1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you plan on countering zealots?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Sep 22, 2007.

How do you plan on countering zealots?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yes, zergs are very gas hungary, that's why they need to have more expansions to fight the terran and protoss on equal terms, they expand not that much for the minerals, but mainly for the gas. unless they are doing the famous hydra mass. i remeber one game were the zerg did quick mineral only 3rd expansion, then massed hydra and totally owned tossgirl's m&m + tank + sv stardard tvz that's supposed to own hydras... lol that was such a rapage

2. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I've always liked Marines+Meds+Stimpacks+Focus fire. Just gotta shift right click the lots to que up targets and watch your stim pack usage. Since bats become useless so quickly, I prefer to save the gas to get my tanks up ASAP. Not that I wouldn't build 2-3 bats, but I don't feel they are THAT necessary.

I assume the battle shield will be quick to obtain too.

Do we know if the zealot charge is something they come with or needs to be upgraded at a tech building?

3. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    You know how I plan on countering zealots? battlecruisers. Lawl.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Plasma torpedoes HELLS YEAH

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

nah plasma torpedo would be shit against zealots because they could simply charge out of the way, sustaining little damage in the process

6. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i believe that charge is an ability that only activates when they are about to attack or gets attack by ground units.
    correct me if im wrong.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

not going to correct you, cuz you're not wrong :p

Anywhoo, i still think vikings + tanks or marines with medics should be enough, i mean, marines will have the 15hp early enough, and when massed they should hold their own early on, and later on, a few tanks will do the job.

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yeah i would gather marines, medics, vikings, tanks, and banshee, but by then the enemy would most likely change tatics.

9. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Immortals + stalkers + zealots + colossus sounds a like a nasty combo in a good players hands.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Too bad the Colossus is way higher up on the tech tree than all the others, so it'll only be a late-game combo.

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

how high is it ? Gateway > cyber > robo faci > colossus?

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Really? I thought it was much higher than that. Guess I was wrong.

13. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

no it's actually gateway > cyber core> robo facility > robo support bay > colossus, exactly the same as reaver

14. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

well, thats not very late game then.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Why does this conversation continue to go in a loop?

The idea with a tier 1 unit (Zealot, lings, marines) is to have a direct counter for the unit. You're not supposed to have a round-about way to taking the unit out. There is supposed to be a specific unit (typically tiered higher than the victim unit) that completely counters that unit's abilities in just about every way. That was what the Firebat was to the Zealot and Zergling. It was overly specialized at killing just those units, pretty much. It wasn't much good for anything else and therefore was tossed to the wayside between Tier 1 and 3, sometimes to be revived in late-game as a counter to later-game Zealots and Dark Swarm.

Talking about the new Zealot as being countered by a number of different units in combinations defeats the purpose of "countering" the Zealot. Of course any number of higher-tech units en masse will defeat Zealots, but you've taken on a moot point. Your opponent didn't have to tech at all, and yet you had to tech up a large number of units to counter a basic strategy. If he's been teching at the same time you could very well be finished.

Thus, enter the Reaper with Flamethrower attack. It fills the Firebat's niche. I need not say more as I've talked about it hundreds of times.

16. Overling

Overling New Member

I have an idea! Since the debate seems like is going in a loop, and entering complicated matters, I have a simple solution for it:

The "shield upgrades" + medics. Since spread damage don't kill units instantly, having more HPs makes it easier for the medics to keep the marines alive, and making up to their smaller HP. Since Zealots can't focus-fire, marines focusing them will take each zealot out faster, decreasing the damage intake of the terran faster than the opposite. This way I suppose M&Ms beat Zealots. The ones in the trailers hadn't medics.

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes but it's likely that this upgrade wouldn't be tier 1, which still won't help the Terran anti-melee cause.

It also won't be effective in situations that might involve an ability such as Dark Swarm.

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Hmm, why not? I think it should be an upgrade just like range upgrade, and so I don't suppose it would be too OP to have it in Tier 1. Just put it in the Engineering bay and it will be fine! ^^ (Engineering bay was next to barracks, in terran tech-tree of Blizzcon that leaked on the net)

And about the Dark-swarm, perhaps it's been redone. Anyway, banshees could hit inside DS now. Even though they are high tier units, DS is also...

19. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Aren't reapers who jump up and down cliffs strong enough already to kill zealots if the zealots try to attack them?

And once the zealots get charge, you get siege tanks.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I am not sure but hopping up a clif would give them an advantage