1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the people who think the reaper's pistols suck...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 10, 2007.

For the people who think the reaper's pistols suck...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 10, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

personally i want flamethrowers, and change the name to fire-bat, it fits :p

2. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    I watched Star Wars: episode 2 and saw the guy who was the host of the clones. His look is definately like a reaper and he also uses pistols, however, he also has a flamethrower. The reaper will be a great unit if Blizzard also added flamethrowers to them.

Btw, 1000 posts baby! ;D

3. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Pistols are just too week for the starcraft universe. If you are fighting hordes of alien insects and robotic aliens with energy shields you want machine guns and powerful automatic rifles, not pistols.

The shotgun idea is a good one. How about twin sawn-offs? Now that would be something to see.

4. G0li4th

G0li4th New Member

Pistols sucks? Hum no way. It's a good way to get down fast enough the last units or just rush the base units in base.

5. Flesh

Flesh New Member

Another weapon a reaper could use would be a grenade launcher. If nothing else, it would certainly look more powerful than pistols. Grenade launcher would fit with his"light, hit and run base raider" style since grenade launchers are relatively practical and easy to carry around and at the same time it would explain why he is able to take down armored targets like immortals.

Personally, I would prefer a shotgun for the reapers. They could call it a flak gun or something and create some kind of fancy projectile art. Flamethrowers are also cool weapons but I don't think it would fit with the reapers role because you cant really explain why is a unit with a flamethrower effective against armored units like immortals. Also, with a flamethrower you'd expect the reaper to give some kind of splash dmg, which is also something that reaper is, apparently, not supposed to do. They could use the flamethrower as a sort of a secondary weapon and maybe grenade launchers as primary.
    Any more ideas?

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

flamethrower would suit the reapers fine. the reapers are not specifically designed to be counter the immortals, in the demo they simply used reaper as an example of a unit that doesn't activate the hardened shield, there are plenty of other units that are better than reapers at killing immortals, like zerglings and marines. the reapers are designed to carry out base raids to disrupt the enemies economy, where flamethrowers would totally pwn workers.

7. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

I see the argument is: what does it matter if a pistol sucks? You're dead by it anyways.

The counter-argument: A pistol does not theoretically deal more damaged than a ridiculously big Gauss rifle. Good luck killing a Colossus with Desert Eagles.

Counter-counter-argument: And a Gauss rifle kills a Colossus?

Counter-counter-counter-argument: stfu

Flawless Reasoning.

8. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    I personally think the Pistol for the Reapers is a good idea because when did any other unit in an Rts game have dual pistols in the futer? I think Blizzards still got it.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    But if you see the movies and demos, the reaper's pistol seems to have a really short range, shorter than the marines. At that distance, the flame thrower would be a better weapon to use in battle.

10. Flesh

Flesh New Member

Yes but if you'd give them flamethrowers then you would expect them to be good at crowd contol. You'd expect them to give splash dmg and be effective against swarms of tier1 melee units, which is obviously something that reaper isn't supposed to do. And with flamethrowers you'd expect them to have a negative bonus vs armor which, when combined with their aleready small basic dmg output, would lead to reaper not being able to combat armor at all.
    And from the design point of view I just don't see why would anyone use a heavy weapon like flamethrower in a hit-and-run harass, you might as well give them a rocket launcher or something. If flamethrower is to be used then it should be carried by a combat unit like firebat, not a hit and run unit like reaper.

11. Teh Chosen One

Teh Chosen One New Member

if you dont like the reapers... just dont use them, i always use marines and never use firebats, just dont use them if you think they suck, and its a balance, reapers can pass cliffs and marines cant, its a balance and reapers are the counters to mines (or did they put the mines in the video?) and immortals, they have less attack but more movement.
    andi dont think the reapers pistol sucks, its for a surprise attacks.

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Kudos, I never used the firebat either. And if I tried Terran, I probably wouldn't use the reaper unless cliff jumping was the only easy way to get into an enemy base. Doubt that will be the case, they will be highly defended now with all the units known to cross cliffs; colossus, stalker, reaper, no to mention the Zerg will most likely have one or two as well. Even if he's a surprise attack unit, having a weak pistol would mean that they would do minimal damage unless built in arge number and somewhat upgraded.

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

its not that people dont like the reaper, its that they dont like the weapons they use, namely pistols.

Not using reapes is silly, they are amazing base raiders, you'll deny yourself the option to seriously harm the enemy's economy if you dont use them.

Furthermore, alternatives to the pistols may be uzi or other submachine guns, rather than pistols.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    machine guns would work, but it is still the player who decides if whether or not a unit is useful; for example, many ppl use firebats in SC when playing terran. I don't, I prefer just building marines and medics. I just don't see the firebat as useful and a waste of minerals and vespian gas.

The reaper may be a good base raider, but remember that cliffs will be more heavily guarded in SC2 than they were in SC, limiting thier effectiveness, especially going up cliffs since the defender's bunkers/cannons/units will be able to fire down on the reapers before the reaper will be able to fire back, no matter how good the reapers gun is.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

well, there will always be cracks in the cliffs, you cant defend everything, if anything, bases will be more centered around the main building now, as opposed to one entrance.

16. Flesh

Flesh New Member

Nobody said reapers are useless. We said their weapons look bad. Its a thread about reaper pistols, remember? Maybe Blizz could do a better job at unit design and then everybody would like using this new unit.

17. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

well it's not as if currently with their pistols the reapers can combat armor, the pistols do like 4 damage and the reapers only have 45 hp. with flame throwers the damage would be something like 4 + 8 bonus against small, so it still does 4 damage to armored but more to infantry, to compensate it has shorter range. it has been suggested the flamethrower could be an upgrade for the reapers, or that the jetpack an upgrade for the firebats. either way only one of them should stay

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I dont see why we cant just have firebats and reapers the way they are now.

If a change is what most people would like to see for the pistols what about a submachine gun with bursts of damage 3-4 shots of 3-4 damage each.

19. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    you mean like a miltiple shot ability?

20. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

No, for his normal attack to be similar to the battle cruiser only with shots, 3-4 shots each with 3-4 damage