1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Terran need a new air unit or a better one?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Cotcan, Mar 26, 2009.

?

1. a new air unit

43.5%
  2. Change a current air unit

8.7%
  3. Change all the air units

4.3%
  4. Current air

43.5%

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Cotcan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

That's the Mutalisk's upgrade, Kimera757.

2. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

ow ! I forgot this important unit ! It is the mutalisk's upgrade, but it is an independant unit afterwards, with another utility than the mutalisk

3. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    it seems, that this time the focus is no longer on aerial combat.
    Vikings are non-dedicated aerial/ground units.
    Banshees are dedicated ground attack units.
    Battlecruisers are capital ships so...

Mutalisks attack both air and ground.
    Scourge... Terrorist? Pure AtA, but...
    Guardian - AtG
    Corrupter - More like a spellcaster

Pheonix - AtA, but feels like the Corsair, which was useless against everything but Mutalisks, Scourge and Overlords
    Carrier - capital ship
    Mothership - capital ship
    Warp Ray - kinda

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Scourges? they arent in SC2 right now. right now the only zerg air units that can harm the enemy are the Mutalisk, the Guardian and the Corruptor. the only other air units are the Overlord(supply and abilitying support unit) and the Overseer(again supply and ability supporting unit).

5. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    I dont like the protoss air units right now, only 3 if i remember ( i don't check very often, only watching the SC2 catagories) phoenix, carrier and mothership,
    they need the overload back, it was pretty good, or just a better splash attack because they only have the psi storm that really would kill a muta swarm if not microed out of there.
    they need like a specialty GTA turret that deals splash.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  6. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

No, the protoss have 4 now. The void ray is the 4th one. Now because of these posts I understand why the protoss don't have the overload anymore. It's because whey would kill everyone else. All other races would just die against protoss air. The protoss would become the only used race.

7. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

hey ! why shouldn't the Terran get a special air unit that .... huh ......commits suicide ?

déjà vu :( ... sorry, but this is a suggestion. no offense.

8. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

That would be cool. Have like the viking launch controllable missiles. Imagine the damage you could do with that. An entire zerg base gone in seconds. But each viking would only get 1 missile at a time, and the missile must die before the missile ability can start recharging. AKA start building a second missile.

9. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    I think Battlecruisers will fill the Air to Light Air role well enough without the missile pods and very well if you have a couple with the missile pod upgrades. Until you get to high tier units though a terran will have to rely on vickings and ground support.

I love the nighthawk, I think hunter seeker missiles are better than irradiate / EMP. Irradiate and EMP were useless in some situations and insanely powerful in others, the missiles on the other hand are useful in more situations but one or two missiles will never be able to do quite as much damage as a really lucky EMP or some well planned irradiate erasers. And even if the enemy dodges the missiles, they've still served a purpose by forcing a temporary retreat and it will be up to the skill of both players to make the most out of it.

10. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

yeah, the nighthawk is very cool ! The hunter seeker missiles were so amazing ! This unit is one of my favorite now !

11. onlyhuman

onlyhuman New Member

i think the terran need an air unit that doesnt look like a fat kiwi bird. i'd rather have a more basic air unit that is sleek and versatile in design, like an F16 or an Xwing fighter. or they could just modify the viking's airmode look, how is it supposed to fly with all that bulk?
    yeah, i liked the predator, but they removed it.

edit: sorry for the double posting

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  12. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Please do not double post.

The thing about the predator I didn't like was the intercept mode, how the heck could they have really balanced that one well?

And they looked kind of funny.

13. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

I have never seen the predator. Could someone send a link to a picture of it? Maybe it's stats too.

14. onlyhuman

onlyhuman New Member

15. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

They must of got rid of it for balancing reasons.

16. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

How do we counter mass mutalisks now though? I used Valkyrie+Wraiths in Starcraft 1 against them, but are we limited to Vikings and Battlecruisers now?

17. vaughantel

vaughantel Guest

Vikings and Thors are both solid counters to mutalisks harass. Vikings deal double the damage to mutalisks versus Wraiths at longer range, cost 20% less, have 70% the build time and can be double pumped with a reactor add-on to the starport, which could be prebuilt for the starport if a Viking rush was on your mind. They're also slightly more survivable with a few more hp and +1 armor to start.

Thors deal 5x8 (today, at least) splash damage with a range of 10, so stacked or even clumped mutalisks would be pretty vulnerable. Just on numbers an unupgraded Thor could take down 11 stacked mutalisks wthout being destroyed.

I think these are both superior to wraiths, and even for the cost the Thor is superior to missile turrets. Nothing will be as good as the valkyrie was, but that's life.

18. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

The reason why no one uses the valkyrie is because it locks up and doesn't shoot. As for a new air unit.... just.... Bring back the wraith I mean there was nothing wrong with that and if any one here says its useless go back and learn how to play BW again because wraith macro was devastating to economies.

19. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Terran have there viking which are awesome attack versus armored units and the thor is very powerful versus air and ground units.

Marines also have a lot more survivability then they did in Sc1.

ghosts are pretty good too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Hum, i'm wondering if the people u played didnt make enough AA or have u not watched enough Pro korean matches cause i rarely see Wraiths....

Look the Wraith and viking have almost i dentical stats except the viking has a bit more life and does more dmg to heavy air. The job of the wraith was split into 2 brand new units and both units do a better job then what the wraith did. Banshees do more gound dmg vikings do more air dmg. If you brought back wraiths u might as well AXE banshee and the wraith cause there both are ment to supass there younger brother the wraith.