Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I am merely saying micro is only part of skill change it and other aspects become more important with the difference between good and bad players still being there.

A pro will still manage resources and act more quickly than a newbie

2. Quanta

Quanta New Member

6 marines aren't much of a force. If they only bring workers to set up the expo then ya they will stop the enemy but if they bring other units the marines would only be useful in telling you where they are setting up.

3. Quanta

Quanta New Member

Not to mention you can drop pod mariens into the middle of a group of siege tanks. We all know how selfdestructive those things are when units get in amoungst them.

4. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

what you call speculation, i call denying game footage

5. carousel

carousel New Member

Has anyone mentioned giving the ghost laser tripped bombs yet? When you use the ability you set two points for an invisible beam to run across, which, when broken sets off a charge. Would be nice for ambushing larger units. The charge could even work on a timer. For those who've seen where eagles dare, you can start to imagine the tactical possibilities.

Possible upgrades, could include distance the triggers can be apart.

Either way, with lockdown gone, ghosts need an ability to counter vehicles.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hmm traps does sound interesting but the Ghost already has enough ablities. Maybe we can find another unit to use it on. DT maybe?

7. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

Dark Templar? Iraqis? Basically what he just described is an IED. I, personally, really don't want that in the game.

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    ExCUSE me?

String_me_along , be careful of the words you choose for an example....

Iraqis aren't the ones planting IEDs... that would be a stereotype. Believe me, I know what happens when your words are interpreted in a negative way. :-\

9. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    WOW how far off topic has this gotten!?!

10. string_me_along

Not necessarily supposed to be negative, but uh... they are the ones planting IEDs. Also I don't feel that the ghost is supposed to be an insurgent sort of troop. The spider mine did work well for the vulture, but I don't think that ghost is the best unit to have that sort of weapon. Snipe works well, as do the other powers he has. I think that having some sort of improvised explosive device would either diminish the role of the reaper or be useless.

11. Quanta

Quanta New Member

@string_me_along

1. A large number of the IED's are planted by Iraqi's the rest are by foreigners.
    2. Use of explosives is not just an insurgent tactic. The US has Claymore mines for example which can be set up to go off via trip wire. The US also still uses landmines. The use of explosives is something that is done by regular military, spec ops, and guerrilla fighters alike.
    3. I don't think the ghost should have such ability because the ones it currently has are fine.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    ENOUGH. This is not an Iraq war discussion. Take it to Space Junk.

I think the Ghost has enough abilities so if they do have a bomb the reapers should get it or another race I suggested DTs because they are stealthy assassins

13. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

Dude, I'm sorry. I can't picture the protoss which use mostly psi and brute strength running around dropping mines everywhere... The dark templar doesn't need an ability, they are strong hitting and invisible.

14. carousel

carousel New Member

The question raised was that now the ghost has no lockdown, does it need a vehicle counter ability. Or is that it's weakness?

15. DontHate

DontHate New Member

eh, the mine is already used up by the reaper. anythign else is redundance. i mean even the reaper mine icon is the same as the vultures, so anything else would be too much. i think the ghost is fine without lockdonw. it has snipe now, which is basicly lockdown for biounits, except it auto kills the unit. however, i liked lockdown more becuase it could lockdown bigger and better units, but eh. having it in sc2 is imba with the thor and mothership on it's way. the zerg probably wont' have a mecha unit so snipe won't be a problem.

16. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Snipe is not a instant kill against bio units. It just deals 150 damage. So although it will probably kill any Terran bio unit, against many of the Protoss and Zerg, it's not an instant kill. It makes things much easier to kill, but still not instant.
    Personally, I'd take lockdown over snipe any day. In most cases, mechanical units are much stronger than biological units. So lockdown would be much more useful. If I had to choose between killing a marine and locking down a Thor, I'd lock down the Thor. I don't really see how having lockdown with the MS and thor is imbalanced. They're not actual super units, since you can have more than one. It's just like locking down a BC. Terran did fine against Zerg, even when they could not be locked down, so I don't see it being a problem now.

17. string_me_along

/\ I think that the terran spell the terran could cast on the zerg as an equivalent to lockdown was irradiate. If the terrans don't have lockdown, I'd suspect they wouldn't have irradiate either. I personally like the new ghost with snipe and droppod. But then again I hated when one of my units would get locked down, so I could be biased.

18. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic New Member

By the way, how does one become a Terran Ghost? I believe someone said it is a very grueling process.

19. string_me_along

/\ it certainly is JDMFanatic. First you're only able to be a ghost is you have a really high psionic potential. Then you're put through a ridiculously difficult training period where you are mentally and physically broken down completely. This is accomplished through surgery (neural inhibitors and such), conditioning amplified by psi-powers and gadgets, brainwashing/propaganda, and psi-exercises. The goal is not only to have the perfect soldier, but to have almost a nonperson who will think but remain completely loyal. Clearly this doesn't always work (i.e. Kerrigan)

Ghosts are the tools used by the terrans to get the most difficult jobs done, so they go through the hardest training and have to have the highest potentials. Also, if you're bad at emotions... don't be a ghost. You pretty much have to do whatever you boss wants you to.

20. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    That, or, they will wipe your memory and make you a psionic killing machine like Nova for instance. :)

Anyhoo I think the ghost in all actuality serves its purpose and will not change from the subtle and stealthy killing machine. Besides think about this for Terran. There units can in effect cause an enemy to prepare a massive counter-assault. I mean this by the fact that if you replace the last two letters of Terran you get Terror and if you take the M out of Man you get an. Thus, Terran? So, one of the main qualities of the Terran is to introduce an element of complete and utter terror while remaining in a flexible position. That reason alone makes the Massive potential of the Ghost so powerful at a level to such that if you think about it. You could in turn consider it a super-unit. As now it can ,summon reinforcements , nuke, snipe, and cloak ,which, even on their own are powerful abilities ,but, what makes it even more powerful is the fact it is a small unit and can easily by placed into a base and all those abilities lie within one unit. So, as it is the Ghost does not in fact need a vehicle counter measure as it is not a unit that has ever been there to counter vehicles other than locking them down for other units to come and dispose of it. ( Or in such cases nuclear launch touching down and destroying it.) All in all with lockdown gone the Ghost is just as potent.