1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want zerg/protoss hybrid units to be part of the zerg?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by pajamasalad, Sep 23, 2007.

?

1. Yes I would like the zerg to have protoss/zerg hybrids as part of their units.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No I want the zerg/protoss hybrids to be part of the campaign only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by pajamasalad, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Recon

Recon New Member

I think it could work either way. It would be nice to have another unit to get when playing zerg but it would also be cool to keep it campaign only because that makes them that much cooler when you see them. i would be happy either way.

2. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

Good point, yet the Zerg assimilate species through genetic engineering. You are right that it must be their OWN engineering, and as such, they could not control Duran's hybrids, that doesn't mean Kerrigan couldn't come up with some of her own. 4yrs ago Duran said that hybrids were beyond Kerrigans comprehension, but hey it's been 4 years, who knows what could happen.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'm not really too sure about the process of the Zerg's assimilation but I always tended to think of genetic engineering as something that is done technologically (and unable to be done by Zerg), and the assimilation being done biologically (able to be done by Zerg). However if the Hybrid has been engineered to respond to Kerrigan's, Duran's, the Overmind's or a Cerebrate's orders then it would make sense that it could be on the Zerg team, and I wouldn't be suprised or even disappointed if it was. However I still believe that the Hybrid should be a unit that is exclusively in the campaigns.

4. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

I think Hybrids as part of the campaign would definitely spice up the game. I would love to see that; some kind being in the zerg would be a bonus. I am more looking forward to some type of humanoid Zerg unit, readily hatched from larvae :good: Terrans have been infested long enough, now its time fore ASSIMILATION >:D.

Genetic engineering is pretty interesting, it is a natural biological phenomenon: Viruses and Bacteria readily change their genetic code by introducing and accepting foreign DNA&RNA. I've gotten the change to work in labs (i'm a college student), and what you really are doing is just coaxing these cells or viruses to do what they would naturally do, we just control the situation=> what it is they assimilate, but assimilation is a natural process. :)
    It's like working with a moving train, you can delay it, add or remove things, with great effort you can even steer its direction a little bit, but it will always try to move forward. Biology has its natural course which can be manipulated, but you must go along with its natural progression.

According to the lore book, the original worm-like zerg could manipulate the DNA of its host, (which makes them like parasites and retroviruses at the same time), most genetic engineering uses retroviruses to bioengineer. We make use of naturally occuring events 8) (sorry if I bored you with my nerdy lecture, I think retroviruses are pretty interesting :p)

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Your not the only one that finds Genetic Engineering interesting, I enjoy reading about it as well!

But back on the topic of if the Hybrids will actually become a part of the Zerg force. Now that I've thought about it, I reckon that they will definitely join the Swarm. After all, a similar thing happened with the Dark Templar in StarCraft1: BroodWar. There was a lot of debate about the Dark Templar and at the time seemed to be completely different to the Protoss and there a lot of people were not happy that they had joined the Protoss team. However after everyone had finished the campaigns, it made sense that they were. I believe that the same thing will happen with the Hybrid, because at the moment, it doesn't really seem like they should be with Zerg if your thinking of it as a multi-player player, but after completing the campaigns, they'll hve an official explanation on how and why they are a part of Zerg. Besides... If you were designing the game, I bet that you'd much rather add in this already thought up/linked into the plot unit to multi-player than have to think up a completely new unit that might not even fit in as well. The Hybrid is pretty much just saving them from having to think up more ideas.

6. Protoss Kills Infinitely

Protoss Kills Infinitely New Member

I reckon it'd be good to have the hybrids but i reckon it sort of doesn't fit the zerg fully...So i'm half-half against/with it

7. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well responding to the Dark Templar and protoss thing does fully make sense since the protoss are actual full protoss that have just left the main body. The hybrids are much different in the fact that they are not a natural being and that they have been produced and have not ever been part of the zerg. (Yes I know part of them have but the actual whole creature has not been) I do not think the hybrids can be part of the zerg since they have the potent psychic abilities of the protoss they can not just be controlled by someone like kerrigan and since they are like the protoss this would make assimilation by the zerg extremely hard for the same reason they haven't been able to infest the protoss because of their natural psychic abilities. I personally want the hybrids to be a campaign race and would love to see them in the game but for actually being part of the zerg I would have to say no.

P.S. This is by far the longest post I've ever made on this site.

8. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

While it is theoretically possible for the zerg to have infested protoss to make a hybrid, I agree with everyone else on this thread who have said that the hybrids are a Xel'Naga creation. Everything we have seen so far, from Duran's mission to Zeratul in the campaign mode have pointed to the return of the Xel'Naga as the reason for and the handlers of the hybrids. I don't think they will be under Zerg control. And they would probably be ridiculously overpowered anyway.

9. missamanda

missamanda New Member

I really wouldn't want the zerg to have like some fleet of hybrid units... the idea of infestation is much more probable... because when you fuse two things together it retains the properties of both, therefor making a confusing character because it would make sense that a hybrid would be able to draw upon both bloodlines/abilities just like mixed people today have qualities of both (or all) of their backgrounds...

10. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

No, the hybrid units should be a separate race by itself, that can only be played in the campaign. I mean, Duran created them, but he revealed that he wasn't infested after all, but was the servant of a greater power. If he is working for a greater power, why would the hybrids go to the zerg? They should go to this greater power, which means that the hybrids will be a new race, with its own buildings and units.

What does that mean?

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ ssjfox.
    Actually if you remember all the discussions that went on just before the release of BroodWar, this is almost the exact same scenario. It was believed that, even though Dark Templar were originally Protoss, they were not allied with the Protoss nor was there a reason for them to be allied with Protoss because the Dark Templar were still outcasts (similar to the Hybrid being made from Zerg DNA and made by people who are on the Zerg team, but not actually a Zerg unit) so they were not part of the classic Protoss Team that everyone was used to (similar to the Hybrid not being considered completely 'Zerg'). And the situations are almost identical, by having a unit that does not seem to fit at the moment, but after finishing the campaigns there will be a logical reason for them to be allied/a part of the multi-player team. Besides it saves Blizzard from having to think up a brand new idea for a new Zerg unit.
    Why do people keep on saying this! Units will only be overpowered if Blizzard programs them to be! If the Hybrid is on the Zerg team then they will not be overpowered/underpowered! They will be balanced to fit in with the team. There is no logical reason for people to just say " *Insert unit name here* is going to be overpowered/underpowered". Every unit will end up being either well-balanced or they will have a major weakness against a certain unit type.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

check it out here

13. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Why do people forget Hybrids are implied to be extremely strong?

When Duran talks to Zeratul (Dark Origin campaign), he says that when the hybrids wake up, it spells doom for the planetary system they are in. This implied the hybrids are so strong they could overrun even the Zerg swarms which are extremely resistant to hostile invasions.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They don't necessarily have to be strong, just a little stronger than the Zerg already are. After all, these Hybrids will probably be able to breed like the Zerg do, so if they can multiply to the same size of the Swarm and are stronger than them, then that would be the problem. The problem isn't just that they're so strong that their strength matches the Zergs' numbers.

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They're strong in the storyline, not necessarily in the game itself. A marine could probably kill a zergling in the story, but a zergling could kill a marine in-game. There's a lot more factors than just the story that goes into creating and balancing units. It's just a numbers game in the end.

16. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Thats not fact, that is just your opinion, we don't know if the Xel'Naga assisted Duran or not, or if Duran is a Xel'Naga himself. If he is a Xel'Naga, then you can't say the hybrids weren't a creation of theirs.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It is shown in the campaign 'Dark Storms' that it is Duran that is the one who is genetically engineering these new Protoss and Zerg Hybrids, so it is not made by the Xel'Naga themselves, if they are involved at all in their creation. Besides Duran cannot be one of the Xel'Naga (if it really is them) because he says: "I am a servant of a far greater power [than Zerg]. A power that has slept for countless ages.". This means that he can't be one of them because he's their servant. The Hybrids were not created by the Xel'Naga nor were they made by using the same methods that the Xel'Naga used when creating Zerg and Protoss. They were made by Duran. Even if the Xel'Naga have ordered him to make the Hybrid, the Hybrids themselves were NOT made by the Xel'Naga, they were made by Duran.

18. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Dark Origin you fool! Anyway, do note that as long as the Xel'naga even asked Duran to help them, it would be considered their creation, as Duran was merely carrying out orders. They would take the credit if people asked who did it. Anyway, the hybrids may be useful in driving off hostile Xel'naga (Zeratul's reference to them implies hostilities). But I would not agree to them being in the zerg army UNLESS the hybrids of Duran have an extra label that says that they are made by Duran and not made by Kerrigan.

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i'm not even sure that duran is a xel'naga, i don't know what he is

20. pajamasalad

pajamasalad New Member

I vaguely remember in the Starcraft campaign that the reason the zerg attacked the protoss was to make them part of the swarm. Did they abandon that mission or am I not remembering it correctly.