1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

How Twilight Archons are built

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by silentmage, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

power is not the same as damage

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Then what do you mean by power?

3. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    i think he means health\shield

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

3 times as powerful means when you have 1 TA, it's effect on the game is comparable to when you have 3 archons

5. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    That's a relatively huge impact considering it's just one unit.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

indeed, so the special merging building would need to cost a great deal of time and resource and require high tech. the merging process itself would also be costly in terms of time and resources.

7. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    archons were powerful to begin with, 1=3 is just crazy

8. Gold

Gold New Member

well there gonna make it weaker over all.
    but most importantly its got to take a role in the protoss army that has been acounted for yet.
    which is a hard one.
    i imagine it will be alot like a druid from warcraft3, its primary thing will be as a combat unit, with supporting spells that help the rest of the army (like the high templar is already the main spell caster so it will ahve stronger more spells, or maybe the other way around, maybe the twighlight archon will be a way of acessing the most agressive portoss spells. )
    but thats really where the similarities with the druid end, since i imagine it to be alot more expensive.
    It may even act as a kind of meat, i dont really know since i wasnt at blizzcon.

9. Ych

Ych New Member

In the latest batch of Q/A from Karune, he talked about the Twilight Archons.

2) Will the Twilight Archon have abilities?

Yes. In the BlizzCon build, the Twilight Archon had the feedback ability. We are still doing much work on this unit, so none of this is final.

That means that the Twilight Archon is still been played around. I think that there is still some possibilty that different combination results in different types of Archons. If not, I expect the Twilight Archon to be a lot different at release then what it is currently known at the moment.

10. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

I hope Archons become more flexible against enemy fliers.

11. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

OK the problem i have and i havnt seen anyone explain this but please forgive me if im wrong or whatever but from my understanding the twilight achon is the combanation of a HT and a DT the fact that you can make one with 2 HT or 2 DT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENCE!!! i love the unit and its idea. but the fact that you can use 2 of one side to make a combination of the sides is WRONG! so from a game mechanics stand point the simpe way to fix this is to add the original 2 archons back into the game even if they for some reason remove mindcontrol even if they dont explain it it would be better in my mind than the development of a twilight archon with 2 of oneside of the psionic powers.

i mean seriously maybe the terrans installed a block of some kind after learning about the mind control and maybe the zerg are immune to it with in a range of the overlords anything but this whole thing with 2 dt or ht making a twilight archon feels wrong and is wrong no matter how you look at it and i hate to see facts of the universe suffer over a little extra work casue we all know blizzard isent scared of work so they may fix this i hope!

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think its sucky too, and i think the idea of getting a powerfull unit from the combination of The "dark" and the "Light" (high) Was a very nice adition.

Edit: got 40 !

13. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

I have to agree that it is very stupid being able to combine a dark templar with a dark templar and a high templar with a high templar to make a twilight archon... To me there is no reasonable exsplonation of this and I have analogy/parable or what ever my story is.

Combining two dark templar to make a twilight archon is like adding darkness to darkness and getting a dull light... Combining two high templar (two light) and getting a twilight archon (dull light)... The only reasonable compromise would be one of each which already exists so they should just stick with that... In my opinion.

Comments?

14. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

I say that we get rid of both archons but make the twilight archon be able to attack and have some abilities like the dark archon

15. Pure Vengeance

...That's what the twilight archon is... It is a mixture of both so doesn't it make sence you would need both energy to make it? (high temp + dark temp)

16. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Well, as I just remember, Tassadar had mastered Dark Powers to ultimately kill Overmind. Truly, High Templar and Dark Templar doesn't differ as that much - ways of fight are just bound with their traditions, but they are still capable to understand ways of the other (they only have to want it). Protoss were united in the end... and shared their energies in the name of Protoss survival.

17. Pure Vengeance

If that were the case why didn't high templars stealth and dark templars use psi...?

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Tradition and pride, perhaps.

19. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Thanks Gasmaskguy :)

20. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

yeah tassadar was by no means a "master of both he was master of the "light" and maybe a quick study in the "dark" he was damn good with the DT powers but he was no master thaqt takes years and years and as far as i know he was had only been studying DT powers for maybe 3 years ? I will say he was damn good thou. however using that as the reason a HT and a DT is really grasping at straws because how many of these templars are really going to study and master both sides? and correct me if im wrong but only two "masters" can merge to become an archon right ?

I can see them studing both dont get me wrong but they are prolly only going to master one in the time since they fled auir