1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want a marine with a bayonnet and a shield ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Must the marine keep the bayonnet and/or the shield ?

1. Yes, both of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the bayonnet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but just the shield

100.0%
  4. No, none of them !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Change them by a launch-grenade !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Do you want a marine with a bayonnet and a shield ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

oh yeah i tottally forgot the stim pack..... then yeah that would be broken.....

Actually i would like it if they made the marine without the sheild..... it just isn't the marine anymore. a plasma bayonet maybe but a sheild never..

2. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Trooper. They're in bloody cybernetic power suits. I'm pretty sure they can handle shooting a gun in one hand. And the shield puts a barrier between the marine and his opponent if only for a moment. But that moment would be more than enough to help them out.

3. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i agree with hadean. The power suit would negate any weight effects of having the shield and I don't see any reason why having a shield attached to your arm would make you pull a trigger slower...

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What do you think a riot is?

5. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

cause a zergling has way more class than a 'impeach bush' protestor :p

6. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

< agreed with what most ppl are saying... as pointed out in another thread - the only reasons shields and bayonets aren't used more on modern battlefields is because humans are so frail

the potential firepower of a human greatly outweighs the potential defense... and so, melee combat isn't a real concern on a human battlefield.... nobody can GET to close range

but in StarCraft, the Protoss have psionic shields... and now they can close at superspeed - and the Zerg could always run really fast.... so it was HARD for a marine to kill an opponent before it closed range.... which defeats the whole philosophy behind modern warfare

and so, they must adapt

7. -LT-

-LT- New Member

With a thicker armor! Not with a stupid shield.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

just by looks i would say remove the bayonet and the shield

just by logic i say keep it this way

by both i say remove the bayonet

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

But shield looks ridiculous. It's better without it.

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think you just need to get used to them

11. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    I really don't know about the idea of marines having a bayonet. Even if most of the marines enemies (mainly zealots and zerglings) get close, he would still use his gauss rifle. Think about it, if a gauss rifle can't easily kill his enemies, then how can a bayonet kill or even finish the job?

12. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

if uber hard combat knives from the future cant kill a zealot, how the hell does a zergling?

13. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    Zerglings can't even kill a zealot even if there are 2 of them.

14. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Josh. He's just saying, if the knife cant hurt, than the zergling shouldn't even be able to damage a Zealot's shield. And the knife gives the marine the ability to use his weapon not as a gun but as a melee weapon. You dont aim and stab. you hold your rifle akin to a spear or club, strike your enemy and then stab them while down. Thats how a bayonet works. Or you hold it out against a charge and impale those that run into it. I dont see how its NOT effective. Zerg have claws, but uber sharp ginsu knive bayonets are like safety scissors somehow?

15. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The shield is useful ! It is also useful for the marine. But the marine of Starcraft 1 didn't have one, and the shield is something weir for a criminal like the marine. It is useless. Even if it could save him. But we don't want a marine with the shield. Maybe a better armor, but not a shield. The marines just runs straight forward to kill everything in front of him. So the shield is useless.

And the bayonet ? NO WAY ! period

Anyway the marines holds the gun with both hands How can he take the shield with him. What ? On his shoulder ? NO !

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the shield is a part of the power suit, you don't need to hold it.

17. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

What about if the shield could compact itself within the forearm area of the armor, electronically? They would utilize it in combat, and compact it when on the go to increase their mobility.

I really don't think it is at all necessary for the game, but just to hopefully satisfy those who think the shield would make marines less mobile.

18. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

about the shield looking stupid... that's easy to fix - remodel it... the concept however is good

and a shield is more helpful than thicker armor - there are limitations on how thick the armor can be based on maneauveribilty - to make the armor thicker, and have the marine still have the same range of movement, the whole scale would have to be increased - a shield however can be quite thick without affecting anything - especially considering that the battle armor deals with it's weight

19. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

ok, so the shield is going to look really stupid. What do you guys think of a plasma bayonet, or at least like a thick piece of metal thats sharp and has a minor electrical charge? you dont have to stop shooting to use it, for example you could stab a zealot when he got in melee range and keep firing adding 1 or 2 damage points to the 6 or so damage your doing already when. I

20. -LT-

-LT- New Member

They shouldn't make it thicker, but from other material so it's harder. Or at least they should
    remodel the shield and make it smaller.