1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

?

Shall the Reaver stay ingame?

1. No, only in the editor

50.0%
  2. Yes, and remove the Collosus

2.0%
  3. Yes, and let the Collosus stay. Two are better then one!

40.0%
  4. I hate the reaver, remove it forever

8.0%

Goodbye Reaver?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kehmdaddy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Well, it doesn't even hit it's own units, so it was too OP. And the Reaver's flaws (frailty, and terrain dificulties) would make it , useless in a height shifting environment. If you made it tougher (higher HP), it would still be made inefective by skilled players, because its attacks could now be dodged. And Terran Siege hits its own units, Reaver's didn't. If it were freed of his problems,, it still would have to be nerfed somehow.

If you keep moving between platforms, who would stick with the reaver to keep it safe? It has to have more mobility. And mobility really wouldn't fit it's design of a caterpillar. I rather have it redone into Colossus, than see a reaver moving fast and climbing walls.

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

How is it OP? Siege Tank has a larger attack radius, not to mention the All-Powerful Nuke. The terrain thing could be solved with better AI and a Phase Prism. How could its attack be dodged by anything other than the Viking, Reaper, Colossus, and whatever Zerg unit?

In response to your second question, back it up with Colossi. That's it's role, support, not front-lining.

3. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

You forgot the Stalker, all air units, and Immortals with their special shield. ^^ If you can't hit invisible units, add the Dark Templar to it and you'll see that, specially with phase prism, scarabs have become anti-tier1 units such as marines, zealoths and zerglings, and useless in later game (when reaver would be available) with the new features. No higher unit should be scared of scarabs. Perhaps Siege tanks counter, but I suppose Siege-tanks can kill reavers faster than they kill them, since its an instant shot. What do you want reavers for, now?

4. burkid

burkid New Member

air units cant doge what cant attack them in the first place, and immortals wouldnt 'dodge' anything, their sheilds would absorb the shot to take minimal damage.

Colossi and reavers have seperate roles. reavers are heavy/long range assault, while colossi are heavy support.

edit: reavers can kill tanks as easily as tanks can kill them. and reavers do so much damage, large units are in the same danger as groups of small units are.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I want Reavers to counter M&M tactics. I want Reavers to counter Hydra rushes. I wand Reavers to kill Siege Tanks. I want Reavers to destroy entrenched base defense.

Anyways, if you're used to using Reavers, you can tech to them pretty damn fast, especially with the Protoss ability to have one Probe make 17 different things at once.

6. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Ok, so from what I get, you want reaver to fight Thor and banelings for instance? Is that it? Well, I do believe it would work very well. But reavers cannot do on their own to be heavy long range assault. And Colossi are also very long range: in the first demo it follows a ling till outside the screen. Reavers are Siege, and you're missing siege units for protoss, right?

So what if you pick mother-ship and carriers instead of Reavers? I never even used reavers without fighting masses of zerg enemies, because invisible stand-still zealoths and carriers could manage invaders even better, as their loss of interceptors is very low. And Interceptors can do very long range dmg aswell. If you ask me, I don't see much point in Colossus either, except for yet another unit occupying the same space without taking anybody's place to aid this little group I mentioned. Reavers were too large and too costy. In the end, for me at least, they were very underused.

I think Warp Rays do take their place very well in sieging strong long range units. And as for groups, an obstacle crossing scarab that doesn't do damage to his peers, would b too OP. But thats just my humble opinion. Just adding arguments to the discussion. :) I for once believe they're dismissable, but Blizzard will make the call...

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Banelings, hell yes. A Scarac would tear them about. Thor, maybe. I think the Thor would kill the Reaver first. Mothership and Carriers is a no-no. You always mix ground and air. A force of Carriers and Reavers owned pretty much anything.

Interceptors are long range, yes, but I'd rather shoot indestructible bombs that do 125 dmg splash. Not to mention that Interceptors take too long to kill buildings.

Try your invisible Zealots and Carriers with two Reavers backing them up against any attack. You'll see what I mean.

PS: Warp Rays suck against units except units like the Thor.

8. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Ahhh...I actually like Reavers, they are definitely a useful tool in the Protoss arsenal. Hopefully they might bring something out with relatively the same function.

I never liked Colossus too much...it seemed like its role would be outdone by its cost and I hope Blizz doesn't just assume that it can do everything the Reaver can.

9. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Preator, I know reaver on the front would be great help, but the point is they're too costy, as they spend minerals everytime they recharge. I keep this as primary basic defence, and use scouts to do hit and run raids across the map. BTW, a fast ship to take scout's place is what I would seriously miss. They could raid, escape even the Psy-storm, and come back to refuel shield in shield batteries. I think trading scouts+corsair for phoenixes is definitively a much worse change than taking out reavers.

And Warp rays do suck against low tier units, but interceptors, even though they take a bit longer, can still manage them fairly ok. The Zealot invisible barrier can keep them afar long enough to make up for it. ;-) I mentioned the Warp Rays as alternative for the slow destruction that interceptors do with structures. I sincerely hope Warp Rays can also increase speed when constantly moving, otherwise Protoss has lost its supreme air mobility. :-(

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Scouts just suck.. Right out. The only use they are is Wraith killing.

And 15 minerals is peasly. That's only two trips with a worker. For 125 splash, I would pay twice that (Not really, I'm just sayin'). I do however think their a tad overpriced due to their frailty.

11. burkid

burkid New Member

@ eye, you're saying reavers are too costly, when blizzard said that colossi will cost about twice as much as reavers

12. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

But just once you pay, not always ;-)

13. burkid

burkid New Member

...what? do you mean scarabs? 15 minerals for 125 splash at long range is worth it. and, unlike colossi, it cant be hit by anti-air.

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, but it's only 15 minerals. You'd need to buy a crapload more than that to do the same amount of damage with any other unit.

15. burkid

burkid New Member

oops my mistake, is it interceptors that are 25 then?

exactly, its a small bill for the most damage that can be done by any unit that isnt a suicide or spell. and, unlike spells, you dont have to worry about energy.

edit: fixed the price in above post

16. JuG

JuG New Member

i'm ganna miss those reaver drops :upset:

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

its not the in game value of the reaver why they got axed obviously. its the FEEL and LOOk of the reaver in starcraft 2. in gameplay its definitely useful but it will be BORING and NOT EXCITING if we get them back in starcraft 2. just check out the terran they are exciting because of new units plus NEW COOLE abilities of old terran units. if reaver with the same look and ability(only scarab) and same movement in starcraft 2, that would definitely suck. a new protoss units would be more fitting.

bye bye reavers. thanks for the cuteness and spash damage. ^^

18. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Well said Zeratu11, and I add that a diferent reaver wouldn't b a reaver. So if it has to be changed, let it be replaced at once. :)

19. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    To me, Colossus is just a waste of tech. I always said that in reality, a Twilight Archon can do so much more dmg, and is also resource friendly depending on your current eco situation, the only thing a Colossus has over Archon is going up stairs, which means its attacked by anti air and it is only useful against swarming units. To me Colossus is a poor replacement for Reaver if that is what Blizz is intending of doing.

20. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I think it's not a replacement for reaver, but rather an owning device for low tier units, as they can move out of reach of zealots and lings, can kill them one by one fairly fast, and outrange marines by moving to higher ground in which they cannot follow. That's it's role: to fight the masses in the field, unexposed, and give the protoss a little more dinamics than they had when relied on reaver for the masses. As for the reavers, they could only stay inside their base, or be sacrificed on a drop. Now the protoss forces can move to the front-lines.