1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost Drop Pods : how it works

Discussion in 'Terran' started by qOcOp, Aug 7, 2007.

Ghost Drop Pods : how it works

Discussion in 'Terran' started by qOcOp, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Well, that's one reason astronauts have all that rigorous training, to make sure they don't puke in the suit.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

They open up the visor so they can puke into space and die. :)

3. slugonice

slugonice New Member

I agree with FLYING TIGER

4. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

I think Pods slow down before hitting the ground, like those elevators from very tall buildings. So, instead of puking, the marines that get drop-podded too often will get a tad shorter in height.

5. StarCraft144000

StarCraft144000 Member

Guys its 8 Marines.

6. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

That's just terrible. I can imagine that happening to a firebat. His vision would be blocked from the viscous goop on his visor so he panics and just starts spraying fire in ever direction hoping to hit something. >.>

As for the drop pods, I can imagine that they might change it in the future to deliver different types of units. In Starcraft your really don't send marines somewhere unless they are accompanied by medics, unless you have a very specific strategy in mind. The same thing will apply to the drop pods, but even more so since you get that ability so much later in the game than the ordinary marines and medics. Coming so late in the game means that they would need medics unless you are just dropping on an opponent's workers. At that point you will have to deal with, if you are fighting protoss, probably stalkers, immortals, zealots, phoenix, and possibly (if they go fast tech) colossus. Six or eight marines, which ever it may be, even multiplied by three if you really want to drop that much, is still a very small force compared to what your opponent may have at that point. And without medics dropping with them, they are going to be ripped to shreds before they can do serious damage.

Edit: That was a funny italics mistake...

7. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

I think it would be fun to go on a drop pod. They should have one at the next World Wide Invitational instead of a hot air balloon. ;D

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think you should be allowed to load any ground unit into the drop pod, and instead of making the drop pods from a building, there should be a drop pod launch center or something. Each should only be able to hold half the amount of a drop ship, and build as many as you want. So you could stick a a tank in each drop pod and send them flying.

9. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

It would be a nice way to infiltrate a group behind an enemy base: the Ghost gets through unnoticed, and when it reaches the perfect location he calls forth the Drop-pod, allowing the assault squad to sneak-attack without getting through the enemy's defenses with a Dropship. This Ghost is starting to look more like a thief than a sniper to me! lol

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

10. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

I'm not too sure about letting drop pods lift mechanical units. If it could carry just one at a time then it wouldn't really be cost efficient. I'd think that drop pods, can load up a number of infantry units.

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

@ Eye_Carumba

Naa, it is more like a super secret agent on the inside snapping necks and shooting henchmen down with silencers on. Kind of like a James Bonde and when the job is done, army men actually come out of no where when he kills the head man and blows up the enemy base. Oh yeah and not to mention that he always gets the girl lol. Now if only ghosts were like that.. Unfortunatly, James Bonde is a fictional character and cannot dodge bullets not to mention that they can't aim. That is what happens when you buy hentchmen online...

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

12. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

i think that it should be a different kind of unit not marines but something else because u can make marines at barracks if u think about this carefully this is similar to C&C only distant future and its manual

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I would advise you guys to think about this ability's possible uses. I mean, it has unlimited possibilities:

Step 1: 2 Ghosts enter base undetected, begin launching of drop pod.

Step 2: Drop pods descend, Marines spill out and destroy preliminary base defenses in the surrounding area before reinforcements can arrive to deal damage.

Step 3: Dropships carrying Medics and mechanical support arrive and reinforce the Marines.

You now have a rather large army in your opponent's base and can continue to reinforce them so long as you can beat back air support.

A foothold is greater than a large army.

14. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

not really, drop pods will get owned if they try to protect themselves from defenses. the great thing about drop pods is that you can land them almost anywhere. drop pods will only be truely effective at attacking the underside, say, holding off newly produced reinforcements from getting to a battle, or raiding workers. also as a reserve troop to work as reinforcements themselves

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Hmm.. I don't know. As a late-tiered unit, they'd probably be your only option for taking out a heavily fortified anti-air oriented defense.

20 Marines could easily take out a Planetary Fortress if spread out correctly and certainly remove almost all turrets/cannons if they could be dropped instantly like that.

16. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

assuming that the opponent has a base completely devoid of units that can attack ground, such as the viking and phoenix

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    ? You mean the Viking and Banshee.

Well, this is true. But often times an opponent either isn't paying attention to their rearguard to catch the launch of drop pods (unless an announcement is made like nukes) or their forces are simply too far away. I mean, you can't just have a small contingent of units because the dropping of the Marines would require a significant force to immediately suppress. Especially if they have even 20 seconds to take out all the defenses and allow themselves to be reinforced.

Plus this could also be used as an INCREDIBLY distraction. Think about it, this doesn't even have to happen near the minerals. Just getting a good foothold behind the main line of defense (come on, everyone has one) is going to be enough.

To me, abilities like this that allow units that aren't cloaked and aren't air to appear at random positions within a raised(or lowered) base will change the structure of defense positions and force players to change their gameplay tactics. No longer will there be this "block and defend" mentality, because it simply isn't valid against any decent player.

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

indeed, being hit in front and in the back must be hell on your strategic mind

but let's say your opponent uses this on you, how would you counter it? personally, i would get a dozen vikings tor banshees and hual ass back there.

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, if a player wasn't careful enough about defending their base, they almost deserve getting an army of marines storming your back door. Most good players keep units to defend their base, so it'll only be a distraction, taking out a few workers or buildings at best.

20. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Actually, I'd beef up and use my planetary fortress to deter any serious forces.

I'd also just plain keep an eye out for ghosts, just like I did in SC1.

Of course, the fact that I always play Zerg and constantly have Overlords patrolling in several directions helps.