Ghosts, Drops-pods and Terran Mobility.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jan 3, 2008.

Ghosts, Drops-pods and Terran Mobility.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jan 3, 2008.

1. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

How is it a spell? CLearly it does not require energy, as in the november discussion topic, they didn't post it as a spell because it's NOT

2. Inpox

Inpox New Member

drop pods are built from a building, you build marines in that building (just like barracks) and when you got enough marines you can launch a drop pod

well thats what i heard anyway

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Your suggestion means nothing when discussing actual, confirmed mechanics. And as far as the mechanic goes, you can not load any unit in the Drop Pods.
    So, it does not bring mobility to the entire Terran army.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I think he wanted the Drop Pods to have an ability to load any infantry into them which I think might be imbalanced cuz it isn't hard to get to an enemies mineral area, call down Drop Pods with Firebats and mess up the workers then destroy the command.

5. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I think its relatively simple. You have an addon that launches drop pods. Prior to launch, you load whatever infantry you want into the pod the way you would a bunker of Dropship. The pod would naturally have a set number of slots. You launch the pod, infantry come out.

That would be my method of choice.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It would be an addon to what building?

7. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Didn't Karune say that they were testing this idea already?

Like that, From Q&A batch 16?

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    They also said that they tried out a super Thor (like the MS) , but that does not mean that it will be included in the game. It's just current ideas they've got.

Things they say are far less serious than things they show in screenshots. Wait til you see it actually happen.

9. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Haha, why are screen shots so much more final? They test the concepts out, take a shot, and show it to us. It could change at any moment. This was an official Q&A, if that makes it any better.

And if "that's just what they're trying out right now," then I guess we can't say there are marines in the game, right?

I'm just saying that what DUK proposed has a great chance of happening.

And to the comment on my idea being too complicated, it's as complicated as the build menus.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    And I hope it will. Dropping down Siege Tanks and whatnot might come to great use.

Because sometimes, they don't even bother to show a screenshot of something that they only try, fans would only get annoyed if it gets scrapped.

If I saw a SC2 screenshot with a Defiler in it, I would be a lot more sure of it's existence rather than if I read that they are "trying out the Defiler" in a Q&A. That would only awake a little hope.

Although, I agree with you to some point.

Actually, no. :p Because they aren't just "trying it out". It's in the current build, and it can be seen in every video. Scrapping The Marine would be... Not Starcraft.

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I guess i missed that Q&A, but i sure hope they impliment it.

And i dont think it matters if they have a screenshot or not, they had tempest, soul hunters, and videos with the mothership and so on.

Some of those things arent in the game already. Same with Cobras. And the thing about sc2 right now is that they want the feedback from the public when they try out new stuff, thats why they tell us, its not to tease us.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But the point is that those three units woke a LOT more debate than words on papers would, am I right? Why's that? Because people were quite sure that they would make it to the final build, and were upset or thrilled. The power of screenshots and videos, as i've been saying. ;)

And the Cobras made it a long way before being scrapped (and the MS was only changed) , while things that they only write about could change in a week, or even a day of further testing.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

But thats what all info about sc2 is ultimately, we really have no idea if marines or zealots are going to stay, they have a great chance, but really they can also be scrapped.

And new units and things giving us info to talk about aint bad, all we CAN do is speculation for now, which is fine.

Whether a screenshot or a video or a Q&A, nothing is final and all we'll do untill it comes out is speculate

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Sure, we can not be 100 % sure that Marines will stay, but we can be 99.99 % sure, can't we? I give the "Drop Pod that can hold any Terran ground unit" 40 - 60 %, since it's just an idea on paper. Marines are far more than that.
    (I kinda like this idea, though it's already taken by Protoss ( Warp In) . )

Anyways, at the beginning of this discussion, I claimed the current Drop Pod, which only carries Marines, to overlap with Auto Turrets, which are the ones to stay. They are deployed by flying casters, which also detect.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

i dont see drop pods with any terran unit resembling auto turrets in any way but i guess its a matter of opinion.

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Drop Pods with Marines that are quickly send to battle serve the same perpose as the Auto Turrets.
    Quick, additional firepower during a battle.

17. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Cobras were in the build D=
    So were preadtors.

And I think marines should GO becaus ethey were OP, they could hit air units, and they had stim pack... Too imbalanced... Haha, just showing you the possibilities. Some people might think marines, zealots, and zerglings aren't starcrafty enough. Except you don't hear from them because they are quickly assassinated before they can post.

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Drop pods are more of a supprise attack taking them by suprise therefor getting them few decicive extra hits meaning you win the skirmish.

Auto turrets can be used offensively but it would be the same as tryna build any other defensive structure on the battlefield and it will continuously come under fire.

Yes, you can use both of them in similar circumstances but each are very different in their own right.
    For example: You see 20 Marines standing there for whatever reason, what do you do? You send in Drop pods so your units encircle them and kill em.
    Now if you had a Nomad around and you saw the Marines you couldnt straight run up in there deploying turrets cuz they'd get destroyed. But you could first place the turrets down away from the Marines, then make them attack the Nomad therefor they'd followed it into a turret trap and before they can run you might have another nomad placing turrets at their flank.

So as you can see they don't overlap or anything, they are both different, one is not better than the other.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think that all Terran ground units should go into Drop Pods, to further distinguish them from Auto Turrets. That way Drop Pods would serve totally different roles depending on what's in them.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yup I'd be happy if all ground units (excluding mechs) could go in also.

Edit: I was wondering whats the limit of Drop pods you can have on stand by? And does anyone have info on how many Marines can fit into a single Drop pod?