1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

Immortal = Imbalanced?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ApostleOfGod, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i believe some abilities will not be affected by the shield.i mean,it would be totally broken to let immortals survive Yamato Blasts and Nukes.

2. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

i say let them get hit full damage by melee and special abilities

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

marines/medics always go with tanks. M&M > Immortals, also, if you pop a EMP shockwave to the immortals before the battle and they come with 0 shield, the hardened shields dont activate.

Vikings/Cobras/reapers/banshees > immortals aswell

Immortals > solo sieged tanks, thats it.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Remember though the hardened shield just reduces the damage not prevents it. The yamato and nuke have enough damage to burn off the shield melt the armor and kill the squishy inside

5. elite-guard

elite-guard New Member

once again, i havta say im new, so i didn't read the previous 3 pages of post. though I'll say what I know about this topic.

Immortals shields are currently made to resist any attack over 10 damage. This means the immortal can at most take only 10 damage. So whether it be a seige tank blast or a nuke, they can only take 10 damage because of their shields. For this reason, marines are more affective because they have a higher attack rate doing less than 10 damage.

also, btw, there is no more explosive attacks anymore. It has been changed to bonuses against "light" "armored" "fleshy" "something I dont rmember".

So, the immortal IS imba right now. Blizzard even said so. It's too strong against terran as of now, so it most likely will be nerfed a bit. It's a protoss heavy tank unit, much better than the dragoon.

6. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Meh, immortals do not scare me, although 10 damage is really low, i mean a hydra did 10 damage, is it going to activate vs hydras lol ?

1 Immortal > 5-6 hydras lol

I think 20 damage (base damage, not considering upgrades). And not 750 hp, but like 450 or so.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I myself think that the hardened shield would work better if it just reduced the damage to a percentage instead of an amount.

Make the immortal take 20% of the damage so most of s siege tank shot will be stopped but it will still do more damage than a Thor and a nuke and yamato will still have sufficient force to kill the immortal inside of the shield. Also for the nuke it emits and EM Pulse which would take out the Immortals shield anyway.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think that the immortal shields on ly listen to the base damage, not the total damage

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Congrats, elite-guard, maybe you SHOULD read the previous pages before posting (and being new is no excuse, your just lazy), you just said the same thing that I'd already explained.
    Anyway, I thought that the Hardened Shields were a Passive Ability that that the Immortals had, therefore, they still activate when it has no Shield left. Some people have been saying that EMP Shockwave would get rid of their Shields, therefore the Hardened Shields would not activate, but I reckon that Hardened Shield should be a new technology that the Protoss have invented that is not affected by or related to the normal Shield. So even if the Immortal has been EMP'd (which removes all of their Shield) then Hardened Shield will still activate.
    I do like BirdofPrey's idea very much though... Any attack that is over 10 damage is reduced to 20% of the original damage (If I understood it correctly). It makes a lot of sense, in that the more powerful the attack is, the more powerful the shield generated is. However it would have to be reduced to a minimum of 10, otherwise you'll have attacks of 11 which would only just activate the Hardened Shield, doing 2-3 damage.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Actually I think the hardened shields are linked to the regular shields and are depleted with them. In the gameplay video a couple of immortals did die and if you watch closely their shields are depleted and the hardened don't activate. Thus meaning when the regular shield has been depleted after several shots the hardened shield doesn't work either. It isn't a separate system just an improvement to an existing one

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    All the hardened shields do is reduce the damage of any attack to 10. No more, no less. It's almost like a huge armor upgrade.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    A huge and variable armor upgrade. The reason I suggested making it a percentage is nukes and heavy hitter spells like yamato and psi storm would still be able to harm the unit due to the fact that the massive damage even when reduced to 20-25% would still be enough to burn out the shield, while siege tanks and heavy hitting units will still have reduced enough damage for the immortal to survive a short time and kill said unit.

How it is now it doesn't matter if you hit it with a tank shell or railgun as it all does the same damage so then what is the use of fielding a high damage unit against it when a medium damage does just as much. Also nuke and yamato become a problem being either reduced to 10 damage which is a load of crap or totally ignoring the shield which is also kinda stupid

13. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    a nuke almost doing no damage, that would almost make an immortal, immortal almost

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That would be imbalanced

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, I seriously doubt that abilities will be affected by the hardened shields. It's much more balanced if abilities ignore the shield. It might be a little stupid, but having the shield reduce damage is worse. Far as I know, abilities ignored armor in the first game, and the hardened shields are basically an armor upgrade.

16. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

yes abilities should ignore the shield.it's only fair,otherwise every immortal would come out alive against a nuke,and that's just wrong...

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

game play wise stalkers are the new dragoon, they have almost the same stats plus the bonus blink ability. immortal, on the other hand is a completely new unit design to take on heavy ground armor like tank, ultra and twilight archon. the immortal have much more hp than the original dragoon, but less range and can only attack ground

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

If you watch closesly at the toss gameplay, the final battle there is one immortal not touched by siege tanks, and hit only by marines reapers, and it was shot untill it had no shields than a siege tank hit it (for the 1st time 100% sure, and the hardened shields did not activate)

I like the mechanic of the immortal, its not really that overpowering, its just good vs siege tanks, thats it.

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    With my idea the abilities wouldn't have to ignore the shield. The unit would still die

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    That's exactly the point of the Immortal. Why attack it with high firepower? You're wasting it. Exactly.

Also, abilities will still probably effect the unit heavily. Just make the nuclear attack be a large number of small attacks, etc. It's not like anything else is going to survive anyway....

Besides, now the Terran have a unit that will survive a nuke and so do the Protoss...

I'm fine with the Immortal as it is.