Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Shall the Reaver stay ingame?

1. No, only in the editor

50.0%
  2. Yes, and remove the Collosus

2.0%
  3. Yes, and let the Collosus stay. Two are better then one!

40.0%
  4. I hate the reaver, remove it forever

8.0%

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Thanks Fenix, though that was what I was afraid of. I guess Colossi and Warp Rays will have to remain my future strategy. But back on topic:

If Blizzard has taken out units because of public outcry, as in the Soul Hunter and the Tempest, would a movement for the reaver's return have any hopes of being sucessful?

2. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

If the protoss had reavers as well as colossi, than the protoss would be able to kill pretty much anything with ease. And since reavers weren't supposed to be used as combat units in the first place (if memory serves), it would make sense that the protoss would retire them. So I’m going to have to cast my vote for the new units. Sorry reaver drop fans, your going to have to find a new way to annoy the hell out of every terran and zerg player on the face of the earth...

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Kill everything except air you mean.

4. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Can't the colossus hit air units? If it can't now, I bet it will in the future. Otherwise, I would think it would be difficult to find useful, with the terran moving toward a sky dominance strategy and all. Still, the colossus seems it will be much more useful against the zerg than the terran. It's no surprise people find it a bit underwhelming. And I also imagine it works a lot better in groups than alone. I've only seen it work in pairs thus far, and when did a pair of anything in Starcraft ever do much good? Maybe carriers, but even they could be swatted out of the sky unguarded...

5. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

well i think that the colossus should be able to hit air units, not as hard as it hits ground units of course, but i think that there are just so many ways of killing them that they deserve to fight back at some level, if they don´t attack air then at least for, they are underpowered, and a waste of money/time in late game fights.
    So how come thor which i think it has the longer range of all the units in sc, is able to hit air, and colossus isnt? maybe they could give the colossus some kind of air shield or some kind of ability to momentarly reduce the damage from air units

6. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Considering the Colossi are as high as air units, hence them being hit by Missile Turrets, I think they should be able to kill Air Units. I'll miss the Reaver though

7. Ych

Ych New Member

I think Blizzard intended to axe the Reavers because they kind of overlapped the Collossus.
    Collossus on the other hand, was much cooler then the Reavers so they decided to stick around with the Collossus.

But from that, it is clear that Protoss has no bombardment units. I think that is what Blizzard is playing around with in that only the Terrans master the art of bombardments. Protoss on the other hand, will make up for that from their more powerful units and with the introduction to the stasis orb, which will be able to pick apart enemies in and out of battle.

The introduction to the stasis orb will be an interesting strength that the Protoss will recieve in SC2. They will be the masters of picking out enemies if they decided to flee. That and combined with the Stalkers blink and Zealots charge ability, you better expect to win an all out battle against the Protoss, otherwise, there is no chance for you to flee.

8. burkid

burkid New Member

is the stasis orbs slowing effect have splash on attack? that would make it more useful.
    and does it have any spells other than the passive slowing?

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

HAHAHAHAHA! damn i hated reaver drops back in the day. I'm glad thats all over. No more reavers but, no comes along this Big mofo the Collossus. i Shiver just thinking of them walking over my base defence right up to my miners and seting them a blaze

10. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

The whole point is Reavers were too restricted in use. It's not a matter of "goodness" of the unit, but the dinamics it will bring to the game. If we had only 2 types of units, even though they were state-of-the-art, it still wouldn't be as cool as diferent usages of units.

-Vultures were able to be used as support, as hit and run, as mine settlers, as base extension discoverers, and in T vs. T., as ruler of ground battles, as they were the only ones who didn't trigger spider mines, for beeing a hovering unit. Hovering should even be more explored aswell, a feature that only vultures had in SC1.

-Overlords were able to be used as detectors, as farms/supply, as transport, as tanks, as decoys, as beggining of the game enemy base discovering...

-Recall could be used either as saving injured units, or to drop a whole army inside enemy base if you throw a suicide Arbiter inside and recall your units there.

-Stasis field is meant to give you time to adapt your defenses to the threat, for your almost ready units be able to come, to split the enemy force and thus make it weaker, and to keep enemy interceptors trapped, unableing their carrier's outside the stasis field to build more or to defend themselves. >:)

As long as the unit has many possible uses and combinations it's good. The reaver could either remain on defense or be suicidally droped inside an enemy base. That's too restricted. We need units ith plenty possibilities, for that is what brings the fun in the game.

11. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

Colossi are much more expensive than reaver and we don't know for sure that they can be dropped in (although the walking up the back cliff of an enemy base DOES look awesome). Can they also take down buildings or are they just anti-infantry? I think there's enough of a difference to warrent the reavers. If not? Well... then we pretty much can just do the same thing with the colussus. I'm fine with that.

Also reaver drops were awesome. I pissed off so many good friends :)

12. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

They can't be droped, but they can be teleported. It's also said they have a huge anti-buildings dmg, and I suppose Warp Rays do the Reaver's job now with sieging buildings. The reaver's funtion has been redeployed into 2 new more dinamic units with more possibilities. I think comparing Colossus and Reaver is just been suggested as the art concept put them both toghether.

13. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea, i'd miss the reaver, but i would be more than happy to welcome the collosi. It's a good idea to take one away though, becuase they basicly are the same. Both very good against buildings and infantry, just collosus is tougher but has more drawbacks. Also, fyi, the vulture isn't hte only hovering unit. archons and templars hover.

14. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

in the new video of the terran, when they are in a mission, they fight against a couple of colossus and something else, i noticed that one of the thors that were in the battle was almost destroyed by the two colossus, that where incredibly outnumbered and overpowered, so i think they are a great replacement in therms of power, but of course, its a totally diferent unit so, lets hope that blizz creates a cool unit to replace reavers, AND dont forget the soul hunters too.

15. burkid

burkid New Member

vindicators FTW!

blizzard really needs to revise the protoss tech tree. its almost exactly the same as SC1'a tech tree.
    terrans is sweet though.

16. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

There's a new type of Reaver Drop...get a lot of Warp Gates, then rush your enemy (secretly) with 10 probes. Have them all bulid a pylon on the fringe of their base, and then when ready, warp in zealots and immortals into their base like no tomorrow.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes i agree. its too familiar and its boring. come on blizzard, this is tarcraft 2 already!
    just look at the terran, everything about them right now is MOSTLY NEW. protoss are suppose to be more advance in technology. why does the immortal dont have much detail on them, the attacks looks weak. the phoenix normal laser attack looks gay except for the overload. protoss still need new BIG units new BIG structures.

and burkid is this the vindicator? wow! i hope they do include this in the game and the size should be as big as an archon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10935468@N02/1004532655/in/set-72157601213606904/

18. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I think the templar/robots/air triad is a good enough dilema for the protoss. Now that there is a fine combat unit in the robots section, it's really a choice. It's way better than defending your base with reavers against air units that could take him out without much trouble. Not that Colossus can fight back either, but a much tougher unit was needed to defend the base along with the cannons, and as support for the basic units.

Take Immortal for example: it's a great unit to go on ahead and open way for High templars to work their psy storm on enemy defenses. The immortal goes on ahead, and while the siege-tanks hit it first, the HT slowly approaches and PS the tanks/whatever is besides them. Great team against terran blockades. The whole Protoss tech tree makes very much sense.

19. burkid

burkid New Member

@ zer, vindicator is the protoss unit in Ych9's avatar. it was gonna be in ghost and had a lightning gun.

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yah they make sense. but its too simple. their tech(protoss) should be the most advance and complicated, that goes for the structures and units.

Quote from: burkid on Yesterday at 03:46:09 PM
    @ zer, vindicator is the protoss unit in Ych9's avatar. it was gonna be in ghost and had a lightning.

ahh. so whats the units in the image? looks COOL to me. cooler than the zealots in fact. so i really hope its not only an artwork of a zealot, dt etc. and i hope they include this mysterious protoss unit in the game.

oppss sorry, double post.

Merged posts. Please read the forum rules and do not double post.