything that you put in that post, except for what units are what sizes, which is pretty much common knowledge. The only part of your post that had not been said before is that:
    And this still pretty much had nothing to do with the topic. It had already been covered that Blizzard does use percentages to work out damages dealt to specific units.

10. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Ma bad if i just repeated everything, i just felt like there was some confussion about the types of damage some of the SC1 units did.

Anyways, im not sure how the damage is in SC2 yet, if its more like WC3, where you deal extra or reduced damage, or like SC1 where it was 100% or less.

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

in starcraft2 units deal bonus damage against certain types.

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I wonder how well that'll work out. For some reason I don't really like it.

13. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the picture below show how it works:

[img width=670 height=502]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/drewcbarnard/067.jpg[/img]

14. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

you guys are all wrong!
    immortals ARE the dragoons actually but in game wise bnech is right
    stalkers are more likely dragoons in games, but compared to storyline stalkers are like the complete opposite

stalkers = dark templar = outcast = banned from sociaty
    almost dead zealots = dragoon = warp gate died so no more = remaining became immortals

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i'm only talking about game play not story

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah... that's kind of what he said
    No-one was actually really talking about the storyline... Just how to use these units in the game and what role they fill.
    In proper games (not campaigns/in the story) the Stalkers are the new Dragoons (they fit the same role), and Immortals are a new unit designed for sieges and taking on powerful units (completely new role).

EDIT: Fixed up some typo's

17. Associate

Associate New Member

i heard the immortal's hardened shield reduces enemy damage only by 10, so perhaps a siege tank in its siege mode with a damage of 100 will still inflict considerable damage to the immortals. i really think the problem is with the siege tank's rate of fire, they need to make them fire their siege cannons a bit faster

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Immortals Hardened Shields reduce the damage to 10, not by 10. This is why they are so effective against units that have a powerful attack, because units that do have a powerful attack almost always attack very slowly. So if a Siege Tank hits them for with an attack that would otherwise do 100 damage, the damage done to the Immortal is reduced to 10. There is no problem with the Siege Tanks rate of fire because they are not the only units that suffer a damage reduction against Immortals. If, like you said, they did make Siege Tanks attack faster it would make them overpowered against other ground units and would also negate the handicap that they have against Immortals. I repeat: Blizzard is NOT just trying to make a game where one unit is powerful against all others, they are making it so that all units have strengths and weaknesses. The Siege Tanks strength is its ability to deal significant damage against all small ground units, and its weakness is that they are very ineffective against other units.

19. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Lol, fast siege tank fire. I can imagine it being so imba until 4 siege tanks could take out 200 marines.

20. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

yea siege tanks just need to have some marine back up or some reapers can come in and take them out