Firebat Taken Out!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 8, 2008.

Firebat Taken Out!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Seradin, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Well I'm sure the unit will be pretty mobile as the slow firebats lorewise would get owned by Zealots and Zerglings plus the Zealot did high damage and was very mobile, and its even more mobile with the charge. I just hope they keep the fire :D

2. 11-Sodium

11-Sodium New Member

I liked the firebats a fair bit, especially early game. Whatever they come up with will hopefully have at least these traits: close range splash attacks of moderate power, and the ability to use stim packs.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Zergalicious
    More mobile huh? What if the new unit would be Vulture 2.0? Fast as hell, but with the Firebats attack (not visually) . Its grenade thingy could have shorter range and deal splash. And it could keep the mines. :p

4. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

They would not use a new unit just to make it identical to the old firebat. If there were a unit like the firebat it would be the firebat.

5. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I just hope they don't give the flamethrower to the reaper, the splash damage plus its mobility could easily make it op.

Perhaps they will make a new mech unit? Current armies have used modified tanks as heavy duty flamethrowers with decent range. That would be a cool idea since the firebat was in the factory. This could replace both the firebat's and cobra's concept. It would do splash damage and could attack on the move, plus it is armored.

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Goliaths in the SC1 Beta (or alpha, I dunno) had flamethrowers, maybe they're trying it out again? :)

7. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I never knew the goliaths had flamethrowers at one point in development. It could be that they are trying to bring them back.

I love tanks though, so I like my flamethrower tank idea. Also, it feels like it would fit terrans more. Although, multiple tank units could easily get repetative, which Blizzard is trying to stay away from. I will be happy with whatever Blizzard decides.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Lets come up with some close range splash weapons.
    Flamethrowers
    Grenades/Bombs
    Short range splashy Minigun :)P)
    Shotgun
    Gigantic Chainsaws?
    lol

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Vulture had a slight splash already you know. But the scale would be tipped as they'd have too many mechs in my opinion and these are humans we're talking about which are very adaptable so they'd definitly need another infantry unit. Aslo that would leave them without a melee unit :[

Marine, Medic, Reaper, Ghost
    Viking, Thor, (unit to replace the cobras role), Banshee, Bc, Nomad, Siege Tank

But what I would like to see, with gmg's idea of the Vulture 2.0 how about a melee unit which has very similar mobility to the vulture (as in fast and when you click attack it slides in close) so that you can micro the hell out of fast units coming in attacking then quickly moving away like you could imagine how a melee Vulture would attack.

What weapon would it weild?
    Not sure but I really want them to keep fire as it adds to uniqueness and fire is just w0000t. Imagine this unit racing in to the middle of an army wanting to take out a HT or something then sped out leaving the HT dead for psi >;]
    Right now I have the idea of a infantry melee unit with some kinda fire gloves that splash which they punch/whatever else they'd do. Not quite sure right now but hey who knows.

k, I was just about to post but now i saw all these other posts :O

How about an infantry unit which utilizes robotic technology and has reverse jointed legs (''These are the Terran soliders whose legs/spine have been wounded during combat meaning they can no longer walk up right therfore utilize robotic legs) which allow it to run at speed but slowing down isn't as quick with normal legs. But no matter what, I'd want it to have a melee fire attack wish splash.

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I like the idea of having a hover bike vehicle similar to the vulture and cobra equipped with a flame thrower.

1.) It could be fitted to the factory.
    2.) It solves a lot of problems for terrans versus light melee units.

However, the only problem I see with the flame vulture is it interfers with the role of reapers as base and economy raiders. Another problem is you would get this unit around tier 2, and there could be a chance that your enemies use less melee units such as zeolots and zerglings. Those are my only problems with it, but who knows, it could work out.

11. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The lore is badass! Amputated sociopaths FTW!

13. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I'm still bitter about the Firebat kicking the Viking out of the firebat. Good riddance you flaming jerks.
    As for the Cerberus, thats just awesome.
    I would love another infantry about the size of a marine, more units to load into Bunkers and (possibly) drop pods.
    Amputated freaks...with arms that spew fire. Thats brutal...and fantastically twisted.
    I would be presently surprised if this was indeed the new unit.

14. Zacron

Zacron New Member

The Cerberus sounds more hardcore than Reapers.^^

15. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Makes me think of Axel from Twisted Metal  o_O

Idk, sounds fine, but not outstanding, IMO. 

Though, I'm not sure why we're all thinking fire.  Why not irradation?  Or some sort of chemical/biological weapons system?  I can totally see a dude in a white suit with a big ol' radiation/biohazard symbol on him with a big gun spewing greenish stuff.  Perhaps give him a limited use AoE Irridation (Sci Vessel)...Maybe like he throws a small uranium grenade?

Actually...This would technically be replacing a factory unit.  'Praps a Goliath-esque mech with the bio/rad stuff.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Scathing retorts?

16. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Scathing retorts? how 'bout this?!
    That is the most unbelievably, unnecessarily, completely and utterly...reasonable idea I've heard.
    Thats not bad actually. True, we are still all thinking fire. Is it a fact that this will a largeer factory unit?
    I suppose if it will be replacing the firebat then one would assume so.
    I would love to bring irridate back into the game. The disadvantage of the ground unit having the ability is that then it would be vulnerable to it, unless of course it was invulnerable to it.
    That just reaks of strategy.

So what we're working with here is a unit like the firebat but whose attack leave a little irridation with a possible irradiation grenade. Good AoE attack, no air attack. Sounds very similar to the firebat....it could be a mech...im just kinda thinking as I type here. Mech would have faster movement, not be medic-able, SCV repair as well as nano repair...
    ...trails off....

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I'd be happy if the firebat came back more mobile, retained splash damage, left the attacked unit burning for a little while.

18. Thalion

Thalion New Member

I feel little dissapointed with that change... first was mobile Starbase, then very nice Cobra, and now hardcore Firebat... why they axed 'em?!

19. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    I liked the firebat, i'd miss it but maybe it might be that female ghost i hard about, some kind of high templar esque unit where female ghosts have stronger psychic signatures than males. Whatever I'd love to see another mech class unit loved using goliaths in SC1 Goliaths and Marines were fun.
    THe Ceberus sounds great and alot of thought was put into it, I'd love to see it implemented even if only in caampaign and Map Editor.
    Oh btw Thalion, ya missed predator on the list.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Maybe he didn't like it? :D

And I doubt that there will be a female Ghost. Two different Ghost units would be... boring.