1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Rex

Rex New Member

Are you speaking to me Simon? or someone else.

2. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

whom ever feels they need an apoogy for something i said i guess lol

3. Armadeo

Armadeo New Member

Remember, unless Blizzard has changed it recently, the HT and the DT both require a different building in order to be enabled. If the Twilight Archon needed both units, that would put it higher tier than even the carrier was in Starcraft 1, as you would have to build both the Templar Archives and the Dark Obelisk. In fact, it would put the Twilight Archon right up there with the Arbiter in terms of accessibility and tech tree requirements.

As of right now, being able to use two HTs or two DTs to access the TA puts it in the same tier as the carrier. I think this is a very good spot for the little guy because it put him far enough up the tech tree that you won't see him every game, but not so far up that he's only accessible in the longest of games.

4. Rex

Rex New Member

I say the Twilight Archon should have special attack effect like stunning an enemy when attack it for like 1 second (Like a 30% chance) Or to even cast some spells :D Orrrrr Have a special energy damaging units near it, like some sort of defensive storm around it.

5. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well, you could make the Twilight Archon stronger, as you are also increasing his tier.
    I think there needs to be a balance between gameplay and lore. You need a unit that fits its role perfectly, does not overlaps with anything else, AND makes sense lorewise. Otherwise, you have a unit that does not fit.
    Problem is that, Lore is the hardest thing to balance because once a belief is created, there is no way to turn it back. For example, It's common knowledge that an Archon is created by merging 2 high templars, due to their connection with the Khala and blahblah, so if you suddenly come and tell me: ''Hey, you know what, actually you can't merge 2 high templars anymore, for no reason whatsoever'' then I'm gonnna go: ''What?''.
    SO, Blizz should fix this.
    I think the most viable options are:

1- Axing the Twilight Archon and recovering the other 2 archons (which seems highly unlikely).
    2- Creating the TA with 1 of each templars, and increasing its tier level, therefore increasing its overall power and cost I guess. OR
    3- Keeping everything the way it is, but giving a VERY good reason why it is like this and not the way it was in SC1 (in terms of Lore of course).

6. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

Maelstrom, they already gave a reason, which I explained in my previous post.

The reason that they gave to explain the lore is that at the time that SC1 took place, High Templars were strictly associated with the 'light' energies of the Protoss. This is because, although the two sides were working together, there was still a rift between the 'dark' and 'light' sides of the race. So taking two beings of completely 'light' energy made an uber-light being, the Archon. The same in reverse applies to the DTs and Dark Archon.

But now, at the time of SC2, the Protoss have been reunited. HTs are no longer strictly associated with 'light' energies. DTs are no longer associated with strictly 'dark' energies. So if HTs aren't strictly 'light', then how could they possibly combine to make the same uber-light being they could before? All Templar, both High and Dark, have souls that are now entwined with both sides of the proverbial coin. Thus, when you put two souls together, it doesn't matter where they came from, because all their souls are made up of both.

Think of it this way. in SC1, HTs are purely 'light'. So we'll think of them as being +1. DTs were purely 'dark', so we'll think of them as being -1. So in SC1, two HTs would be 1+1=2. That two represents the Archon, a being of two positives melded. A Dark Archon would be -1-1=-2. The negative two represents the Dark Archon, a being of two negatives crammed into one.

In SC2, both HTs and DTs are a combination of the old +1, -1 schtick. So they're both at zero. No matter what combination you make, it's still going to be 0+0=0. You'll always get the same answer.

Except that last zero glows blue and shoots lightning ;D.

7. Armadeo

Armadeo New Member

Or they could just ax the whole two templar two different building prerequisite. That way the TA can remain at a decent tier level and fit the lore with the whole-one-of-each-templar to make it thing.

Personally, I don't care what's required to make the Twilight Archon, I just don't like the idea of it being higher in the tech tree than the carrier is.

In SC1, final tier units tended to be more tactical in nature. The Arbiter and the defiler were incredibly weak, but a single one could change the course of a battle with it's spells. I really can't see the Twilight Archon as anything more then heavy infantry with some spells to back it up.

8. Rex

Rex New Member

So does that mean you agree with me Bizarro about the Twilight Archon having some spells? Like Slow Storm damages you slowly and makes you slow, or each attack on a unit with energy can cause more damage, and depletes energy as well.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Some TA skills would be interesting as long as it dosn't become some sort of Assualt Caster that can take 20 hits before dieing and still being able to dish out major amounts of damage.

They have said it will get feedback

10. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    ei, i saw i pic where psi storm is casted, so that means psi storm is included in the game?

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Yes psi storm is in the game on the HT

12. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

how does it look?

i dont think ive seen it

13. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Psi storm with SmartCast scares me. Could you imagine, just picking out 10 HTs, cating Psi Storm in 20 different areas, with no real micro required, then just morphing them to Archons to clean up the mess? It woud be incredibly easy to spam.

Select HT group.
    Hit P, click.
    Repeat 19 times.

Scares me, to be honest.

14. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

i think psionic storm costs too much too cast twice. ANd it's not like HT's are 50 min. Cost a lot of gas in original game. If you did get 10 HT's, You either wouldn't have many defences or an army. Anyways, It's not THAT hard to micro Ht's. Just number them or keep them apart

15. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

In the original you could cast it twice per HT. And as true as it is that they're expensive, you could still mass them.

16. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

17. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Eh, maybe with a few expansions, but that's still late game. You thinka few ghosts can't pick them off? It's not like the HT's are totally invincible. If I'm not wrong, I believe the HT's were 150 gas? Or am I wrong? ANyways, I know they were pretty expensive in terms of gas.

18. Reaper87

Reaper87 New Member

High templars should have their own archon, and Dark templars should also have their own. The Twilight Archon should be a mix between the two. I really depended on the Dark Archon. :(

19. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

But then the Twilight archons might overlap the other two archons

20. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

Well, A) It would make sense and B) Give it different spells then the dark archon and a different attack then the 'light' archon...