1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engineering bay's and armories!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by L0ck and L04d, Aug 8, 2007.

Engineering bay's and armories!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by L0ck and L04d, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    It's true that you can just block attacks of the melee range, but that makes the Terrans awfully one-dimensional, don't you think?

I mean maybe this is just a difference of opinion, but I just feel that the Firebat has lost its relevance in SC1 and its a great unit. If they want to get rid of it that's fine, but I figured something should be able to help take its place. The current Reaper doesn't really do that.

The purpose of the Reaper is to be a mineral raider, or a harassment unit in Tier 2. After Tier 1, the Firebat is almost completely irrelevant in combat(this entire logic only applies if the Firebat is even IN SC2 in the first place). Therefore you have a unit pretty much sitting around after Tier 1 that is no longer really useful except to absorb hits. If you were to upgrade the Firebat (since its no longer of use anyway) into another unit (heck, MAKE THE REAPER HAVEN and make it an "upgrade" building, like the Factory's mechanic shop) and then when you produce the "Firebat" its a "Reaper" with jetpacks, but flamethrowers and then the bombs.

2. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

...didn't the marines have bayonets? what happened to that?

mechanics shop is gone, replaced by tech lab, which i think is a great idea. i honestly dont seem any point for the firebat being around at all, having it be there and upgrade it to the reaper, all that just for the sake of having the firebat there? and i think blizzard wants us to use new strategies with their new units, and some people might opt to just keep the firebat all throughout the game.

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Okay, I agree with you. If Blizzard decides not to return the Firebat, so be it.

I just feel Terran will be rather confined in Tier 1 since they won't have a unit to combat the Zealot's melee prowess. That was the entire function of the firebat.

So if the Firebat is not returned to SC2, my point is moot. There is no unit to upgrade anyway, but there will still be a hole in Terran's ability to counter other melee units in Tier 1.

EDIT: My reference to the mech shop was just an example from SC1.

4. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

no really, wtf happened to the bayonet?

the terrans are meant for ranged combat, take them as they are. besides, how how many zealots can attack a marine at once? 5, tops. dozens of marines could attack a zealot at the same time. they can concentrate their fire on a unit at a time and whittle them down, while usually, zealots would spread out and attack like 5 marines.

5. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes but remember trying to fight off Zealots in Tier 1 with just Marines? It's pretty much impossible without using bunkers or your SCVs.

That puts the Terran player at a severe disadvantage.

6. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

which is why you used two supply depots and a barracks

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Right, but that would leave you with only one option of defeating Tier 1 attacks. You would be REQUIRED to close off your base and remain inside it until Tier 2 with Tanks/Vultures.

That trims a lot of the early game abilities of the Terran right out of the game.

8. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

What if you picked stim-packed firebats with medics? I think these stand a fairer chance vs. Zealots in the field, don't they? I was never much of a Terran player to really know this. =/

9. Gold

Gold New Member

ure still treating it like an expansion pack, the game litterlally works differently.
    Now terran can have that addon which builds two units at once, (how early you can get that hasnt been answered for, tbh i havnt really been keeping up to date with this stuff) which sounds like the perfect defence for early zealot rush or zergling rush (thats if zerglings build two at a time, or two halfs at once, which everway you want to look at it)

Secondly, the firebat was useless mid late gae, whislt the reaper is useful for
    prode/base raping early
    heavy unit killing , (which is something the firebat coudnt do, infact since the reaper can deal with both small units like zerglings and heavy units, And bases, and they are fast, they infinetley more usefull than both the vulture and the firebat ever where.)
    we have seen how blizzard are approaching balance with with things like immortals being sorta heavy units killers, the reuslt of which is that they are acutally vunerable to units like reapers (same with warp rays) the result seems to be that no unit is ever totatlly useless no matter waht tier it is.

Lastly for the sake of creativity and imagination it is far more intresting to be able to build 4 reapers at once from that building, which is something i have never seen before in an rts (although i havnt played hat many, feel free to correct me) that jsut geting an upgrade for firebats.

10. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

ummm i don't want to interupt...but isint this topic suposed to be about engineering bays and armories?

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Yes, but it evolved into the discussion of buildings, and then journied on to the inevitable hot topic of reapers/firebats.

Which back to the original point of the post, I do believe the Engineering Bay will still be able to lift off in SC2 just like it did in SC1!!!

Gold, my point was that if they're doing away with the Firebat, that's all fine and dandy. But since the Reaper will probably be a Tier 2 unit, and the Firebat becomes obselete in Tier 1... why not just have the Firebat upgrade to the Reaper at Tier 2????

EDIT: It would save a wasted building........ Then you could just have the upgraded unit appear 4 at a time.

12. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

You're going to need the bar if you're planing on using ghosts at all! I think it was a great idea to also use to create a unit. It feels, better hiering mercenaries from a bar then training them.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Ah, yes, I remember the last time I hired four guys from the Blue Man Group from a bar and gave them jetpacks and dual pistols....

That was an interesting night.

14. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

ah, i reemmber the last time i strapped flamethrowers to a guy's back and told him they were jetpacks. also, i gave him bombs. totally worth the trip to the hospital

15. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

errrr...I can't tell if youre being sarcrastic, funny or telling the strange truth?