1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

drop pods will be useful, unlike dropships, it cannot be killed (i presume it won't give a warning like nukes do, so the ghost is unlikely to get killed neither)

also the troops come out simultaneously instead of one by one

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yes, but they are only Marines. And a drop pod cannot be launched if the ghost that was targeting for it dies. A ghost has much less health than a dropship. And even if it's cloaked, most players would have detectors around their base, so it doesn't make much difference either way. Drop pods at best will be a nice distraction for a drop somewhere else or a frontal assault.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i don't think the ghost would easily die. the drop pod is unlikely to give out a warning, so it's unlikely the opponent will notice it.

think about it, if there are no warnings for nukes then most strikes would succeed instead of fail.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Even if the drop pods do make it, there is little that marines could do, unless you use multiple drop pods. Also, I doubt that drop pods don't have a warning. It would be slightly unfair if a player suddenly found all these marines in the middle of the base with no warning whatsoever. An audio warning's a bit too much, but at least a visual marker, so the player at least has a small chance to prepare.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ Moobox , please don't quote unnecessarily. That includes quoting the person just above you.

I definitely think the drop pods should have a warning. Maybe not "Drop Pod Launched" or anything... more of a beacon that shows you where.

But in a tradeoff for this the calldown period should be MUCH faster than a nuke. It should be almost instantaneous. Maybe under 5 seconds.

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

as long as there is no "drop pod launched" audio warning, players won't be actively looking for drop pods, so they'll only notice it by chance, which will dramatically reduce the chances of them stopping it. plus, the delay period from launch to land for drop pods is much shorter

7. moobox

moobox Member

@ Joneagle_X sorry my bad, won't happen again.

Wlck742 I might just be crazy but I kind of remember reading somewhere that Nukes will not give warnings to the enemy, they can still see the red dot though.

IF this is the case, then my money would be on drop pods not giving an audible warning either.

I agree though it wouldn't be very effective just calling down a drop pod or two full of marines as the bulk of your attack. But it can easily be used as quick reinforcements when defending from enemy attacks, as well as supporting your own attacking units and the enemies base. I'm sure some people will come up with some creative strategies and tactics that involve drop pods, maybe some sneaky moves, who knows?

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think offensively, the main advantage of the drop pod will be a tactical one instead of a strategic one. I think while the rest of your main forces do their thing, a few pod dropped in the rear ranks of the enemy, to take out a few key caster units for example, would be very useful. Or you can quickly setup a scenario where you are attacking the enemy from both sides. I'm sure there will be many ways to use the drop pod to gain a tactical advantage.

But that's not to say strats like dropping some in the enemy's mineral line won't be possible. In some cases, a few ghosts might be enough to wipe out a lightly defended enemy expo at a distant part of the map. In any case, I think it carries a lot of potential.

9. The Vision

The Vision New Member

And also in regards to island maps. Having the ability to drop a pod across to another island will give you an advantage. Especially if you cast one drop pod on each island to prevent any set ups for new expansions from the opposing side. I think thats one point knowone has really thought of yet ;)

10. Associate

Associate New Member

i think giving the drop pods any launch warning is unnecessary, each player receives a warning anyway when their structures or units are under attack

11. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

you could say the same about nukes

the drop pods will be useful for raiding zergs, the ghost's snipe can support by taking out powerful organic units and workers running away also, you could drop pod in one area, while nuking another

12. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

have you seen that in the gamelay demo the player selects 3 ghost tell them to snipe, clicks 1 marine...and only 1 ghost attacks that marine, the others attack the 2 marines by it sides

13. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

you select targets one by one now, same with drop pods and thor bombardment

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Not with the reaper's time charges. The guy clicked only once and they all threw it.

15. The Vision

The Vision New Member

might of been hot keyed? Or it was for demo's sake i think. I dont think they were really trying to introduce something of that sort.

16. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

why not?

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I read somewhere you press another key along with an ability to make an entire grop use it at once. (pretty much ignoring the smart casting) I would wager thats what happened with the reapers time charge.

18. The Vision

The Vision New Member

It takes away from needing actua; skill in microing your units. If they turn it into micro for dummies i think that it will take away from actually being great at the game. being able to combine a good balance of micro and macro is what makes a great player. If they simplify one aspect of this then i dont think it will be a benefit for the game at all

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    not necessarily. It will most likely just change the focus of skill. Intelligent targeting and base construction and unit mixing will still me very important. Micro is only PART of skill there are many aspects of the game to learn

20. The Vision

The Vision New Member

Im still not convinced. But still we do not know for sure yet so all that we are talking about could still just be speculation.