1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite New Zerg Unit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Wlck742, Mar 10, 2008.

?

What's your favorite new Zerg unit?

1. Infestor

12.0%
  2. Corrupter

16.0%
  3. Overseer

4.0%
  4. Swarm Guardians

8.0%
  5. Queens

20.0%
  6. Baneling

12.0%
  7. Roach

28.0%

Favorite New Zerg Unit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Wlck742, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Rambling

Rambling New Member

the queen seems like it has a lot of responsibilities now unlike the old one. But I had to go with banelings as they will be much more useful then infested terrans as no one ever used infested terrans in original SC.

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The new Queen does resemble the old one, but they definitely don't look the same. The old Queen did have a bee or wasp-like abdomen, but it was much smaller and overshadowed by the webbed limbs. The current Queen has a more obvious abdomen, which is much larger and more robust than the old one. The old one also had the webbed limbs but the legs were much weaker and flimsier, probably unable to support its weight, whereas the new Queen's limbs are, again, much sturdier. Both Queens have their tusks, but the newer one's are a bit less obvious. The old Queen even has the attacking arms of the new one, but look extremely flimsy and fragile.
    I'd say that the only significant changes are that the new Queen now has a torso and a much more prominent head. Apart from that, they're very similar units.

3. Gforce

Gforce New Member

the head is completly altered as well.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'd mentioned the head.

5. me555

me555 New Member

Starcraft 2 is going into a lot more unique units now.

I think they said that the queen is like a mini hero.

I bow my hands down to the queen ;)

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Queen isn't a hero, nor is it a mini hero. It's just a powerful unit. That's it. There are no heroes or super-units in StarCraft2 at the moment and, not sure about super-units, but there never will be heroes. Obviously there will be main characters, etc, in the campaigns and Map Editor and stuff, but even they won't be heroes.

7. bluemanrocks

bluemanrocks New Member

gotta go with the roach.
    probably the best unit in the game without a spell.
    so far anyways.

8. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    yeah if they change the design abit...
    or atleast change the lurkers design so they dont look so similar =]

9. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I chose Roach, heres why:

The infestor really needs a redesign. I mean, it's this purple glob of junk that can move while burrowing... I like the moving while burrowed part, but a fat unit doing it just doesn't cut it for me.

The corruptor is a pretty well designed unit in my opinion. What I don't like is its ability. It "corrupts" units and the units just remain immobile and unusable for anyone. Just a waste of space for the disabled units.

The overseer is a step down from the real Zerg. Sure, Starcraft II has to be a balanced game but the changes should be reasonable. Why would overlords scrap the normal abilities and need to evolve to get the abilities? Waste of money to evolve them. Bad decision on Blizzard.

Swarm Guardians I haven't seen yet so I'm going to have to go on the information I know. The ability to create Broodlings is pretty cool but since I don't know the extent of its abilities yet, I can't judge it.

Oh dear... the Queen. I just hate it. Sure, people look for power in units but this just isn't Starcraft. Unbalanced superunits are in Warcraft, not Starcraft. The heroes in Warcraft III pretty much ruin the game for me. The entire game depends on one unit in Warcraft. Same for the Zerg in Starcraft II now. Without the Queen, no defense and your left wide open for assault. Game over... And the idea of leveling up according to having a Hatchery Lair or Hive is just plain absurd to me. I think Blizzard is just being lazy and can't think of anything better than to take pathetic Warcraft III ideas and incorporate them into a great game like Starcraft II. Another problem is the entire redesign and its abilities. The queen is now a ground unit as opposed to the air unit in Starcraft 1. It looks too much like a Warcraft III crypt fiend or a Crypt Lord. The abilities are just cheap and lame. Deep tunnel is pretty much rigged since you basically teleport to any building you have. The ability that turns surrounding structures into attackers is just... lame. "OMGZORZ I'm being attacked by some zealots! Wtf should I do? OMG I know! Bring my Queen and kill them with her abilities OMG." Okay so I exaggerated, but the abilities and its attack are just rigged.

The baneling is pretty cool but the animation of it moving is stupid. You want a rolling ball of green explosives? It would be better if it just hopped like the regular zergling but maybe a little bit slower.

I picked the roach because the concept was very nice. A Zerg unit that acts specifically as a meat shield to counter the Terran's healing on the battlefield and the Protoss' faster shield regeneration. The design is pretty good, though it could do a bit better.

This is why I picked the Roach over the other units,
    Thank you for reading.

10. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I don't agree with your thoughts on the queen, DT. I think you overestimate her, and think she is all powerful, which she isn't.

It's not unbalanced. It's abilities are balanced by the queen's cost, it's the most expensive zerg unit in the game. Also, unlike the MS, you have to re-mutate her back into a Hive Matriarch every time she dies, meaning she would usually be used as a last resort, not something to turn the tide of a major battle.

I don't agree here, I've player many games without building sunkerns or spores. Sure it's harder that way, but it wasn't needed. The zerg don't depend on base defences, they used scores of cheap units to defend them.

Anyways, why would you not have a queen? It's not too much to have a queen and not upgrade her. Thus, you can get a few defences without having to kill all your drones.

I think the ability to get stronger throughout the game makes sense and makes the zerg unique from the other races. I've never player Warcraft III, but I don't see how using ideas from previous games is lazy. That's like saying they are lazy with the marine because it still has range and built the same way as in sc1.

Whats wrong with being a ground unit? If it was an air unit, it would give the zerg a tier1 flying spellcaster, which would be op IMO. As for Deep Tunnel, you have a 15 second cooldown time between casting, meaning she has mobility, but cannot be everywhere at once.

That sounds similar to spamming sunkerns and a few lings in sc1 when you scouted zealots coming to your base. Unless you want the zerg to have an offensive spellcaster like the Mother Ship, playing defence is the best way for her to go.

11. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    I believew the baneling is the best new unit cuz it creates three things IMO
    1: it rids the infested terrans items of being so useless useually
    2: it adds a huge ghameplay possibility with a nydus worm
    3: it creates a reason for why the scourge self destructs, adding a possible lore for the units and adding a scourge of the land lol

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    While I do agree that it's good that it rids the Swarm of suicidal Infested Terran, the other two points aren't really too valid. Firstly, it doesn't add many new gameplay possibilities as the same could be done in StarCraft1 with Nydus Canals and Infested Terran. It's the same in StarCraft2 except for that the Banelings are cheaper, so there are more of them, and less powerful. If anything is creating the new possibilities when it comes to these sorts of situations, then it's the Nydus Wyrm as it no longer requires Creep, just sight, meaning it can put up almost anywhere on the map distributing whatever it desires.
    Secondly, it doesn't really create a reason for why the Scourge self destructs, and doesn't really add to the lore either. Blizzard have already given reasons for why and how some suicidal Zerg units explode, and having explosive and suicidal units are nothing new to the Swarm. The Infested Terran and Scourge being two previous examples.

13. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    exactly, the gameplay tactics must change because the units do not have to wait until the have a queen and a weaken terran base to make the self destructing units. THe fact that now there are two purely zerg units for suicide on land and air, this adds a possibility for the lore to add why they self destruct. like tblizzard gave stries for what the hydralisk and aultralisk come from, now they can tell why the scourge and banelings kill themselves

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    In StarCraft2 there is only one unit that self destructs. The Scourge isn't in StarCraft2. It doesn't add to their lore anyway. Blizzard already has all the lore behind how and why Scourges and Infested Terran explode, so the Banelings doesn't add to them at all. It works of a completely different system to the other, so there isn't even any overlap in what makes them explode.
    Saying that another exploding unit adds to the lore behind all exploding units is like saying that the Roach, which is a ranged unit, adds to the lore behind the Hydralisk, which is another ranged unit. The point is that they don't. They're two different units who share a similar attack style. They don't share a similar way of attacking, they just share a similar attack style.
    They've already told us how hand why Scourges exploded. It's some huge mystery, and it's definitely not as though the release of the Baneling will allow us to learn more about them. They haven't actually given any lore behind the Baneling yet so instead of the Baneling helping to explain the Scourge and Infested Terran, it's pretty much the other way around. Zerg have suicide attackers, this is another of them. It works in a completely different way to the others and they don't share any lore or reasonings.

15. Laz

Laz New Member

Juggernaught131 as far as i can tell, your a new member ( You never know, some people just make new accounts) so if that's true then welcome. And also believe me, ItzaHexGor knows what he is talking about. That dude can right the biggest explanations you have ever seen and probably knows everything about SC so i wouldn't disagree with him.

16. hydralisk

hydralisk New Member

batavia new york
    I Think banelings hands down because i never really found a use for zergling personally but now i can just swarm a bunch of them on top of a base then transform them and from what i seen they morph pretty fast.

Plus if what i heard is they can be used as land mines. I'm not sure if this is correct but from what i heard when they are burrowed when a enemy unit walks over them they explode

17. marcusrodrigues

marcusrodrigues New Member

Brazil
    Never used Zergling? Zerglings with the attack speed increased are KILLING MACHINES. You should try that to see what I mean ;)

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Never..... Found a use.... For the Zergling.............?
    *Sits stock still trying to comprehend in incomprehensible piece of information*
    If by never, you mean always, then yes. If by never you meant never, then you're the oddest Zerg player I know. Zerglings are the backbone behind almost any Zerg game. Playing without them is like trying to play Protoss without Pylons or trying to play Terran without any metal.
    Ok, ok, ok. That might be a slight exaggeration, and I don't mean to say you're a crap player for doing what you do, but you get my drift. Hopefully.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Probably cuz he plays money maps thats why. When I was newb at SC I refrained from using Zerglings and loved using Hydralisks (mainly), Queen, Mutalisk, and Guardian.
    And yes, Cracklings are possibly the best units size for size.

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Not using Zerglings?...!?!
    Psionicz has a point, he's probably a MM player!