1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost vs Organic

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ItzaHexGor, Apr 2, 2008.

Ghost vs Organic

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ItzaHexGor, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Elfgard

Elfgard New Member

Idea:

Ghost snipe raid. Snipe the Zerg buildings with cloaked Ghosts.
    All snipe the main building.

2. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    Buildings Have "Building" Armor, sho they lose their bonus damage.. don't think it would deal great damage.

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Great post Itza!

Can you submit that as an article after the site changeover takes place? Remind me and I'll help you get it in. Thanks!

BTW, stats check out as far as I can tell.. I didn't mess much with the Ghost so I'm not 100%.

4. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

WOAH! nice post dude! I love what blizzard has been doing with the ghost right now. At least Ghosts will now play a significant role to any terran offensive. As well as defense. Acting as an ANTI-CASTER unit. Being able to shoot an EMP, Snipe, Cloak, bonus damage against light armored units (Mostly casters), and the ability to call down a Nuke.

for the guy who came up with the idea of sniping incoming overseers while one of the ghost is still pointing at ground zero. Why not just have a number of vikings take out the overseers? Like what boxer used to do against zerg players. He rushes a number of wraiths to take out overlords. So if you use the same strategy, not only do you get to screw his population count, you also get the chance to hit him with a nuke. Unless your opponent mutates all of his overlords to overseers. Which I think would be a bit expensive. So its kinda like using the wraith rush strategy against the zerg in broodwars, combined with a nuke drop.

and also, i just wanted to get some opinion from you guys. would you prefer using ghosts for their snipe ability? or emp? against casters? because some people would go for snipe? for me, i think emp would be more effective because snipe takes a couple of seconds to fire right? and sniping needs micro-management? while with emp, you get to use it with less micro because of its aoe? What do you guys think?

5. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    as a terran player, i would absolutely love to have such an over powered ghost, but i have a great feeling this is not the case. The snipe must have some kind of coooldownso , for example, the queen would be hit, the player would hear he is under attack, and before it happens again, the queen is gone.
    [img width=300 height=225]http://www.evangelicaloutpost.com/images/lolcats/seriouscat.jpg[/img] of course several ghosts could counteract that, but that is what over seers are for and why any playr should be prepared for an attack. After gathering all the info i could, i see the ghost a a great asset to my next terran army, but it is no super unit ther will be changes by blizzard

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    While I don't really trust sc2armory, it's the best we've got, so I'll give it a shot.

Ghosts are available much earlier in the game now. Rather than being a tier 3 unit, the Ghost is (or was) a tier 1.5 unit. My guess is that the Ghost being so powerful against Zerg is to balance out for the higher tech requirement of the Medivac Dropship. The Ghost should get some of its abilities moved to other units, especially EMP. EMP should be moved back to the Nomad and regain the Drop Pods ability.
    The biggest problem with snipe is this: if snipe can target air units, this gives Terran players an enormous advantage over the Zerg, as no other races have organic fliers. Luckily Zerg will not have to worry about getting their transports shot down, due to the Nydus Worm, but Mutalisks, Overlords, and Overseers will have an especially tough time against Ghosts.
    I still find it unlikely that the Ghost will be such a great threat against Zerg units as many people seem to believe. Ghosts will be very effective against small groups of units with none or one detector, not in an all-out fight. In small groups of 2-4 Ghosts can wreak havoc on groups of Zerg units relatively twice their size, or the same size, depending on the units. Snipe suffers from a moderate casting delay, sufficiently long enough for units to deal the Ghosts a lot of damage, or even kill them. This is especially true in larger battles, where there are more detector units around.

Cons: A moderate casting delay makes this risky in many larger battles, only works against biological units, limited but still powerful against Protoss and Terran, if used with cloak drains energy very quickly.

In conclusion, Snipe is unlikely to be a sufficiently powerful ability to really make the Ghost a huge threat on the battlefield. While it is very useful against the Zerg, it is unlikely to see much use in large battles involving 10 units or more. The casting delay is one of its major disadvantages. It is completely vulnerable while aiming the shot, and if detected, they'll be in some serious trouble unless in large numbers.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Ghosts are tier 2 now as far as I know. Barracks + Merc Haven + Shadow Ops.
    Nukes can be acquired really fast now. Is a topic discussing early nukes any good?

8. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

Yeah because in sc terran rarely use nuke due to cost,time and manpower
    Now in sc2,nuke may become a main tactic

9. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I didn't use sc2armory for my previous post. I used this. I usually compare the info from the two of them. I AM aware, though that the information is not 100% accurate. I just base my posts off of it because I can't find anything else to go on.

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I was telling ItzaHexGor that cuz hes been using it a lot lately like I used to which isn't good as many of their stats are wrong.

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's the best stats that we've got at the moment. There isn't a site that's as up-to-date as Blizzard except Blizzard and they seldom release information. If you can provide more recent information with a more reliable source then I'll be more than happy to change my opening post. I've already said that:
    sc2armory.com wasn't the only source I used either. I also looked at starcraft.wikia and our own forums. I know that they're all not 100% reliable sources but the chance of them all being wrong aren't too high. So, if you want to correct something, tell me and source it with a more reliable site.

12. Godrey

Godrey New Member

I use nukes a lot in starcraft one in multiplayer so i think that they will be very powerful in sc2. What we do is have one person on tanks and goliaths and then another on battleruisers and then i do nukes. I find that ghost are expandable. you take one in there and do as much damage as possible with as many nuke/shots as you can and if he dies have one or two more waiting to be drop shipped in. As long as you have multiple camand centers you can keep making nukes as fast as you use them. Zerg are the only hard people to take out because there building have so much health. I love the idea of a powerful ghost cause it just helps my plan even more. I can take out even more with one ghost making them highly affective and completely not a waste of money. the nukes are hard to keep going but as long as it is the only thing you are focusing on you are good! :good:

13. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

in sc2? how early can you bring out a nuke? anyone here knows what the requirements are for the nuke missile? do they come out as early as ghosts?

14. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    Probably after you have ghosts and build a silo...

15. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Nuke was around Tier 3 in the original, I believe. I think it might be early Tier 2 now.

16. Juggernaught131

America
    i cannot believe that... I want to, but then they would be forced to weaken it and i do not want my precious nukes weakened at all. tactical or not, i still think in sc1 THEY WERE SMALL

17. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

thats good to know. back in the original sc, nuke was not being used at all, or should i say, rarely used. you dont get to see pro terran players use the nuke. not until late game. and not until needed.

at least in sc2, since we can expect the ghost to be played in numbers, i believe that nuke strike will now also be a crucial tactic to any terran player. I would love to see the nuke as a tier 2 unit, with the same impact as before, or hopefully stronger. I also dont think that it's an overpowered build for the terrans. why? because i'm pretty sure that any terran player would want to build siege tanks first rather than rushing a ghost because its more stable to have tanks asap. not to mention that focusing on early nuke strategies are a bit risky and expensive.

18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    True but the pay off of an early nuke could be very nice depending on how much damage they do now. IMO they will probably leave the nuke damage alone or raise it slightly (5% or so), to make it a more powerful option later in the game.

Also this just occurred to me but what happens if there was a way to upgrage your nuke after tier 3. Say something called "highly enriched matter" which could add a large amount of damage. if this was the case then maybe nukes could be made earlier with a lower damage and then upgraded later.

19. Juggernaught131

America
    that is an awesome idea that i had not even thought about. Maybe the nuke could be tier ttwo at its original power, and later in the game, the AoE can be increased as well as the damage increased. Then maybe they could call it Enriched Pu-239 or U-235 or even call it Thermonuclear Weapons. or maybe as you said "Highly Enriched Matter", but i like the idea of Thermonuclear Fission explosive

20. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

nice dude. thats a very good idea. is there a way for you to bring that up to the dev team? i really like your idea because nukes in sc1 come out very late in the game. by the time you get to build 1, im pretty sure that the enemy base is already fortified. they should consider giving the terrans earlier nuclear capability. i have nothing against the drop time. the only reason why i think they should improve the nuke in sc2 is because, it can be evaded, its risky, its very late game, and it does not deal super impressive damage against buildings. If blizzard gave the protoss the vortex ability which can eat up armies as described in the QAs. I think its only fair to improve the nuke in sc2 in terms of speed (mid-game), and damage.