1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

1. OriginalSin

OriginalSin New Member

Dude the point of the Twilight Archon is to be frankly inaccessible in short battles when you are in skirmishes archons are litterally impossible to get before your down on you knees with a Thor knocking on you front door BUT in long sieges TA are nearly impossible to defeat i.e ive heard from a blizzard meeting (youtube) that one TA can kill 10 marines within 1 min with no spells and only half of his sheild is gone if that was just one think what 5 could do to a army (with backup)

2. Rex

Rex New Member

Now the Protoss have adapted and can make Stronger Archons with both energies (Thats my best guess I'll try to research it in my spare time) :D

Actually he just learned how to gather energies like Dark Templars from the void instead of Khala energies.

3. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

idk in my opinion this oversight or whatever it maybe allowing 2 high or 2 dark to make a twilight archon makes me almost not want to play at all honestly thou i prolly will cause i love starcraft but it will break my heart usually they are so good with keeping to the storyline stuff wows corrupted them i think i mean come on there is no way you can justify it except to say it is for game mechanics but idk thats a pretty big sacrifice for a game mechanic in my humble opinion.

4. Armadeo

Armadeo New Member

I understand that lore wise, it makes no sense for two HT or two DT to make a Twilight Archon. However, lore comes second to game balance. The last time I checked, the DT and HT both require different buildings (as opposed to the original SC, where both units required nothing more than the Templar Archive) and because of this, you would never see the TA in most games if you could only make them from a combination of both Templar as you'd have to tech both High and Dark templar to use them, which I'm assuming most people won't do during a normal game of starcraft.

As for the whole two HT=Archon, DT=Dark Archon and the HT/DT=Twilight Archon thing, personally I think that's way too many archons. I'd rather just stick with a Twilight Archon, give it some of the Dark Archon's spells, and give it the Archons attack capabilities.

5. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

Your reason of gameplay over lore is good but I see no way that having one of each (not 2 of either) effects gameplay at all. Needing both just means you can't make this powerful unit till later game which in my opinion makes sence. If all you want out of the game is to win as quick as possible then you won't use the twilight. I understand that you would want to be able to use it earlier and such but you saying that is like saying the (SC1) carrier was pointless because you could only use it late game...

In the end I still think it should be one and ONLY one of each and there is nothing wrong with it being late game...

6. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i dont like the idea of there being 3 archons...
    i would rather just have a toned down dark archon and a beefed up ( a little, not too much ) twilight archon

twighlight would need: 1 high + 1 dark OR 2 high
    dark would require: 2 dark

7. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

well as for balance just make 3 archons have the high be like irt was in the original the dark be like it was in the original and the twilight a combo of the 2 and if you don't want 3 archons .. im sorry cant do much for you on that one your opinion your problem i spose... and if your concerned with balance because of the number of archons well it wouldn't really be unbalanced so stop whining theres this thing called population! it balances that quite nicely actually. and the game isent done yet so they could add more units to the other sides to balance the unit count. I just very strongly disagree with disposing such core elements of the protoss lore.

8. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

Fenix was not "whining". He was presenting an alternate option. And it was a very valid one. Please refrain from making assumptions about other people on the forums. You have the right to your opinion, please do not debase others'.

Now, as for the actual topic, I just want to point out something from the site for you guys.

Blizzard never says that a Twilight Archon necessarily has to be a fusing of the 'Light' and 'Dark' energies of the Protoss, that's just something that we assumed when we first heard about it. Blizzard doesn't intend it this way. It clearly says, both light/dark have the ability to make an archon. It never says they have to do it together. Reading on...

This is why it's possible for a Twilight Archon to be made from two HTs, two DTs, or a mix. Because you don't need people like Tassadar who 'study both'. The two halves of the Protoss race have been reunited- they're now the same. They're not split down the middle anymore, they're a whole, a combination of light and dark. It makes perfect sense lore-wise, and even more sense from a gameplay perspective.

Archons were pure 'light' energy. Dark Archons were pure 'dark' energy. But now that the two halves are reunited, there's no pure light or dark energy anymore. Only a mixture of both. Archons and Dark Archons can't be created anymore because the energy required for them doesn't exist. To still be able to make Archons or Dark Archons wouldn't make any sense.

To clarify, Blizzard never said that a Twilight Archon needed to be a combination of the two Templar chastes. They said that the Protoss were now a combination of the two energy types, and this had resulted in a new, more powerful Archon that was a cross between the two old ones.

I hope this clears matters up.

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Thank you, i would of told them that but i didnt feel like going all over the place lookin for facts and doin all that blasted typing.

10. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    wait wait wait, can you confinm this combo

DT + DT = Archon? and the templar thiggy..... sorry but i dont play protoss much, can you tell me the combinations again in sc1...

11. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

A DT and DT make a Dark Archon, the caster Archon.

A HT and another HT make a regular Archon, the warrior Archon.

12. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    oh, ok, i just played toss while i was out and i found out that massing archons was kewl.....
    about numbers 1 to 6 of my keyboard was filled with archons

13. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Lol, That would be tough to beat without major Science vessel support. And I mean MAJOR.

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    temp of the number of zealots he should of had as well Archons are 100 minerals and 300 gas now times that by 72 and thats alot of left over minerals.....(assuming he didnt cheat of course)

15. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    nope, didnt cheat, i just defended and expanded, after waves of forces alomst crippling my defense, i survived, and sent out my troops, I PWND THEM ALL.

but will twilight archon have abilities as well? and will it have malestorm?

16. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It had feedback as of Blizzcon. It probably changed a bit now.

But if I were you I wouldn't mass archons. It's extremely resource intensive and spamming was never the way to go in Starcraft, especially for Protoss.

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    yea, i guess so, protoss was never good for massing, but when they do, PWND!
    so will the DT and HT be more expensive than the ones on sc1?
    and only feedback was shown? or did they release a vid with malestorm?

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It wasn't shown in a video or anything, but they did announce that they were giving it feedback. Don't know about maelstrom though. It might be in the current build.

19. Rex

Rex New Member

I assume that Blizzard has got this idea from the hero Archon Zeratul/Tassadar, and if you ask them, they would say the Templars have learned the trick or adapted (Became one) or learned about each other's energies and how they work, and how to meld them together. :D I'm just guessing but its a good question.

20. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

yes your right i apologize about any negative comments