1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goliaths...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, May 31, 2007.

Goliaths...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, May 31, 2007.

1. TEDurden

TEDurden New Member

The Terran need the Goliath to counter heavy air: you're not going to be able to do shit against a carrier fleet with anything else but a pretty decent group of Goliaths. So I'm guessing that Goliaths make it back, but this time as more of a counter to the warp ray unit; since they nerfed carriers to have no shield against air, air units will counter carriers (valkyrie fleet, anyone?)

2. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

not the biggest fan of goliaths, if anything for starcraft 2, make em a bit smaller.

3. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I wish they would give goliaths two huge gatling guns with high rate of fire for ground attack. Jack up the attack rate, dropping the cooldown to about 4 but also lower the damage per shot to about 3. This would be a slight increase in damage output before armor damage mitigation btw.

And since they're doing a lot of seperate attack target/cooldown for air and ground for units, I think goliaths should definitely have this too. They already have seperate weapons vs air and ground.

4. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Photon cannons are only 150 mineral. So the cost would be 250 instead. The bunker with marines are more expensive (100 + 200) but can be very expendable and repairable.

You can't really count the forge either cause you need the barracks to build the bunker too.

Zerg defenses disregarding the tech tree requirement is about half of the protoss and terran.

Yea this would be awesome. Goliaths are already my fav terran unit and they should be jacked up a bit more. haha there ground attack kinda annoys me with the long cooldown rate.

5. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Goliaths are my 2nd favorite (after the Battlecruiser ;)) unit for the Terran. One thing I never got is, for it being a giant mech, its lack of ground firepower, although still a useable ground attack. I would welcome the idea of the goliath gatling gun idea. I'm preety sure that the goliath is making a comeback or with a different name but with relatively the same function

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Ah, thanks for catching me on that. Sorry about that, I think I was thinking about cannon's HP/shield.

But forge for Toss isn't the same thing as rax is for Terran. Gateway is the rax equivalent, while forge is equal to engineering bay. Gateway/rax is something you have to build no matter what, but forge isn't so. Building a forge as Toss means you're making a tech choice beyond the basic standard stuff, but a Terran will always have to get a rax and marines.

7. TEDurden

TEDurden New Member

They couldn't give goliaths gatling guns because then they'd be really imba, think about it: why would they give one of, if not the best, AA unit in the game an awesome ground attack as well? They have to keep all the units relatively balanced, since the idea is for everything to have a counter. I wouldn't be really surprised to see a more ground oriented mech in SC II though, or at least i hope they add another mech :)

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    You should read the details before you cry imba at first sight of "gatling gun."

The main reason why I suggested it is to distinguish the goliath's ground attack from marine's. Goliath's ground attack is basically two marine attacks in one(6+6), but a slightly longer cooldown and no stimpack, basically not that great.

Which is fine, but with the gatling gun idea, they would have a slightly higher damage output and will be a little better against fast cheap units like lings than they are now. But firing much faster while having lower damage per shot also means that they will be weaker against armored units. I think it would make goliaths more unique while still making them very good at filling their role of support.

Plus gatling gun firing would just look cooler.

9. TEDurden

TEDurden New Member

ok sorry, i didn't see the lower dps, i just thought you were raising the rate of attack. I understand what you were saying now, and it would be a pretty nice shift for them. And it would look a lot cooler.

10. deminemi

deminemi New Member

i never really liked using goliaths, but i really hope they don't remove them. The ability to have multiple possible playstyles is what made starcraft great, and now that the protoss have their mothership the terran would be hurting for AA without goliaths :-\

11. Piretes

Piretes New Member

Terran needs more mech units anyway. It's really a two way split for Terran ground-wise, which makes their ground troops rather boring, seeing as you keep using the same stuff. Make some kind of Tier 3 mech unit (Goliath is not Tier 3 for me), which can be used to frontally attack. Tank + Vult is so slow...
    Goliaths should stay because of the above said; and the need for mechanical AA.

12. paragon

paragon Guest

Goliaths are a great all around unit and pre-medic, are the best (only) choice for a ground unit to support tanks.

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Goliath is not tier 3 for anyone, they are tier 2. Terran tier 3 is after starport.

14. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Right good point. haha I never really think of the Forge as an "extra" cause I'm so used to building it routinely without thinking of it.

15. paragon

paragon Guest

I like this idea. It would be nice if they implemented it. It would also be nice if the Goliath's bottom gun was the gatling gun and the two guns in SC1 were missile pods like the ones in the UED videos.

16. burkid

burkid New Member

^ for better AA or just cosmetic?

17. paragon

paragon Guest

so the unit actually makes sense rather than the missiles coming out of nowhere.

18. burkid

burkid New Member

oh. well when you put it like that...

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I definitely agree with the missile pod idea, badass looking ones too.

Goliaths were great but they could've made them look so much better. It can really happen this time around though, I'm counting on a sick goliath design in SC2.

20. paragon

paragon Guest

What I hope for:
    [img width=640 height=480]http://starcraftstrategie.free.fr/Images/T%E9l%E9chargement%20replay%20Laddermap/Goliath%20soleil%20couchant.gif[/img]

starcraft: ghost Goliath (eww):
    [img width=200 height=200]http://archive.sclegacy.com/features/ghost/unit-goliath.jpg[/img]

original goliath:
    [img width=640 height=480]http://www.orgsites.com/ky/starcraftstrats/Goliath.jpg[/img]