Do you want a marine with a bayonnet and a shield ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Must the marine keep the bayonnet and/or the shield ?

1. Yes, both of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but just the bayonnet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but just the shield

100.0%
  4. No, none of them !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Change them by a launch-grenade !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Do you want a marine with a bayonnet and a shield ?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by SOGEKING, Sep 30, 2007.

1. MobileInfantry

MobileInfantry New Member

The shields ok with me, I dont get why some people think the shield is like made of paper. Like someone said. Its probably a durable hardened material that can withstand a good amount of hits. Plus, see how much shields did a difference in 300. It may be a movie, but it still shows what the Spartans did or could of done with them back then. I also understand that its not just metal swords anymore but psi blades and claws, that still doesn't mean the shield is useless. As for the bayonet. I don't like it very much, doesn't seem to help even if it was made of that same hardened material. But for cinematic sake, it would be pretty cool to see a marine run out of ammo, then ramming a zergling with the shield and shoving the bayonet into it and into a wall.

2. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    ^ I agree.
    I also think the shield should break after the marine loses a certain number of hit points, this wouldn't be practical because the medic can heal, but it would be a cool cinematic touch.

3. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

That would be pretty neat, to see the shields brake, i also wondered; would the shield reduce ranged weapons, and by that i am specifying towards the hydra category, damage. That would make sense imo since they would just hit the shields and damage them. Then after the shields brake the marine takes the hit. Of course a laser projectile would just burn through it or something, but mayb this shield could deflect some of the laser particles or whatever...

4. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I don't think either the shield or the bayonet is nonsensical.

Terran armor plating as a whole demonstrates at least adequate protection against all manner of attacks, we know this because our Battlecruisers, Siege Tanks, and even Marine combat suits withstand a reasonable amount of damage, regardless of it's source.

So if Terrans can make body armor that is useful, why can't they make a useful shield? No reason. And as far as it's practicality on the battlefield... shields are still in use by police forces even today. A shield is useful against a melee or close range attacking enemy. The Protoss and Zerg both use melee attacks a good deal more than humans typically do - so it makes sense that the Terrans would adapt to the changing battlefield dangers and give themselves better close range fighting ability.

Which dovetails right into why the bayonet makes sense also. If I had to stand on a battlefield with my main threats coming from psionic dagger wielding and shielded warriors capable of short-range virtual teleportation AND metabolicly boosted, giant biting frog-dogs.... I'd want something for close range combat too.

5. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

well then units with a sheild should move slower. thats extra metal is probaly gonna slow u down... and a zergling is gonna kill u once its on you.... your not gonna live if u don't kill it from range first. lol.

6. Flesh

Flesh New Member

I agree with NateSMZ, there is much sense in using both shield and a bayonnet regardless of the fact the Terrans are using hi-tech units.

Why shields make sense? Look at it this way. Why don't modern soldiers carry shields? Because a shield that is capable of stopping a machinegun bullet would be just to heavy and impractical for a normal human soldier to carry. However, SC Marines are using power armors that, obviously have servo enhacements. This means that carrying a heavy 200kg shield is no problem for a SC Marine.
    So if a soldier is capable of carrying a shield that is thick enough to stop a bullet - then why not take that shield into battle?
    Why does bayonnet make sense? Today soldiers seldomly use bayonnetes. Why? Because they cannot get close enough to use them. The enemy is too far away for you to stab him with your rifle. However, in SC enemies are not far away. In fact, zerglings and zaelots are alway toe to toe with marines so there are plenty of situations where a bayonnete would be useful.

What I am trying to say is that, you cannot argue the removal of bayonnete and shields saying they do not make sense because they do make a lot of sense for marines to use. You can however, argue that from the design aspect shields and bayonnets don't fit the SC marines. My opinion is that shildes should stay only as an upgrade because it makes the marines look stronger but their desing should be changed into something less flashy and more military/practical looking (actualy the design of the entire game should be less flashy and cartoonish). But the bayonnetes should be completely removed because they are too archaic and simply do not fit the marine look.

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

personally i think the bayonet looks cool, they look like tiny light-sabers in some of the screen shots, all blizzard need to do is say that they are plasma bayonet and everything would be fine.

8. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Yep, keep in mind, lore wise, if you run out of bullets, you still have the bayonet and the shield, its not much, buts its much better than bare hands.

Even in today's overboosted offense and flimsy defense soldiers carry knives.

Why should they carry knives if we have machine guns? Because the situation may turn out that you need it.

Think about the typical 6 seconds of the marine.

A zergling charges you, you start shooting it, it runs into you, and while you're shooting, you stick the bayonet in it and push it backwards while you're shooting it. Effective? Yes sir.

9. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

the reason why soldiers today have knives are for silent kills,and there way less lighter than a bayonet on a gun. thats why we don't use them..... And the fact that once a zealot gets into melee with marines in sc1.. there usually dead.... it took 2 hits for a zealot to kill a marine(they may have changed that abit). and a marine in the game.... how would he use his bayonet.... when enemies get close... and start meleeing. then that would make the marine crappy. marines usually don't killl units before they reach them such as melee. maybe they should make it a on and off feature.... like u can click between range and melee on the marine.

10. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I like DKutrovsky's description - upgraded Marines should melee stick units that get close while still shooting them too

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

mhm, you can have 1 spike damage when attacking the marine at melee range when he has the bayonet upgrade, and maybe just from the front, not hard to do, and its kinda nice, if they do that, and maybe make it 2 damage although that might be a lil too much, i might not want the firebat AS bad, although i would still like to have him.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Of course a shield could be useful for the marine. But for me I don't like the aspect of a marine with a shield. When I see the marine this is this armored soldier with a gun, without a bayonnet and without a shield.

THAT 's a Terran marine.

If we can upgrade the marine this is, in parallel with the gun and armor three upgrades, the launch-grenade. But that could have been added with the former gun, not the newest one.

13. Patlidzan

Patlidzan New Member

I think shields are quite usefull, they use shields today.... they can stop most handgun and even rifle rifle rounds (probably not the 50 cal)rounds.... it probably would be usefull in the sc universe aswell...but i dont think that the marines should have em, it just doesnt fit their mentality i mean they are hardened criminals who dont give a shit about anithing, just listen to their quotest, hey are the collest units in the sc universe and they wouldnt hide behind a shield.....

14. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Can Blizzard think of something else like hardened suits of marines instead
    of those shields? I mean they're just not cool.

15. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    So i'm gonna go out on a limb and say anyone who things a shield and bayonet are useless have down syndrome.

So I guess thats why SWAT uses riot shields right? Or why Riot police use riot shields? Cause they're useless? I'm pretty sure it's one of the best things for close combat as you can defend against an attacker and attack back with it. What might be better than the bayonet on the rifle would be two bayonets protruding from the shield itself. Regardless, really now, who honestly believes either to be useless?

*edit* pat. Not every marine is an ex-con they've explained that dozens of times. Secondly, if you brainwash people to do shit for you, thats an expensive proposition, no? Well, lets make money sense and give the guys something to keep them alive longer.

16. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

There's no room for ego on the battlefield, this aint a beuty contest, you dont like to have a shield? Dont upgrade it and die, hardened suits doesnt offer the defense a shield can offer, you cant make it as thick, plus a shield is very easy, and very cheap to slap on.

Bayonet...well damn, even Arnold Scharzenegger had a freaking bayonet in Predator 1, and he killed the guy, that says something lol.

17. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

ok comparing current day reasons as why we use sheilds is pointless. riot teams are not fighting highly intelligent creatures that want to do nothing more but kill you. No there fighting humans who are way weaker and not as violent..... But back on topic. A sheild is useless....and i will exsplain why. If they added a sheild to the marine then his accuracy should be reduced and he should be slower. Unless they made the sheild a forearm attachment or something so is that the marine can use both hands.

Edit. maybe make the sheild like the sheild skill on WC3 the human footmen has. That way it would make the marine slower but maybe increase his defense maybe 20-30%. That way it wouldn't be broken..

Edit. To Dk that was a freagin movie...... wow.....plus predator is like maybe a negative tier zealot... if that....

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    The shield has to be a forearm attachment, it would be impossible to hold the gun otherwise. Plus, I think I saw that in a trailer or something. Also, a skill that increases a Marine's defense is just bad. I won't go into it, but it's a bad idea.

19. Trooper34

Trooper34 New Member

i was saying that the sheild would be the skill that raises its defense.... but the marines would move slower... and possibly attack slower.

20. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yeah, I know what you meant. It's not a good idea at all. Marines already get Stim Pack, which doubles movement and attack speed. Combined with that skill, it would be quite imba. It doesn't feel right, either. I don't know about you, but I don't care much about all this lore stuff about why something can/can't do this. I want a great game, no sense in worrying about little things such as this.