1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goliaths...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, May 31, 2007.

Goliaths...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Inside Sin, May 31, 2007.

1. anothernut

anothernut Guest

I'd rather spend a bit more on marines and medics for ground, but for air, a bunch of upgraded goliaths is a mighty force.

2. jamaylott

jamaylott New Member

Hello all, good topic.

Firstly, It seems there are some of us who

ect.

Well, Over dinner tonight it occured to me. The gols balance is HEAVILY weighted on having tank or some OTHER kind of support. Anything, gols on their own are tedious and get in heach others way.

Heres what i propose. Firstly, give the GOL an upgrade to "booster" overtop of ground units, not up walls like reapers or collosus, but just enough so that you could jump your undamaged units at the back of the pack of Goliaths into the front to fight.

This would also allow for some tremendous mechanics for healing damaged units and sending them back out to fight.... it could be epic.

Lastly, in an effort to make them a little more "sneaky" (those of you who have read any of my posts know that theres nothing i love more than sneaky-ness), give the goliath some sort of lesser-damage spider mine.

This would make the gols IDEAL for fortifying new terran positions, allowing for them to gather more resources.
    Protoss have pylons/cannons, The Zerg can quickly build a hatchery and harvest, but check this...

the terran has to spend $400 for a bunker, as well as $400 in units to fill each one, it doesnt seem balanced that the TOSS and Zerg can fortify positions for so cheap.....

anyways, thats another day.

3. Gold

Gold New Member

i think they should make them more anti infantary, in the same way that colosus are anti small unit so should the goliath, the difference being that there range should be smaller, although terran already has a seige tank, i think tho balance this they should make the goliath faster or something. making it a smaller unit, with the ability to hop could be quite cool, probably a bit over the top.

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Goliaths have the longest ground-to-air attack range in the game, and they still have a ground attack. Not too shabby.

Giving them mines(even if only a weaker version) to compensate their weaker ground attack, and giving them essentially the blink ability would quite easily make them OP.

Needing the support of other types of units to be fully effective is not a weakness, that is the game design of the whole game of SC. You are asking to make goliaths have no weakness while all other units do. This is like wanting guardians to have a strong air attack and fast movement speed. This will only make more people mindlessly mass one unit type.

A bunker is 100 minerals and 4 marines are 200 minerals total, it's 300 minerals for each full bunker not 800 as you say. Bunkers are the only static D that can be repaired. The 4 maines you can use for other purposes.

Protoss forge is 150, each pylon is 100, and each cannon is 200. Even if we disregard the cost of the forge, the basic cost is still 300 minerals.

Zerg creep colony is 75 while sunken evolution is 50.

Consider the fact that only Terran can build bunkers right away and put in pre-built marines, which is hella fast. Protoss has to wait for pylons to finish then build cannons. Zerg is even worse, the hatch needs to finish first which takes really long time. Then build creeps wait for that to finish, then finally upgrade to sunkens.

5. Zeratul

Zeratul New Member

u forget the cost and wait of getting a drone to make a colony.

6. coalescence

coalescence New Member

And the slow expansion rate of the creep.

7. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Nice ideas, and yes. Goliaths do not always need support but it helps MAJOR to help its ground defence.

They pwn i use them all the time. But they get owned by a few things. ( Mass Zealots or zerglings. )

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Thanks for pointing that out.

But really, we Zergs should complain about losing drones for every building every time Terrans complain.

9. Pix

Pix New Member

Oh I love the Goliath - my favourite unit.
    I never use it, I just really like the concept and the style.
    Let the Goliaths stay!
    ~Pix~

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    At least the Zerg don't have to spend hundreds of minerals on totally useless structures (Supply Depots), they actually get use out of their supply units.

11. saradisper

saradisper New Member

they aren't so good at the ground. but with these rockets for enemy air-units they've become importants!!! i use these a lot, after the tanks of course

12. coalescence

coalescence New Member

A few of them can rip through zerg ground units quite nicely tho.

13. xxkylexx

xxkylexx New Member

Goliaths are probably my favorite Terran unit in the game. I would imagine Goliaths will make an appearance in SC2 again as the mobile anti-air units. Blizzard can defiantly remodel the Goliath with the modern engine to make them look extremely cool.

14. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think it works well for Terran. You get a whopping 500HP for the same cost. We get the flimsy slow bag of hot air that has a sign that says "shoot me now" on it for everything. They designed ovies for Zerg to go with the swarming theme, to free up food for combat units.

Zerg is vulnerable to supply assults. If you're not careful and fall prey to ovie hunting it's big hurt time, but Terran never has this problem.

Depots are also good for shielding bunkers when you need it for a cheap 100 minerals. Imagine if they were multipurpose buildings but had 200HP like pansy ovies, that wouldn't work.

Besides, where else would marines go for a little afternoon sneaky business with medics?

15. Pix

Pix New Member

Haha! =P
    Overlords do have their detector thing, though. I mean, at least the Zerg can move their supply to secure locations AND makes them invincible against Cloaking tactics.
    ~Pix~

16. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Hehe yea I guess so.

I wouldn't really mind trading our detector with Terrans though. :p

17. mc2

mc2 New Member

Goliaths are always needed with tanks, sometimes zealots and zerglings do slip through the firing lines of tanks and ended reaching them. So if the zealot or zergling is attacking a tank, the other tanks fire and the splash damage will end up killing our own units.

This is where goliath comes on handy, it's like a final defense against fast moving lots and lings and stops them reaching our army of tanks

18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    they are briliant for the multitiered satelite like gameplay that is supposed to be overhualed in SC2 when Marines get the hell blown out of them trying to close in on a mounted tank position goliaths can provide the same small arm-fire moving up ramps without the splash ripping through your infantry.

19. wolfblood

wolfblood New Member

Yea give us bigger bunkers, with mounted guns inside so u send in civilians instead (or even train them in the bunker) whats the civilians ever done for the soldiers xD

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

goliaths are sometimes important in real professional games. they are cool and not useless. even the best starcraft player aka boxer uses them (well he only plays terran.)

i played once on an isle map with my friend, i moved all of my 12 overlords (containing zeglings, hydralisks, and lurkers) near the main enemy base. i thought all of his units was at the front line fighting with my minor units, as i was nearer on his base, 15-20 goliaths were patrolling and it killed all my overlords instantly and so i left the game.