1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guardian Landing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by TidalSpiral, Jul 31, 2007.

Guardian Landing

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by TidalSpiral, Jul 31, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

you know what the best way to balance this is? Dont have guardians land at all.

2. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea, way too imbalenced. I hope gaurds still make it to sc2 though, but with a better name.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

how about making the guardians land but are not able to attack and will move(glide) 2x slower on land.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

See, when he first mentioned the "Landing" thing, I immediately though of Gargoyles from WC3. Not good.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

hmm, i didnt make that connection. i just thought imbalanced as soon as i read it.

6. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Well maybe they could add landing as a last-ditch escape attempt - the Guardian will camouflage with the ground so that it could wait for reinforcements in a botched attack or defensive struggle. Of course, detector units would render this ability useless, but it would be worth saving the occasional Guardian from destruction.

*Side Note - I am now a Recruit. YAY!*

7. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

The only reason anybody would ever use that is to escape a group of marauding air-to-air attackers. In SC2, so far we have not seen a single air-to-air attacking unit. Phoenixes, Warp Rays, Motherships, Battlecruisers, Vikings, and Mutalisks (Probably) can all attack both air and ground.

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

well, vikings are A2A in air mode, and the gaurdian can avoid them, considering the viking has a switching animation. It would be dumb but hey, it would work. Just saying.

9. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

Lol, I can imagine. A viking - Guardian fight in which they both keep switching between modes...

Shortly before a Mothership flies in and black-holes both of them. Mwahahaha!

10. burkid

burkid New Member

in which case they both land and avoid it.

11. DontHate

DontHate New Member

and then i guess the viking dies.

12. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

why would it even land to destroy a turret? They could do it just as safely from teh air.

13. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    On a side note, how would the guardians attack from the ground anyways if they lob acid. At best when on the ground they could spill some acid all over the ground and hope it hurts something, but besides that the guardian can't do much.

Landing would also deminish the role of the already hurting devourer, too.

14. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yea, I'm not too big a fan of the landing guardian idea. It would just seem like a really awkward move on the Guardians part, especially when they come across so well as "bombers." It'd be weird to see them on the ground shooting like an artillery cannon IMO.

15. Ghost

Ghost New Member

So basically a zerg viking?

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I am definatly a no. Then I started thinking about why there are air to air in the first place. Missle turrents shoot missles... Why can't they just shoot ground units with splash damage like with siege tanks, and just like what marine power said about devours. Something to think about...0.o

17. burkid

burkid New Member

two reasons: balance and its a game.

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I don't think its all that bad an idea and should definitely not be attacked so.

That adds an interesting twist to an old unit, just like the zealots having their new charging abillity.

I actually like this idea. I'm wondering about how the attack would be different, because I would assume you should change the range. You can't give them the same range as they would have in the air in my opinion.

Maybe it could be something like them firing only at the ground while in the air and only at the air while on the ground.

This has interesting possibilities. :thumbup:

19. slugonice

slugonice New Member

TOO Imba

20. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    I'd like to point out how much anti-zerg has already been built into the terrans. the banshee alone cancels out a ground type guardian unit. in fact the banshee is going to be my most hated unit when the game is released. I still have to figured out how i'm going to counter it as a zerg with the current set of units other than being forced to build both a hydralisk den and a spire, which is not a strategy i typically use. that within itself is a detriment to zerg let alone the terran units new abilities. let's not forget the viking which will just own guardians. here's to hoping the viking range has been decreased.