1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you plan on countering zealots?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Sep 22, 2007.

How do you plan on countering zealots?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

For early, mid, and late game, both on base defence and in the field, Vikings + good micro may prove to be the best counter to Zealots. Vikings can fire on zealots and go airborne when zealots close in, fly around back, land and continue firing. Wash, rinse and repeat. It might be more difficult as another poster mentioned when you face a mix of zealots stalkers and colosessess (collossi?). Vikings can fly in, take out the collossi with one or two volleys, land and hammer the zealots. Unfortunately they would take fire from the stalkers initially which appear to be a good counter for vikings.

In late game banshees would be a very good counter. I would always use siege tanks for the psychological value if nothing else.

Upgradeable bunkers is a great idea, especially if it was a visual upgrade.

2. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

every body loves visual upgrades, they look cool, and i like your vikings idea. why i didnt think about that possibility beats me.

3. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

oh by the way . the firebat is apparently back for testing.

4. WuHT

WuHT New Member

awesome. Source ?

5. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

wooot go firebats. but basicly my ole bunker with seige tanks in the back strategy always worked. of course now with the new units. maybe some vikings and air units to deal extra damage. of course a scv to repair the bunkers always helps lol.

6. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

q & a batch 15 apparently..

7. Overling

Overling New Member

Dang! Ok, so I'll just stick with the focusing fire part. ;D

Stalkers still do more damage to armored units, and by picking Vikings you would still make it more attractive for the Toss to get Stalkers. ;) The rest of the post I'll leave alike (or until someone corrects another part of it :eek:)

8. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    vikings would be a great way to counter zealots, i think that by the time the protoss are able to get charge the vikings can have transform, and as soon as the zealots charge the vikings can transform and attack from a different place.

9. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

what if zealots use the charge ability to hurry up and catch the vikings while there transforming.... thats why u always have marines as fodder for you stronger units lol.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    The vikings only take at longest 1 second to transform. Not enough time to kill them with mere zealots at all.

11. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    The whole point of using vikings is to make the zealots waste their charge, since that is what makes them dangerous now. Also the cobra's ability to attack while retreating would be effective as well.

12. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Zealots can use their charge pretty much all the time, so it's not exactly a waste.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I believe the charge ability has a cooldown.

Also, the issue here is that there is no specific unit that fills the niche of anti-infantry in general. An anti-infantry unit would usually be some type of AoE attack, either melee or ranged.

The Firebat perfectly filled this specialty, but in fact, was too specialized and was therefore obsolete once Tier 2 had rolled around.

The Reaper is the perfect solution to the problem with a flamethrower attack.

14. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Personally I wouldn't use marines specifically for "fodder" if it's at all avoidable, it wastes resources. If you use good micro on the vikings the zealots won't get near. Of course we don't know the effective range of vikings yet so this may change a bit.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

medics are the best fodder, they heal each other and "never" die... arg

16. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think marines + vikings + tanks in superior numbers.

We really dont have a good counter for zealots currently or masses of zerglings for that matter, i would like to see my firebat back....or give the reaper a hp/flamethrower upgrade.

17. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Now that the firebat is possibly returning to the final game, any new opinions about this subject?

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yeah firebats pwn zealots. go go firebats

f&m > all melee infantry. i once made a map with 8 medics in the center surronded by 12 3/3 upgraded firebats surronded by 800 zerglings and the firebats won, just before the medics ran out of energy

19. Inpox

Inpox New Member

yup yup. in SC1 he medics was extremely useful in cases where enemies couldn't one shot your troops

and just how the heck could your comp handle 820 units on a single map!!??

(i don't know if mine can because i have never tried lol)

anyway i believe blizzard will have the firebats in the final product (their flame animation is going to look soooo sweet!!) and it will be really great for currently terrans don't have any front line units

20. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

I'd beleive those few fire bats killing all of those lings. I played SC1 on Sunday with my friend and we were both zerg (we are usually protoss/mostly terran) but when ever I actualy amassed zerglings with other units behindmy army died from only a few firebats.

*PS: zerg suck in SC1 if they don't get vespene gas quick* Lings just don't cut it later on...