1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone's trying to redesign the thor but...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 31, 2007.

Everyone's trying to redesign the thor but...

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Those seats are kinda taken, lol.

2. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

there no unit that can splash damage air

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Viking Figher form might do small splash, and we have yet to see the Predator, so I would not say that yet.

4. Overling

Overling New Member

Even if there is a space, it doesn't need to be filled. It is ok to have gaps in your available startegy. Zergs in SC1 had no cloaked attacker, only after Broodwar, and same for aerial ATA with high HP. Besides scourges, what is there for air-air damage of the Zerg? Devourers take ages to fire again.

However, that's how Zergs are like. We want more diversity with terran units, but filling all gaps would take away the racial weakness, make it less unique. Thus, if this time the Terrans ain't got no air-splash, it is still good.

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Whats the difference between a Ultralisk and a Zergling? Nothing other than numbers. They should have one unit like this for each race. Something to replace your 1st unit. Thor should replace Marines extreme lategame. But actually I still saw TONS of zerglings mixed with ultralisks in most replays (I mostly watch Korean games because I'm not very good with Zerg :-[) Thor could be like a very big marine. Can shoot at air and ground, high HP and damage. However it costs gas and minerals and it's sorta clumsy. They just need to make it more like a tough assaulter and less like the siege tank.

6. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i consider the viking as a very large marine

7. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

viking/goliath was always for AA though, because you couldn't M&M with it.

8. Overling

Overling New Member

Not really. Ultras do not replace lings. Lings with Adrenal glands do a lot more damage. Lings are easily killed. Ultras on the other hand can wipe out a whole army (slowly but surely) and will only be stopped by a) many Goliaths; b) Siege-tanks in siege-mode; c) Spider-mines; d) Yamato-gun;

That's a HUGE difference. Even if at first glance it seems like an economical choice, one is a swarm of attackers, the other is a tanker.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Tanks are way to generic. Blizzard has been able to make them more unique by having them turn into artillery, but if they had another tank, what would make it unique? Also, the Firebat isn't a 'super marine', it is completely different to the Marine, the only similarities being that they both have the same body-suit, and both fight for the same faction. They both have different roles, different ways of attacking, different strengths and different weaknesses. There is less that can be done to differentiate tanks than there is to differentiate infantry and walkers.

EDIT:
    I don't know where you got this idea from, check it out on the official StarCraft2 website. It is most obviously in the 'Blink' demonstration, but is also in the concept. http://starcraft2.com/features/protoss/stalker.xml

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Itza. what i meant is that if a meatshield tank is a super siege tank, then the firebat also can be counted as a super marine. Because, a meatshield is VERY different from a siege tank, so to say. :p

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

What terrans currently have is a mobile artilery that happens to look like a tank while its in its moving mode. You use the siege mode 90% of the time.

So adding a true tank, a tank that moves and fires and doesnt need siege, doesnt have a minimum range, is strong(the siege tank is not very durable) has a powerful main cannon without sieging(maybe a lower range?MAYBE), maybe it has anti air guns, maybe a melee flamethrower? Maybe it has some shielding abilities(i.e units behind the tank cant be hit) There are so many options its a joke.

A normal tank, 300hp, 2-3 armor etc. Thats very different from the tank we have now.

The siege tank we have is just an artilery not a tank in any sense.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Exactly, I totally agree. Siege Tanks don't look very tank-ish when sieged, which is 90% of the time, if not more. Terrans don't have a meatshield (if the Thor is removed), and for those of you who doesn't think that they need one: why did blizzard make the Thor in the first place? That's right; because Terran needs some kind of tanker. And what would be the best tanker if not a tank, so to say?

13. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I can see this tank with thicker armor in front and on its sides, so it can deploy as a wall for instace. to defend the units behind it,this is just a thought.

Many ways to tinker with his abilities.

Edited*

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But adding things like front, side and rear armor/damage isn't very starcraft at all. I know C&C 3 used a system lke that for the tanks, but the few times I played it, I didnt even care to think about it. Positioning is ONE thing, but having to turn units around to take minimal damage just sucks, since the AI sometimes makes units turn around etc.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

i know, i removed that part, but deploying a wall is still there :)

I would like to see a concept of a true tank

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Taking hits for the units behind sounds ok, but needs to be thought through. For instance, Would it block air to ground attacks too? The Thor was tall and might have done that, but a tank would probably be to "flat". This would only work if the enemy unit and the one it's targeting are both ground. Secondly, would it Deploy the shield function like a ST? I would like it to be more of a passive ability instead of something that will make it look like a ST in some peoples eyes.

17. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

In the future, terran vehicles are so well designed that there is no weak spots, that why nobody pays attention to position

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

It could be a matrix-ish defensive field much like what the nomad has(having the same technology to several units?), that can activated like an ability with a certain range within the tank.

That might work if we dont want to have an actual physical wall that the tank deploys so it doesnt look like sieging of an actual siege tank.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Or maybe it just should have lots and lots of hp and armor? ^_^
    Maybe something to replace the thors artillery strike, something more defensive perhaps? Like Nomads nano repair. (just an example)

20. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Mhm i agree, i wouldnt mind having another damaging machine though, something that has good single target damage.

The siege tank, banshee, even the battlecruiser is better suited for multiple targets.

I want something that does a lot of damage to single targets, something warp ray-ish