1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

Ghost (Terran Casters)

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gold, May 24, 2007.

1. Broodling

Broodling New Member

Re: Ghost

Get back on topic! This thread is supposed to be about ghosts!

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast

Kenshin, I think this thread just kinda evolved to cover all Terran casters in general.

I would just like to say one more time, that I hate nano repair, just in case I haven't said it enough.

I originally wanted dropships to gradually(regen) repair units that they carry automatically and without cost, so the Terran gets some form of highly limited regen, the dropship can be unique, and Terran ain't the only one that gets shafted in the transport category. But idea of the starbase repairing units instead of charging energy(mana) has been brought up before, and I like that one a lot too. It certainly makes more sense for the starbase, and IMO a better reason to even upgrade to the starbase at all.

3. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I can agree on that. Actually I find it wierd that the Starbase can´t repair at the moment.

Also I´d like something "new" on the Dropship, it is currently the least interesting unit in the whole Game. Give it repair equiptment, Afterburner, Vortex bombs (idea from the Starcraft Beta) or something.

Starbase is a very good idea and I hope it will be in the Gold Master, yet I´d like it to have something different/added to Rearm.

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i agree, no one talks about the drop ship because it's so boring, however i do think blizzard is planning something with that unit. it still hasn't been added on the official website.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

It deploys units more quickly now that is an immprovement. I always though an emergency afterburner would be a cool thing to have it would only be afew seconds though so no crossing the whole map at triple speed.

6. moobox

moobox Member

After thinking a little bit more about the Ghost earlier today when I was at work (productive use of my time I would say) I have to take that statement back.

Just one example of how the Ghost could certainly play a large role in victory deciding battles/tactics is this.

For any race, the gain of an expansion base can be completely turn the tides of the game. If you're playing Terran, for example, and you are expanding to a new part of the map you are vulnerable much of the time. With the Ghost's Drop Pod ability the player can easily bring units to defend a freshly constructed base or outpost. Also for calling in reinforcements to defend a new base of yours that may come under attack.

This seems like a fairly obvious use to me but I don't know if I missed someone else suggesting it already, but the Drop Pods could be called down in a players base to raid economy.

Imagine having a pack of Reapers jumping in/out of your base harassing you. They come down, finish off the rest of your workers and start going to town on the back of your base. Then all of a sudden two or three Drop Pods fall from the sky, spilling marines into your base as well.

So yeah, I change my mind :D.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

Or Reapers attack you so you drop some pods of your own to fight the reapers off.

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast

I think the drop pod is not unlike Terran's own version of warp-in, and thus, highly useful. I think it would have some wonderful tactical applications.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL

Well, Remy, I don't know if I would actually compare it to Warp-In. The only similarities they share are that units in general can be called in to any location.

I mean, technically the Protoss production has become entirely mobile. Whereas the Terran are still stuck in their "gotta float it to build closer" mentality. I know we've discussed that the Terran should possibly have a late-tier option to have mobile production... I think that might be more of the counter to the Protoss warp-in ability, personally.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

The starbase is as mobile as it gets. Also it is air units high tier stuff crank out a BC on the enemies doorstep. Best you can get for 'toss is a DT no big ole carriers or MS

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes but what's the point of cranking out air units that already have such high mobility? It's not like it takes years to move across the map.

Especially since the thing doesn't even have repair abilities.

If I were a Terran player I would MUCH rather have my ground production be mobile than my air production.

Air units, by definition, are already mobile! ;)

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I am more interested in the fact that a starport can make BCs without an add-on

13. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

vikings are highly mobile, and more powerful then marines.

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    But siege tanks and cobras aren't. Frankly, I'd take siege tanks over vikings any day.

15. moobox

moobox Member

So far off-topic but I don't think that mobile production for Terran really needs to be emphasized, since they can expand to new bases rather quickly.

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Their structures can fly, one of them can build while flying, structures can be sold off to be built elsewhere. It doesn't get much more mobile than that.

17. moobox

moobox Member

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

You speak the truth man, I really like your thought and logic you use behind many of your posts that I've read. Up you go!

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

the buildings move very slowly, like below guardian speeds

and what can you do with siege tanks? if lucky, you can dropship a few to attack the base, but other then that, you can pretty much just use them for a frontal attack. the drop pod on the other hand, can go-anywhere, be-anywhere. you could attack fromt he side, from the rear, or at the very heart of an enemy. the viking and reaper are the only other units that are mobile enough to fight with them

19. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

a little off topic course of where this is going atm, but i recently noticed that ghosts have 70hp, thats a lot of infantry, with a medic, and drop-pods, that makes ghosts more than simple casters.

20. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    @hillzagold

The fact that you need a dropship to attack the enemy base doesn't make much difference. The reason drops are harder to pull off than a frontal attack is because there are defenses at the base. Using vikings or reapers doesn't change the fact that there are defenses. They still have to get past those defenses somehow to attack the base.