1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for new Zerg Mechanics. (Post your theories and ideas)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ych, Jul 23, 2007.

Ideas for new Zerg Mechanics. (Post your theories and ideas)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ych, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm completely against changing the mechanics of SC1 in favor for the mechanics of WC3.

Units in Starcraft have never been affected by another unit on its team in relation to speed, strength, etc.

I don't want auras. They will tangle the game and make it too unrealistic.

I really like the locust idea. This could be a good counter for the Protoss increased regeneration. It would be a good way to do it without being imba because the Zerg would have to return to creep, but it wouldn't offer "free" regeneration like other posts about creep enhancing regeneration would.

I love the idea of buildings healing faster because that has been a huge problem with the Zerg. I also love the damage absorption because Zerg buildings have relatively no armor and do not survive onslaughts for very long.

So long as this is an upgrade, I'm on board!

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Zerg buildings have just as much armor as the other race buildings. All non-combat buildings in SC1 have 1 armor. In fact, while cannons, turrets, and spore colonies have 0 armor, sunkens actually have a whopping 2 armor.

12 armor is bad. It is imba and OP to say the least. Having 12 armor on top of regen/repair is even worse.

3. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Of course, the idea has to be tweaked. I guessed 12 armor would be insane, but i decided to hear out the opinions of the community before altering it.

4. joshin

joshin New Member

I like your idea SirBaron, but i feel that since the locusts are automatic some people might feel that they aren't part of strategy?
    It would be cool though because I always imagine Zerg infestations as filled with little bugs and things that wouldn't be fun to be in.

I was also think that there would be a way to "shut them down" just in case your low on mins and gas.

quick questions... wouldn't 12 armor make marines useless?
    and I thought that larvae could survive without creep.. eh. Great Idea though

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well in relation to the other ideas on this thread, it would either be the Genetic Complex or this locust defense in order to counter the Terran and Protoss defense systems.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol.... Anyway.... thought you guys should check out this idea I had from the other thread in case no one's been paying attention....

Zerg capital ship (not really capital), takes the place of Devourers(the Zerg "Retch"?). Latches on to an opposing capital ship (scourge style) but isn't self-sacrificial. Expensive unit, but it crashes into an enemy capital ship and cripples it with its sheer weight. That unit can no longer move very fast but can still shoot. The attached unit then deals a large amount of damage over a period of time as it digests the ship's armor with some serious acid reflux. If the unit is not killed (the unit it is attached to cannot shoot at it) by other units, the affected unit is eventually destroyed.

Needs a balance of armor to kill time.

EDIT: How about the "Belimilisk?"

7. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

Isnt that like using plague and ensare at the same time?

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Kind of except its not a widespread ability. It would be like a massive scourge that isn't self-sacrificing. It's also a unit so you can end the torture by killing the unit. Not effective against too much firepower, but it is if you also have a Zerg Swarm to support it. ;)

It's perfect, to me, it fits the feel of Zerg because it doesn't involve "technology" and it still requires the "swarm" technique.

EDIT: @ Star-Crap , please read the forum rules as you have broken two rules at once. With 153 posts I would think you would be aware of this. You should not quote the post just above yours, and you shouldn't quote longer than you type.

9. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    This would be an interesting new mechanic to the Zerg. I call it the Zerg "Trojan Horse/Doppelganger" Silent Terror. It works similar to that of a Zerg Overlord and Infested Terran Combined. This unit is not a spell caster and is not a super unit. It is a martyr unit.

Zerg Silent Terror

Tier: ?? Size: Small
    Cost:150 Minerals/150 Gas Unit Count: 2
    Armor: 0 Armor Type: Biological
    Hit points: 50 Energy: 20

The mechanics of this unit work like this. The unit is produced at a Hatchery/Lair/Hive. The unit can be sent into the field alone or within the swarm. Either way would work. Once the unit reaches the outskirts of a base of an opposing Faction the unit morphs into the form of a Worker of that race. (SCV,Probe, Drone) That unit then descends to the enemies worker operation center. The Unit Morph can only happen once and when it occurs it last for 20 Seconds. In this time the unit will work like a worker for the opponent. It will not become under his control, but, will look to be his own unit. The worker will mine minerals/gas for him ,but, will absorb the minerals/gas into its own body(It would still show the animation of bringing a mineral/gas to the players Nexus/Command Center/Hatchery/Lair/Hive.)

As the energy fades, like that of a Broodling, the Silent Terror will slowly deform from the unit it is. At the point when the Silent Terror's energy reaches 0 it will explode (Similar to an Infested Terran.) and cause damage to surrounding units. The transformed Silent Terror can be revealed by a detector. Otherwise it is only detectable by the energy countdown. This idea may need to be reworked a bit, but, has potential. Btw I would like to ask if someone could come up with a better name for it if any. Another contribution. (Btw the Overlord combination is the fact that this unit does not have any damage at all. :) )

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Changeling would be a good name for it...... Suggest a demon.

But I'm pretty sure this idea is rather imba. Although it would be a good mineral raider. It would need some flaw to be detectable without the detector. Like if you drag your mouse over it you see the red symbol of an enemy unit, etc....

I'm not totally won over by this idea.

11. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I should have made the deformation a bit clearer. Once it takes the form of that worker it slowly reverts over the 20 energy tics to that of its original form. The change would be visual. So it would go from a normal SCV for example to the Zerg Changeling. ( :) )

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol I'm guessing you like my idea for a name.

13. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Silent Terror eh? Sounds like what I sometimes produce after a hearty meal...

...hehe :p

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    LOL..... anyone seen the PSAs for not smoking indoors?

There's a pretty funny one at a dinner table.... something about:

"The lethal cloud Dad is about to release could kill us all!!!"

15. Apologies if these have already been suggested.

1) Zerg Ultimate: Rather than having a super unit such as the thor or the mothership, I think it would suit the Zerg much better if they had a upgrade where the moment it finishes researching, you produce more units at the same cost. Rather than 2 zerglings, you produce 3. Instead of 1 hydralisk, you get 2. When you evolve zerglings into banelings you get 2 banelings per each zergling. Something like that

2) A Land Carrier: Taking the form of a slow slug like creature, it doesn't attack directly but instead uses a swarm of tiny man eating locusts that slowly devour their enemies, then fly back into their host and gives back a small amount of minerals and gas which can be used to produce even MORE locust swarms.

3) Devouring Swarm: Expansing on the idea in 2, I think it would really suit the zerg if after slaughtering mass numbers of enemy troops that they can spawn more in the field. Overlords would plant themselves into the ground and zerglings that have killed a few enemy troops (or rather devoured them) would enter and the overlord would be able to produce zerg units based on the number carcasses that the zerglings bring in. The theory behind this is the unending qualities of the zerg, so a swarm that overwhelms enemy defenses at the cost of many of their number will be near replenished by the time reinforcements arrive and they have to deal with that again.

4) Movable creep/sunken/spore/new colonies: Just a neat idea

5) Defilers: An integral part of zerg late game, they should definetly make a return, with more emphasis on its sinister, covert side. Perhaps grant them some abilities used by the queen. Parasite would do the same as in the original except, players may activate the parasite inside and a host of broodlings pops out who will in turn self destruct after a short time if not killed immediately, potentially wrecking havoc in enemy lines. Plague could become a sort of "timed" contagious virus where the unit is fine for a time, but spreads the virus to units that spend too much time near em, who may spread it even further. Until the virus breaks out and greatly cripples and slowly damages units. Not sure how to modify Dark Swarm so leaving it as is with improved graphics would be sweat and of course, devouring zerg units is a must.

Thats it from now for now

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Torch_Of_Liberty , I know you're new to the forum, so welcome. But please show the courtesy of reading the entire thread before you post. It simply lets us not have to re-read an idea that is the same or very similar to old ones.

I cannot remember if your idea has been posted. That should be your job, lol.

Welcome to the forums.

P.S. - I forgive you! :D

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

18. WuHT

WuHT New Member

forgive me about the word Auras. I only said it because it'd be easier to conceptialize. For the starcraft 2 universe, imagine the Upgraded Overlord giving off some special phermone to drive the zerg warriors into an enhanced battle-state. Howsaboutthat ?

Merged posts. Please read the forum rules and do not double post.

errr -- just to add to the strength of an "aura/phermone" mechanic.

Massing units (zerg theme) benefit more from upgrades that affect all units. Powerful units like the protoss (at least to me) seem to benefit more from advanced technological and psionic abilities that units can use.

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Zerg healing on creep is a must have.

Here's an idea. Zerg get a horde bonus like the Chinese in Generals.

20. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

@WuHT: Kudos to you man, you gave me a splendid idea.

Zerg Pheromone Glands
    Cost: High/High (Tier3)
    Description: Provides Overlords, Queens, Hives and Defilers with Pheromone Glands, which produces different kinds of Pheromones that causes Zerg to respond in different ways.

Overlord Pheromones:
    Produces a pheromone that stimulates the Adrenaline glands of Zerg Units, giving them a small bonus to their attack speed and movement speed. The effect may stack up to 3 times (3 Overlords).

Queen Pheromones:
    Produces a pheromone which stimulates the production of new cells and metasynaptic energy in the body of Zerg units, increasing the rate at which they regenerate health and energy out of combat by a moderate amount. This may stack up to 3 times (3 Queens).

Hive Pheromones:
    Produces a pheromone that stimulates Creep, increasing the amount of nutrition that may pass through it, providing 10% more health to Zerg structures on the same creep as the Hive. The Hive also increases the rate at which Zerg units regenerate health by a moderate amount when on Creep. This may not stack several times.

Defiler Pheromones:
    Produces a pheromone that makes Zerg units more agressive, increasing their damage by a small amount. This may stack up to 3 times (3 Defilers).

Special things to take into consideration regarding Pheromones:
    They reach over a large area, and will continue to benefit units as long as the unit providing pheromones remain nearby. However, should the units producing pheromones die, the units it was empowering will suffer a mental feedback and become slow and unresponsive for a very short period of time.