1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i HATE dark templars

Discussion in 'Terran' started by KidAmnesiac, Aug 26, 2010.

i HATE dark templars

Discussion in 'Terran' started by KidAmnesiac, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Takaim

Takaim Member

I never knew that. That's sick. Still have yet to see a Terran with enough apm and diversity to actually use a ghost for emp. Had one try...but he just couldn't get em up fast enough and I beat him down. I love DTs though, they've saved my *ss on quite a few occassions.

2. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Dt's are way more useful vs protoss and zerg. Most 1v1's can be won if opponents are overlly defensive at their ramp, fast DT warp into the back.

Terrain have it easy in reguard to detection.

Overall dt's are only useful if in large numbers or they have no detection.

3. BigDog617

BigDog617 New Member

I don't know that I agree... It's been said before but getting the scanner going early will really help minimize this threat. They're a very weak defensive unit so as long as you can "see" them you should be able to "beat" them.

4. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    DT's blow in most situations.

I only get them if I see my opponent is bad and has no detection.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

Tasmania
    How fast can an opponent get DT's in number to pose a serious threat ?

I've played 2 Vs 2 and have been hit around the five minute mark !
    Usually at that stage, I'm still building up stuff and do not yet have any detection units mobile apart from command scan as Terran.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    By the time someone gets dt's you should have detection up, if nothing else other than a spore crawler/cannon or two. or even an obs or overseer

If you don't, ur just bad, ltgb.

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    It's pretty easy to throw up an Engineering Bay before they can get close to Dark Tamplars.

A missile turret by your ramp, and getting an Orbital Command around 16 supply is easy.

Scans and a defended ramp.

8. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Don't forget them elsewhere too, protoss don't need to come in your front door.

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Hence the Orbital Command for scanning, but a turret near the mineral line helps.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Australia
    Erm. Dude, the only way you could improve on this, is by looking for replays in youtube and etc. you need to learn from the best inorder to be the best. Good luck.

11. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
  12. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    What works pretty well is if you can afford it mid to late game is wapring in 4-5 dts at T's back and killing command center asap.

Be sure to scout first though, for if they have any turrets you should not do this.

Use this as a means to distract, its not an end game move.

13. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    The terran can just lift it up or repair it before you can do any serious damage and the army will come and kill the templars. It's better to just kill scvs.... Could work against protoss since they have no way to save their nexus(terran can repair/liftoff, zerg can transfuse) so imo only toss can fall victims to such a strat.

14. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Getting you to move your army is the entire intent.

A good player will take advantage of the time that your reacting.

15. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    A better player will not move his whole army, but only as much as needed to clear the threat :p

16. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Spliting up your army? Wow I can't imagine how that would be at all useful. :rolleyes:

17. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Yeah, good terrans when faced with 5 DTs in the back immediately unsiege from any location on the map they have tanks in and pull everything back to deal with the threat of doom. It's obviously a better choice strategically to abandon your map control to kill 5 DTs than just pull a 6man MM ball put in in one of those medvacs, drop it on top of the dt's and kill them while the vulnerable buildings are levitating safely above the base.

And that is if the terran played badly and there was no buildings producing stuff already, cause with the average production circle a 2-3 basing terran would have you're bound to have units popping out of the rax/factories ready to kill the drop seconds after it's made(cause if the terran only has an expo then the army should be either close or attacking with reinforcements being made on the way).

Seriously, there's nothing more useless than overreacting, and pulling your whole army to kill 5 DTs(that's a total of 400 points of damage, less than a thor's total hp if you include armor bonuses the DTs lack) makes you a bad player.

18. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    You really still don't get it..

Any reaction taken, is the purpose, it is the moment of distraction that is useful.
    It doesn't matter what you send to deal with it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  19. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Always have a Raven or two out and you should be fine.

20. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Man, read at your post please, and then comment on what I'm getting.

You first said that P should warp in 4-5 dts in the back of the T base and kill CC asap and also distract the enemy.

I replied that going for the CC is stupid because the terran can save it(He can repair it or lift it off) and you replied that the point is him moving his whole army back. So I said that there's no need to move your whole army back to kill just 5 units. Another 5 of yours will do, especially if marauders with shells are included, and you said that splitting up the army isn't useful, while on the previous post you argued that the aim is to move his army. So I ask, if moving your army achieves your opponent's aim, why do that when you're not forced to? Just grab a slice of fast units, stim them and move them back for the kill. So you both deal with the templars and you don't move your army from it's trench.
    Then you said that I don't get it and the aim is to distract him.
    Well, you really don't get that you're not somehow countering my argument at all.

Any drop will do for distraction and any drop will do some damage. 5 DTs are overkill and most of the time when playing against a midlly competent enemy you'll suffer more damage than you'll do losing 5 DTs.
    Also it's stupid to attack the command center and hope your enemy just had an accident and had both his hands cut off, since it only takes a "x"-"L" to lift it off where x is the key it's bound on.
    So instead of going for the gamble that 95% of the time won't work, kill scvs instead and actually make some damage. And again since SCVs will run fast, you'll only get a few shots, get 2-3 dts instead kill 6-10 scvs and then load them back and go.

Out of many possibilities you chose a very expensive unit to drop and used it to attack the target that the least likely to die, minimising your chances of doing ANY damage, then coupled that with an 2 arguments that conflict each other(first it's the aim of the drop to make the terran move his army, and then saying that splitting a small force off the army is bad for the terran for some unknown reason. and that not counting units produced during production cycles within the base, and the fact that terran don't need turrets since htey have scans for stealthed units) and finished with me not getting what you said....
    I clearly got what you said, exactly as you said it, and I believe there isn't anyone that did not understand that. It's just that I don't agree with it and explained why.

Instead of going "you don't get it" maybe review your post and see what you wrote and either rephrase it or if it's what you meant exactly, give some argument to support it, really, that's how reasonable people do.