1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Shall the Reaver stay ingame?

1. No, only in the editor

50.0%
  2. Yes, and remove the Collosus

2.0%
  3. Yes, and let the Collosus stay. Two are better then one!

40.0%
  4. I hate the reaver, remove it forever

8.0%

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    For those confused as to why they removed the Reaver, maybe this will ease your pain.

Reavers were slow but extremely effective killers, but due to their slowness people only used them with Drops primarily, and even this was not very hard to counter.
    Now with the new technologies in Starcraft the Reaver is out classed even by the smaller units as they can teleport and jump over cliffs thus rendering the Reaver useless in combat since it wouldn't be able to actually hit a target that can; for example transform and fly into the air.

Now with the introduction to the Colosuss it serves the same purpose but goes about it in a different manor using powerful energy beams that cut through units like an Ultralisk running through a bush.
    Now when you compared the Colossus and Reaver you can see one thing the Reaver didn't have, which was mobility. But the Colossus has a greater mobile than a lot of units with its ability to climbs over armies, buildings and cliffs.
    Now in a battle situation, the Reaver would now be a sitting duck as it is so slow and compared to the Colossus it is pretty much out classed in this aspect as the Colossus is faster and can retreat if necessary.

Colossus vs Reaver?
    Who knows who would win but the Reaver seemed better at handling groups of small units wish its large splash radius and even fast units as it's attack homed in on their positions not matter where. Now pit the Colossus against the Reaver, what do we already see wrong? the fact that The Colossus can hit from any direction as it climbs cliffs. This allows the Colossus to attack while evading the attack of the Reaver thus ending the Reaver's place in the Protoss army.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Also on the topic of reavers as artillery the Warp ray replaces it there by being more mobile due to flight and being able to siege ships. It can also continue to attack buildings even if they take off whereas a Terran player could escape reavers by lifting their buildings

3. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

The reaver could be useful against slow moving units like thors or stationed siege tanks, though.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Colossus is more useful as it can climb cliffs for quicker escape if more siege comes in, also the Tanks range is increased so a Reaver would get owned.

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    You are right, and you changed my opinion. The reaver should only stay in the editor, and not in the game. And an other advantage is that you don't have to build scarabs..

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Thats always a plus. I always hated having to pay for ammo

Fear the Colossus Drop

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Lol Actually it will look funny, how phase prisms transform the colossus to energy form.. I hope it won't take long.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I don't want the Colossus to be portable like that. Only warp in.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    WARP IN?! Oh HELL NO!

I Don't want warp in on colossi because then the other player could drop 3 or 4 right on my forces and I would die real fast. Remember Warp-in is fast, transports are slow and vulnerable. Please for God's sake use the latter method for bringing colossi to the field

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You're right. I wasn't thinking.

11. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Colossus is a Robotics Facility unit, so it can't be built with warp-in.

Really, the optimal method for getting a Colossus to an enemy base is with the good 'ol "Move" command. It's not as if the thing isn't almost an air unit already. Next to that, the Phase Prism is fine.
    You can fit two Colossi into one Prism, so why not? If you're dropping, it's already assumed that you're willing or able to deal with whatever air defense they might have.

12. Justicator

Justicator New Member

My last word over the Reaver

The Reaver is one of my favourite units in Starcraft and in Starcraft2 is even more beautiful.
    As first of all I want say that I am the opinion that the Reaver and the Colossus itself not overlapped.
    As the first view it really seems itself it overlapped,but as tactics and use as also as strategic arsenal they are very different. As the first view I want to say that the Reaver as Assault nearly like the Colossus + Warp Ray is, or that the Colossus like the Reaver a Worker killer is ,but for these theories I have an answer and in addition a large "HOWEVER".

1. For Assault is the Reaver the heavy artillery and not the superfighter that crash directly in the battlefield purely (Colossus + warp ray) , thus I want to say that the Reaver its criteria as artillery keeping ,because it of safe distance attacks.
    Bombard and whereupon strike are different tactics .-Also with whereupon strike I want to say that the combinations with the Colossus or Reaver are for other goals.It is Starcraft 2 where old tactics with new competes themselves or even also combines.(As whereupon strike (as tactic) are in the first artwork -clip where the Protoss is attacking the Terrans).
    There one can see perfect that the Immortals take down the Siege Tank damage where the Zealots without problem with charge in hissing whereby the Colossus its task as a heavy supporting unit keep.Also the tactic selecting over units in Starcraft 2 does not overlapped.I want to say that the Immortal so a kind middle supporting unit, defense crushers or bait is.Everything began(I think) when the role of the Dragoons into 3 one split.The Immortal got its historical note and a few tactics over support (defense crushers and bait are new and not from the Dragooner).The Stalker got the role as anti-air and got the note as Dark Dragoon, whereby it is like mobile as the old (move intelligent: -100) Dragoon.And in such a way the Colossus received the head support task for the Zealots and........
    The Colossus became more mobile than the Stalker and even more robust,but it had disadvantage as the Immortal - they are useless against air.(In such a way we get a mini balance circle over three units, which corresponds as in Starcraft1).(I speak about the cycle of Dragoon Zealot and Photoncannon).So I want to say that itself the roles about Heavy or medium itself not overlapped ,they remain differently as the Zerg (medium Assault Fighter,, heavy ...) (but in completely different aspect).

2.For worker killers are suitable the Colossus and the Reaver.But bonus has the Colossus with its mobility.Thus one can do the worker in 3 manoeuvre aspects attacking.
    -The first aspect is the normal one (in Starcraft2) the attack with the Colossus.
    -The second aspect is with phase Prism and Dark Templar -warp in (as elegant aspect).
    -The third aspect is with phase Prism and Reaver drop.
    And in such a way again the number 3 comes in the play, the ultimate number which serves momentarily for balance in the Starcraft the universe.With these three kinds of worker attack one has the choice to play „strategically“.Thus if the enemy does not have defense in his outguard,you can normally with Colossus march in here without you the minerals on warp in and other tactics to waste.Is the enemy in a strategic defense you breaks her with warp in Dark Templar.And is the enemy in other situations it will not await the Reaver drop and then begins the show............
    And so one has again a small circulation system where we see the logic behind nonsense.
    I want to say a large "however" here :
    For the Terrans is the Reaper perfect as worker killer but I want to say,that he is a base raider-and have more synthetic functions has.

If we more deepen in the topic Reaver and Colossus we get the perfect answer:(the Reaver and Colossus are so alike that they are also so different and also operates around.......

Colossus and Reaver are alike because:
    -full robotics units
    -have large GTG damage
    -are useless againts air
    -very much liked units

Colossus and Reaver are different because:
    -the Colossus is faster and more mobile than the Reaver
    -all two units have different attacks
    -the one is splash and homing (strong against fast units)
    -the other one is with a completely new system that are weak against fast units.
    (for example the thermal lance must hunt the fast unit, where we find a weak place to the Colossus as with the Thor where the best counter is the Cobra or a fast unit)
    -the Colossus is a more high target than the Reaver (fom air aspect and missile turret aspect)

Problems that endangers my small theory:
    -one of the problems is that the Colossus a new kind attack has and that's endangers my theory ,not only my but also the theory about the number 3.
    -the other problem is that a Phase Prism can carry two Colossus(the problem is usually at the strategic system)it would be better when a Phase Prism can carry one Colossus (thus a small reform over unit size)
    -another problems that endangers my theory with 15% is the new structure with tier 1.5

Summary:
    -the Colossus is good vs. small and medium,and the Reaver vs. medium and large.
    -I do not understand which the people disturb if the Reaver remain, yes i am also angry if I am Zerg
    and a Reaver with intergalactic powers destroy my army ,but there are exist counter or not?(that was meant sarcastically)
    - the head offensive role of the Reaver got the Colossus,but the Reaver is a very good Defence unit ,and even one of the best assault crushers!The Reaver is slowly however it pays itself out for artillery or to mostly for defensive,except that the nerve-killing build Scarab are automated and that makes the Reaver more useful.(Immortal + Reaver are for protoss the one of the best combination for assault crushers)
    - the Reaver is the contrary of the Siege tank (siege mode) by the terrans

Siege tank(normal mode)<=>Immortal
    Siege tank(siege mode)<=>Reaver
    Thor<=>Colossus

The choice and the destiny of the Reaver are in your hand.

Bonus 200 minerals for a great post

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Good post, even thought i dont agree with everything you say...

14. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

collosus shouldnt be transportable, but instead be able to walk across walter, (Not on but in) so they can be a large uncarryable unti

15. LxMike

LxMike New Member

my question is a bit off topic, but the phase prisme transfert matter into energie, so it can pick up thors, OMG thor drop , that will wipe out a base in 2 VS 2 games

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Thor isnt a protoss unit, so i doubt it will (because it picks up energy, not metal parts!

17. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

well, i can see some advantages with the Colossus and some disadvantages from the Colossus. I'd say leave the Reaver in the editor though

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol is the Colossus not made out of some kind of metal element?

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I answered the above post...

20. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

BLIZZARD................ WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME

i shall miss the reaver and its highly explosive and expensive ammo