1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to counter mid game tanks?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by JONHOVA, Apr 10, 2009.

How to counter mid game tanks?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by JONHOVA, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    ... But the cluttered tanks would do lots of friendly fire. And if you would let another pop out on the other side, they can only hit one of them with the full force. - Pretty crappy, I know. Little Aurora just likes to experiment with weird tactics.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why drop a Nydus Worm from an Overseer instead of Zerglings, one at a time, from an Overlord? My alternative sounds both cheaper and more destructive.
    So no - I don't think worms counter tanks very well. :p

3. JONHOVA

JONHOVA New Member

OVERMIND
    @Simbob

I don't think they would add that to the tank. It's really not necessary since if you don't want them to splash each other Terran can still just unsiege them.

@Jon

Starcraft 2 is definetely going to require a more mixed army from the looks of it. And i mean on BOTH sides. A Terran wouldnt let his tanks get raped by muta, he would use marines to anti air. The gas in this theory-build is getting spent on tanks and leftovers minerals on marines like SK terran build except tanks in place of vessels. Shoot that build might even get more muddled with air drop/heal support from the medivac! LOL these theory builds make me want to get my hands on the damn game!

The Swarm Guardian getting buffed with broodlings is going to def increase their use i think. I do hope they make them a bit faster than the air snails they are now though. I hope there wont be wasted units in sc2 like scouts/queens (prejaedong)/ devourers etc.

@GMG

HAHA zergling bomb them!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    JONHOVA don't double/triple post there is an edit button for a reason, also try to avoid quoting more than you type as well as quoting the person above you.

Anyways like I said earlier, unless you have a really high Marine/Tank ratio Mutalisks should be a strong counter simply because the Tanks can't hit them and the Marines should be outunned assuming both players spent a similar amount of resources because the Terran player would have wasted resources on Tanks while the Zerg player could focus entirely on Mutalisks. And assuming the Marine/Tank ratio is really high a combination of Mutas, Overlords, and Banelings should be effective because a couple of Banelings can take out a lot of marines and damage the Tanks while the Mutas clean up the Tanks once the Marines are gone.

5. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Massively
    Insane
    Control
    Rape
    Orders

MICRO!

Tanks, I believe is Tier 3. As Zerg, using map control, you should have 1-3 more bases, and you should have Ultralisks by the time they acquire a significant amount of tanks. Use Ultralisks to absorb fire, and mass Zerglings.

Also, if you can utilize Mutalisk properly, micro the marines.

And, if you are July, rape the Terran's base with 100 Zerglings.

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ok, this is something I've simply never understood. If Mutalisks have a range of about three, and Marines have a range of about five, how on Earth can the Mutalisks be microed against them? For the Mutalisks to be able to attack, the Marines have to be able to attack, meaning that any hitting-and-running or attacking on the move would be useless, so how can it be done?

7. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    You move in, attack once, and move out.
    This is due to the high attack wait of the Mutalisk.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Marines would still get the first and last shot each time, and, coupled with Stim Packs and Medics, they'll be able to fire even faster as well as be healed between each run. On top of that, while all this is going on, Siege Tanks are still shelling your base.

9. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Tank require the Factory with an Tech lab to be built, they are exactly in the same spot on the tech tree as they were in SC1(2-2.5), while Ultras are also exactly in the same spot on the tech tree as they were in SC (3-3.5).

@ Itza

what Arvendragon said, also added to the fact that the Mutas are usually stacked, making it hard to FF on just one of them since they move back after they attack, so the enemy forces their Marines to move back to the tanks so they wont separate which would be the death of them, which in turn case them to lose their target so when the Mutas come back to fire again the enemy have to click on the stacked mutas to attack and, more often than not, accentently(even at the Pro levels) pick a different Muta, so the enemy would lose Marines while the Mutas would only lose health which they are always regaining.

10. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    And, more marines will be able to fire if not microed.
    you get out of range of most of the marines as you wait for the attack to charge.

11. JONHOVA

JONHOVA New Member

OVERMIND
    @lurkers_lurk

You got it right on the head. Mutas when stacked cant be focused fired. The main thing is every volley takes out a guaranteed marine after you have 6 stacked and since the Terran isnt killing any of your Mutas you can pwn them for free.

@Arvendragon

Lol. I'm more afraid of Savior coming to destroy everyone in 2009.
    I like your def of micro=rape!
    @LordKerwyn

My bad i couldn't figure out how to quote someone from a previous page? If you know share the knowledge.

12. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    if the terran is going tank/marine, why not usea few infestors? They can move while burrowed and cast abilities while burrowed. So, you could start start picking off the marines with Disease, and if he tried to move back, send the mutas to try and pick off a few tanks.

Yes its a later tech stra, but the zerg needed tech vs. terrans in sc1 too. If you watch pro games, whenever the zerg fot stuck in T2, they almost always lost.

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    sorry Eon, but Disease is no longer in the game. the Infester has Fungal Scourge ,which infests a single non-massive unit, causing it to take damage until it dies explosively (causing splash damage to nearby units), Neural Parasite, which controls an enemy unit for 10 seconds, and finally Spawn Infested Marines, which lays 5 eggs that quickly hatch into Infested Terrans. Out of those I would say that Fungal Scourge and Neural Parasite are good to use do to the splash damage they could do(Neural Parasite = controls an enemy which makes the tanks fire on it causing the enemy to lose at least the unit you took control of.) and Spawn Infested Marines is decent i guess for getting fast reinforcements.

14. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    Lurkers stopped everything until the Terran got Tanks so...
    The only Zerg strategy before was to Dark Swarm the tanks, or mass Guardians.
    Cracklings should be effective too, as Medivac Dropships are not as effective as Medics, or so I hear.

15. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Medivac dropships are about as effective as two medics going by what I've heard most recently, but they can still only heal one unit at a time so it would be a lot harder to heal a large group of infantry simultaneously since you'd need a lot of dropships.

16. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

I like using queens against tanks. They have awesome range and the one hit kill is awesome. Too bad SC2 won't have that ability.

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

SO i was reading this post from school and came to the conclusion zerg seem to be in serious troble vs mid game tanks. massing lower tier units just doesnt seem like its going to work, Every unit gets one shotted and if its not one shotted its near dead and M/M/R's can handle the left overs easly.

Air seems like a logical tactic but given a Tank pusing terren player there will be missle turrents and the NEW THOR! a floating building to eliminate line of sight issues and the 10 range of a thor is going to make mass mutas seem like a waste of time and one hell of a nightmare.(micro will seems to hard if-not hopeless and even guardians arnt going to work out since a thor out ranges them too, and the terren might get vikings by this time if he scanned you once or twice, hell i would)

I just dont see this panning out well for zerg. Tanks+thors can handle heavy armored units and marines and reapers can handle ground and there still going to be missile turrents along with bunkers. I just dont see zerg making sound combacks to this. I mean a Nydus worm might counter this given tanks and thor arnt moble and M/M/R arnt enough to stop early and mid zerg tier units when massed and microed currectly.

On paper it looks in the terrans favor but i guess it boils down to game play. if you scout enough and harrass enough maybe you'll be lucky enough to force a change in game play or makem leave before mid tier units are even reached.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Sounds like the Zerg are going to be a pain in the neck no matter what race ur fighting

=[
    that suks

19. Ych

Ych New Member

A properly executed Tank push is indeed, hard to stop. In SC1, I tend to go Mutas, then tech straight for Guardians. While I'm doing that, I harrass the Terran with my Zerglings/Mutas and pick off weak spots in their base.

Against a Terran player, you MUST HAVE MAP CONTROL. The Terran player is always trying to go for the knock-out punch. Try to delay it. Use your speed to your advantage because Terran army moves very slow. Ambush the Terran when they are not ready. Never attack the Terran play head-on if he has already established his position. Deny his position and delay his push while you tech up to the necessary counters and build up enough units to take out his push.

In SC2, burrowing will be a lot more useful because of mass selection. Burrow units at key positions to see when the Terran is making a move. Burrow some Banelings to ambush the incoming Terran army. While doing that, expand, expand, expand. Tech to Brood Lord. Once Brood Lord is out, you can say GG Tank push. Broodlings will tear apart Siege Tanks if they don't unsiege themselves.

There really isn't a definite answer in countering a properly executed Tank push. Because a properly executed Tank push is basically GG for you. But executing one is not an easy task and can be denied. It's all about denying their positions and harassing the Terran player's weak point before they amass themselfs one. Remember, Terran army is very slow compared to the Zerg and Protoss. Use your speed to your advantage and attack their weak points before the Terran gets into position and knock you out.