1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for new Zerg Mechanics. (Post your theories and ideas)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ych, Jul 23, 2007.

Ideas for new Zerg Mechanics. (Post your theories and ideas)

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ych, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol I'd be happy with a more effective ensnare or some time of limiter to the other race's spell casting abilities.

Like the Science Vessel could preemptively thwart spelled attacks by using EMP, so should Zerg be able to counter attacks from other races.

2. b0urne

b0urne New Member

i'm not sure if anyone has posted this (i'm not gonna read 10 pgs of posts) but what if zerg hatcheries, or maybe evolved hives had an attack called Leech.

Its functionality would be much like the planetary fortress for the terran CC. It would work like this: any organic ground units that move within a hatchery's aoe creep would be at risk, degenerating the health of the units and leeching it back to the hatchery. this would provide some excellent defense as units will be continually produced here. Since any given user would have multiple hatcheries at one time, this feature can also be used for strategic defenses.

lemme know what u guys think

(also, to add: whoever came up with the idea of zerg overlords landing and creating a temporary creep; this is a great idea!)

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm not sure who the original posted was, but I believe it was Remy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, b0urne, if you want to post on a topic, I would suggest you read it from the beginning. 10 pages isn't really that much if you want to participate wholly in a dicussion.

Other posters who have been posting on this thread and participating in the discussion find it rude if you were to just randomly post something on it without reading it and getting a handle on the topic. Not to mention that you will post something someone else has already talked about.

While you didn't completely repeat what someone else has said, there was an idea suggested a lot similar to your own. If you had read the thread you may have been able to adapt their idea to your own. In all, I don't think your idea is all that far-fetched, but I do think it is a bit too similar to the Planetary Fortress function, although it is different enough to give it some thought.

4. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Random thought here but wut if the zerg had a new big unit that once killed it turned into 2 smaller units?
    the food supply would add up to wut the big unit takes up. You would probablly have to research this ability.

it would like using spawn broodling on your on units but with out the queen.

5. StormCrow

StormCrow New Member

A bunch of ideas:

An ability for Zerg Hive (yes Hive only).

Larva burst:

When using this ability, five larvae will instantly burst out from the Hive. These larvae are different and superior compared to regular larvae. They have different look and they can mutate into units 50% faster.
    One Hive should be able to miantain 3 regular larvae and 5 ''super'' larvae at the same time.

This ability should certainly have a cooldown, energy or resource cost, so it would't be too overpowered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new ability for Guardian (this is why they are called guardians ;)):

Guard structure:

The guardian attaches to selected friendly structure. the structure will recieve an armor bonus of 2, and a base health increase of 200. When the guardian is set to guard a structure, it can't be targeted, and it can't be unattached from the structure. Only one guardian can be attached to a single building.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new Queen ability, mating (lol).

To make this ability work in the way I want, the Queen should recieve some changes in mechanics aswell.

A Queen works as an egg transporter. It can pick up any egg on the battlefield wether its an evolution or a larva egg from a hatchery. A maximum of 10 eggs can be transported by a single Queen.
    When you choose an egg on the battlefield and load it to your Queen, the evolution process of the egg will continue, but stop when it reaches 99%. When you unload the egg to a selected location, the evolution will continue to 100% and the unit will be born.

Now to the actual ability.

The Queen is able to mate with a Zergling (lol poor guys. I won't go into details here). This ability requires about 20 energy. When used on a selected zergling, an egg will appear inside the queen. This egg will produce 2 Larvae when it is unloaded on the ground.

That's all this time :)

6. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

The Zerg is not about damage absorbtion, it's about kamikaze-tactics. That's why the units are so cheap. Lings+Hydras+2defilers and some wellplaced Dark Swarms beat the heck out of any ling+ultra combo, any day, i'm afraid. The Ultra has always lacked big time, and i for one hopes it never returns to SC2 in it's previous form.

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

ultra + crackling in only used against the protoss as dark swarms are less effective against them

8. MyWifeforauir

MyWifeforauir New Member

right no idea if anyone has already posted this skimmed through the discussion of 10 pages so might have missed it.
    Right since the zerglings already have wings why not make it something more interesting later on?
    By having an upgarade which allows zerglings to glide over some areas for a brief time (Increase strength of wings) so by this ability zerglings can go over water. Also this ability will not allow the zergling to glide up cliffs but however allows it to glide from the cliff to the ground. But if the effect of the wings wear out while the zerglings are over pits/water/space the zerglings will die. Makes the zerglings effective against island expansions. But for balance issues the glide ability will have a cooldown ability (reason the wings were under strain lifeting the zerglings up so the wings need to rest for a time until zerglings can glide again.
    OR
    Have an upgrade which automatically makes the zerglings glide over some limited distance of water/pit but however the zerglings will not glide if the distance is too long. Also zerglings may glide over some short doodads. It also can glide down cliffs but however unable to go back up again. (Control needed to make sure some zerglings don't glide down cliffs when you don't want them to)

9. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

if only the carrier wasnt a protoss unit... a zerg bug carrier like wouldve been a very good unit..
    imagine like a big bug with lots of mini bugs buzzing out from it for offense,,,,

*anyway my idea is for a new evolution for the scourges --- into something like an air zergling
    (winglings??) ^_^ since zerg isnt that much about power but masses i think
    this one would do

*Devolution!!!! -- maybe one can devolve an evolve unit for a cost of time but no refunds...

*Ultralisk -- cleave attack was the poor guys obvious missing aspect... or maybe the second step to
    evolution

*Bio-mechanic zerg unit -- maybe after years of infestation the zerg found a way to spread its stench
    on the other races,, (the reaver for instance which now is an organic worm
    spitting heavy nuke acid burps) ^_^

*Hydras - the "worm" upgrade -- hehehe maybe being a snake like figure they can now travel cliffs or
    maybe even the river for a refreshing swim.. (we wouldnt want to stench all day
    now would we??)

*Overlord -- maybe can lay an egg

*Nightvision -- maybe a point increase on zerg range units during night time.. animal intincts perhaps

*Cerebrate structure -- maybe a comsat station like building able to detect places pin pointed

10. BHOCKER

BHOCKER New Member

I think there should be a unit that the more time you give it to spawn(hatch) the more powerful it gets.

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think Zerg units should be given an ability to evolve into their hero forms, ie hydra to hunter killers. It would require a research done at the Hive, an the process would cost at least half the unit's base price. They would also lose all bonuses from Evolution Chamber upgrades.

12. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Perhaps if Overlords carrying Hydras could allow them a hatch to fire at enemies while being carried... Would fix transport vulnerability, detector vulnerability and supply vulnerability all in one! lol And it would also provide a shelter for Hydras to hide while facing their enemies.

13. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

WOAH!! That would be crazy. An infested Reaver. Of course, they would need to add the Protoss Reaver back into the game if that were to happen.

I think that every unit should have at least one evolved form. This was the coolest thing about the zerg (hydras, mutas).

14. b0urne

b0urne New Member

how about an update on on all zerg ground unit defences, something along the lines of "spiked carapace" whereby any enemy unit that does melee damage to a zerg ground unit, will take damage to itself as well.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I like this idea. Perhaps a 4 food unit at tier 3 that pops into two 2 food units when it is killed, then the 2 food units each pop into very weak 1 food units when they are killed.

The exact details to each of the units involved could be varied but I think overall the idea has immense potential and could be very cool for Zerg. I think I've thought about something like this before but I'm not sure, it might've been something that came up with in the Fate of the Ultralisk thread. But I'm sure everyone's seen something similar in other games of the past. It's a great mechanic to apply to Zerg though, nice one Star-Crap.

And @ Joneagle_X, I'm the one that originally came up with the idea of ovies landing to provide creep, I can't remember who it was though. In any case, I shouldn't be credited for that particular idea.

16. roderek

roderek Guest

maybe someone already said something like this but here it goes...

How about some buildings like (sunken,spore) colonyes upgrade to make the creep around em to be like poisonous for enemy units, maybe not to zerg enemy units. Guess that'll make sense with the zerg idea of planet consumers. This would be a way to control map spots.

A new unit could be a big fat wormlike poisonous and slow unit so that meele atackers would suffer when close to it, imaginate it like corrosive acid coming from him so it would be good to end with enemy buildings also, and as aditional ability it could blow for attacking air units.

17. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

That's not a bad idea, Roderek. It might do well to counter a form of regeneration, though that would mostly only effect the protoss. As far as other units go, I'm thinking it would only affect organic units.

I'm not too sure about it "blowing" something upwards to hit air though, especially if it's a fat worm thing. But not a bad idea.

I've always fancied the idea of having an "aura" like power for any given unit, not just the zerg. But as far as the zerg goes, I'm thinking something that acts like dark swarm but obviously not as powerful but always active for those around the emitting unit.

18. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Ok, time for another of SirBaron's crazy ideas:

"Zerg Locust"
    Essentially, it's a mid-game upgrade, maybe later tier 2/early tier 3. High cost, automatically spawns Zerg Locusts at every Hatchery/Lair/Hive as well as at Creep Colonies and Queen's Nests. Locusts are small, automated and non-targetable (only for enemies) units that fly around and "tend" to your bases, doing different tasks. The tasks are:
    1, Mend: Spends minerals and - if needed - gas to "repair" Zerg structures and units. The Mending itself is slow, and can quite easily be punched through, but allows for quicker regeneration inbetween enemy attacks as well as a slightly faster recovery for wounded workers/units. Mend costs 1 mineral per 10 hp for basic units and buildings, and 2 minerals and 1 gas per 10 hp for advanced units and buildings.
    2, Mental Stimulation: "Fills" a friendly caster unit with energy for a cost of 2 gas per 10 energy.
    3, Creep Spread: Spreads creep around buildings. This is automatic. Hatheries/Lairs/Hives and Creep Colonies built after Zerg Locusts have been researched produces their wide creep range substantially faster than Creep Colonies early game.
    4, Swarm: The Locusts start to fly around it's buildings, acting like a shield, absorbing 1 damage done to the building per Locust.

Things worth taking into notice:
    *First: Locusts cannot be targeted or killed, unless being in the explosion of a Nuke or in the AoE of a Psi Storm. Even so, Locusts will be instantly replaced by it's structure as long as said structure still stands. That means, buildings with Locusts gain a 12 damage absorb as long as the building stands.

*Second: Creep Spread - what this does essentially is add a few matrices of creep around normal buildings - meaning those who do not produce either Locusts nor Creep. While it does not add any more Creep matrices to Hatcheries/Lair/Hives and Creep colonies, it does improve the rate at which these structures produce so called "Wide Creep" at construction. Queen's Nests does not benefit from either of these bonuses.

*Third: Hatcheries/Lairs/Hives and Creep Colonies produce 12 Locust each. They cannot be selected individually, even though these Locusts can move individually (in other words, click on one locust and you select all of them). Queen's Nests produces 16 Locusts.

*Fourth: Locusts can move as far as they need to on Creep, very much like Larvae. Also, they will die if moving outside creep, like Larvae. Like Larvae, they also function automatically, and move about on their own, preventing your intervention.

*Fifth: See their tasks kind of as the Unit Choices of Larvae - you just press one of the buttons, and they automatically do that task throughout your base. Swarm is automatically activated should the Locusts buildings be attacked.

*Sixth: When evolved into defensive sub-forms, the Creep Colony lose their Locusts.

That's all for now.

19. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Auras for small bonuses (movespeed, attack, armour, life regen) would be great as possible upgrades to overlords. Makes more sense to tag a few of them with you to battle.

--- as many of you have mentioned : The zerg creep had the most potential, aside from preventing toss/terran buildings from being built.

---
    another point is that the poor ultralisk (tank class unit) is most likely going to recieve an awesome buff to make em useable. The problem is, the low-tech zerg i thoguht should the race least likely to tech..winning via massing/expanding as it's key strengths. Imagine ultralisk with hardened shields (!!!)
    I'd be happy if they had better pathing.

20. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i hate to burst your bubble but auras?? can u come up with something more zergish?? zerg isnt about meditation and aura power like the protoss or leadership qualities like terran leaders lol would u imagine how it would sound like if a certain zerg unit would imoralize his clan to boost something maybe it will sound like this

Kerrigan: work for me you fools!!!
    Guardian: woof! woof!
    Queen: wannngnyak
    Hydras: hraaaahhh!!!

^_^ ^_^ ^_^ thats just funny but anyway the lisk is sumthing we'd both agree on to be buffed.. but no further carapace please.. offense and speed is what he more needs

blizz really did made a good idea to develop the nydus worm making the map an easy access for them to cope up with modern tech of warp ins and heavy base defenses of terrans..

my idea is for the creep field to add a slowing effect for ground units since its really oozy and sticky the way it looks then maybe that would be its purpose.. maybe the zerg also needs a general structure for defense and not divide it into two strux coz were wasting drone lives for that T_T my previous ideas are stated above