1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum shop update

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by sc2forums, May 26, 2008.

Forum shop update

Discussion in 'Forum Shop and Battle.Arcade' started by sc2forums, May 26, 2008.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    WTF! For the last time it's forum money! LOL

KuraiKozo likes this.
  2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Great to hear

Are you increasing the number of items we can show?

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Damn you Jon, making the rest of us look bad.

4. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

hmm, it's really sad but it doesn't seem like the new shop has a trade center... :( or your own items page. Like there is no way to store your own items... don't ask me why!

5. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Oh my god.... I hope you will solve this somehow.. This way.. the shop would mean nothing:) and trading was also good.. We have plenty of time, and I know you will manage to make it work.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Look harder sc2forums, look harder! This can't be the end of items!

7. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

I am trying but have spent the last 3 hours finding out that this shop works a lot differently than before. The new shop will let you pruchase items which you can display in your posts, but you don't have a specific page where all your items are. So you can still get pets and such, but can't trade with each other since you really don't have an inventory...

I can also code items like avatar frames, except you can't collect lots of different frames. As soon as you buy it, it will update your frame in your posts and the old one will just be overwritten.. at least so far, that's how it looks like it will work...

I wish I can port smfshop over to vbulletin.... =(

8. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    A shop that doesnt allow you to trade items?! What kind of programmer thought that would be a good idea,?

At least they show in your posts though, thats where it counts the most.

9. Light

Light Guest

Damn, it seems all vB does is be expensive and not deliver anything new.. Thanks a lot for being so determined, admin, I am sure it will be better.

10. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

No, it is more secure, much faster, easier to maintain and theme, patching and upgrading to latest versions take me 2 mins instead of a day, new profile features/social groups, arcade mod with tournaments (and the ability for me add new games with a 1 click), and lots of other things I can't recall at the top of my head.

Basically, it has saved me a lot of time (and time is what I need :) )

The only thing that the forums are missing really, is the shop right now which I am working on. It's just not looking good at the moment... I always thought the SMFshop was created according to the vbulletin one, but obviously not the case as SMF shop made a lot more sense...

11. Light

Light Guest

What will be the new shop feautures then?

12. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    D= This is a sad day for all of us...
    But, there's never enough of thankyous, so thanks Jon!

13. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

Well, I'm working on it. We might sacrifice some of these features... I mean, you'll still be able to collect items and pets, I'll see if I can make enough pet slots to display 1 of every unit. If we make icons small enough, we might be able to do that.

The shop has other features though, like giving minerals to the thread starter depending on how many views a thread gets or how many replies to their threads. It also has things like when you create a thread, the creator can choose to 'charge' other users to view the thread, or charge to download an attachment. So things like selling wallpapers or maps, etc would be doable - users can choose to 'pay' to download an attachment, which automatically goes to the creator. Essentially, it's almost like a virtual marketplace for your digitally created things.

The shop also can sell items that can change colours, bold, underline, etc your own threads, which perhaps could be used in a 'marketplace' forum, where sellers could enhance their threads advertising their wares. I'm just throwing ideas around here but these sort of things are possible with the new shop.

I'm still looking into how we could use the shop - the old shop had a lot of custom stuff done by me to it. SMFshop didn't have the option of buying/displaying pets in your posts, or buying avatar frames - I coded those myself, if we had been using the barebones smfshop, you guys would be commenting on how crap it was.

The difference with vbulletin shop is that the way it works is fundamentally different - with no individual inventory, it will be impossible to code for things like a trade market. This is what I am worried about. But I think we'll be able to find new ways to use the shop and make it just as interesting as before.

14. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Is there absolutely no chance of you coding the inventory?

The things you mentioned do sound nice, but I'm fairly sure everyone would gladly sacrfice these new features to retain the old system with the inventory, trade centre, and stuff like that.

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But is it possible to have a pet battle system? That would definitely compensate for a lot.

16. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

No Kuvasz, no chance. The way it runs at a fundamental level makes it impossible without basically re-writing the entire thing, and I don't know enough to do that. Unless someone here knows a lot of PHP and VB, it won't be possible.

A pet battle system would be a seperate mod and there is a good one for VB which I think is free here
    http://dev.p3tz.com/index.php?page=vbpetz

the only thing would be the amount of time it would take to customize it so it is starcraft themed. It will take a while I think, as we'll need to create all custom graphics, items, etc.

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    How long time do you think it will take (for the shop to be up?)?
    And I have a question that I cant find an answer on... The activity % is calculated out from the 10 most posting, but is that most posting today, the last moth, or overall?

18. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    im just glad that the shop will be back, although it may not feel the same anymore

anyways, thanks sc2, and thank you too Jon

*seriously? the forums earn money?!?!?*

19. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

I'm still in the process of creating the shop. Trying to figure out the best way to implement it.

furrer, it is calculated using data from the past 21 days.

Ursawarrior, in the past few months, I would estimate that the forums made about $100 in total (we don't have many ads as you can see, at the moment we have none because it wasn't really making anything).

Ofcourse, I didn't take away how much we spent on hosting and software, etc. Which is over the past few months would be close to $1,000. So we made negative $900 :)

20. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    D:
    ohh, i would help pay if i had the money
    but anyway thank you so much Sc2, and thank you, too, jon. you guys are awesome ^_^